Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

That's because the Government are ethically bound to ignore and multiply any quote they got. Remember being shocked a few years ago when the Dept of Ed spent almost 23m for the Harolds Cross Greyhound site, when the valuation had been 12m...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/bord-na-gcon-to-use-6m-from-harold-s-cross-sale-to-improve-other-dog-tracks-1.4044458

I'm sure I remember similar for the Shellybanks site

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I hear on NT there a few mins ago that the Department has revised the guidelines to schools to say that children should not be excluded for not wearing a mask, but rather that the school should engage "pragmatically and sensitively" with the parents.

That's the end of that so.. removed without actually removing it. Sounds like someone in the Department got legal advice. Should never have been introduced in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I know of one child on the spectrum, who will now be home schooled, because while she has an exemption from wearing a mask, she doesn't want to be the only one not wearing a mask.

Unintended consequences - kids don't think like adults.This is the developmental stuff we have all forgotten as adults.Decision makers need to really think about the necessity of these rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Our primary school has now ceased homework for the remainder of term.

They were always homework-lite, but this is taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

They reduce outbreaks among those unlikely to be seriously affected?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Why?(to both points -if you don't mind me asking)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They provide a calming influence for those led by the hysteria and hyperbolic nonsense that characterises virtually our entire response to this "crisis" and the media coverage/level of "debate" on same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I don't know if it's the whole school this time, but 2 classes at least. Back in September when they abstained from homework, it was school-wide.

I'm presuming Covid overheads for the teacher is the justification, but those Covid overheads often seem to apply in the run-up to a break. There were also homework-less periods for the week leading up to mid term, sub week and some other random treat days for the pupils. Out of 90ish school days this term, I think there has been homework for around 30 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

There's only 2 full weeks left of school for this term and more generally it's a good move on the schools part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not understanding why homework is an issue wrt covid?

Our school has plenty of homework.

Will be interesting to hear what teachers had to say about masks today once kids get home. My 2 are wearing them ok, they have no issue with them but I know some parents (not many) were taking a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Homework at primary school level is generally viewed as being of limited benefit to students. I'd imagine your school is either phasing it out or reducing it in line with the evidence. Many schools are redrafting their homework policies. I can't see the connection between it and covid but happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Would the fact that the teachers might be handling thirty copybooks a day every day, coming from all different households not be a bit of an issue

Unlikely, all homework is photographed and submitted online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

No. Well it shouldn't be. Fomite transmission looks to be very unlikely. Almost negligible. Its all about the air we breathe.

This is incompetently (or conveniently, depending on which way you look at it) rarely talked about by government and health officials in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Surinamo

Smiling reduces stress levels and stimulates endorphins as does being smiled at. Babies and young children love to see smiles 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Alot of parents fail to realize that a significant proportion of teachers who like to give out significant amounts of homework are sometimes compensating for what should have been done in the classroom. If the material was properly covered in the classroom that day, there's little need for much in the way of homework and this is particularly true in primary schools and in the younger classes. Parents would do well to remember this and that giving out lots of homework does not necessarily equate to a good teacher and good teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

Our School has become fairly lite on homework too, I am delighted, homework achieves nothing, gives parents a pain their ass, causes nothing but stress, my girls walk to school and walk home and according to their teacher put in a great effort at school and work hard. They are shattered by 4pm and up at 7am. About time schools gave it up completely.

Homework can be beneficial. One rencounters information in a different setting (home) and helps embed knowledge and skill. But too much of anything is counterproductive. School day could be shortened -too much emphasis on knowledge and not enough on cultivating wisdom. I wonder if students feel tirder after a days mask wearing - Whatever about benefits, I would assume oxygen intake is decreased with some significance with partially restrictive breathing?

Ah, "fail to realize" and "would do well to remember". Some old school phraseology there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When all this is over, and a review of how things were handled is done, will it be found that the Government/NPHET blatently lied about the schools being safe originally?

Over the last few days, I have heard various experts say how the schools are a hive of infections at present, and they are accounting for a third of all cases in the country.

Yet they were safe as houses only a few months back, claimed many times by NPHET.

What changed? Or as stated, was it all a pack of lies to keep them open?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

It was all a pack of lies to keep them open. And the really dopey lapped up the unscientific nonsense about how it was play dates and sleepovers were the issue.

Our govt and nphet have nothing but contempt for us, they really think we are absolute gombeens.

Post edited by M_Murphy57 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Why do you want your kids getting so much homework?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'd love if ours ditched the homework. Mind you my lad only spends 5 minutes on it anyway but I'd love not to have to remember to ask if he's done it every day.

It is good to show an interest in a child’s work - build encouragement, connect, observe, guide, and show pride and reward in work well done. When I train students I watch them work and ask what they think of the result -each day guiding, striving to be better until it becomes natural - instilling a sense of pride and self-value. The fruits of this labour shape character and bear reward at a later time. 👍

Maybe we have different definitions of 'so much' but I'd be perfectly happy if our 6th classer got 30 minutes of homework per day. Including weekends.

Is it unreasonable to expect our 4th class son to spend as much time doing homework during the week as he does playing soccer? And that's before we consider his other activities.

I think it's useful to build independence and take responsibility for getting something done in their own time.

Plus, ever since Covid, work in school has stayed in school, so we have less visibility of how they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Well as parents we do that in every other aspect of his life so I don't see the problem with letting him have 5 minutes a day to do something independently of us that his teacher will check anyway. He's 10, not 5, so I trust that he will do the work to the best of his ability and according to his teacher his homework is always of an excellent standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Do the newest school rules make sense? Positive case in household. Son took PCR test, negative. School instructed son to stay home for a week and have three negative antigen tests. The PCR result is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah thats all correct. Close contact procedures were changed a few weeks ago for everyone not just schools. Household contacts restrict movement for 5 days while doing antigen tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Yeah, I know dem's the rules, but what's the point of an antigen test after a negative PCR test? Just wondering what the reasoning is for myself.

Advertisement