Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airbus C-295 to replace Casa C-235

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Government issue hotel rooms are what I'm used to. It's the feeling of the carpet under your toes. Like brillo pads but not as clean. The search to find what part of the bathroom doesn't work. Turning the TV up loud enough that (a) you can hear it and (b) you can't hear the "noise" from the room next door. Going for early breakfast only to realise breakfast is not served on weekends or Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I feel you brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I see that the Brazilian armed forces have cancelled about 50% of their order for the KC 390 airlifter. This frees up some production slots which would mean a timely opportunity to place an order for one or two of these for early delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭sparky42

It also means a smaller user base with knock on costs.

I don't imagine that the running costs of one aircraft is going to cripple the economy, given that it will be fairly lightly used. In fact the AC could probably make some money doing a bit of charter work on an ad hoc basis

• Advertisement

We don't buy capital acquisitions outside of Europe. Forget the Embraer.

To be fair, weren't the RG32M's from South Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

An our Rangers & landcrusiers

I stand corrected the landcrusiers come from portugal

Post edited by roadmaster on

Its absolutely correct that the Ford Ranger and the RG32 are built in South Africa, however procurement was through Ford of Europe and BAE Land Systems UK respectively.

Just as with Pilatus, where much of the mission kit was fitted in Colorado, it is to be expected that a fair bit of all the hardware we use will have components or assembly processes that do take place all over the World, but we do in the main procure through the European interests of whatever we entity is successful in procurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

We also bought Vektor 60mm mortars and previously dealt with Denel for armoured car work. Why would we go all the way to SA, when every single one of those tasks could have been achieved in Europe? It's been a mixed bag, as a result. Mortar bombs falling apart in flight, the RG 32M is a hangar queen and the upgrade of the armoured cars was carried out and the cars were hardly back on line when they were scrapped. Apart from that, the standard helmet is from Israel and the heavy mortar is Swiss,as are two of our primary aircraft. Switzerland,politically and for it's own convenience is outside the EU, despite being in the centre of the landmass. As for going all the way to Colorado, that was a pork barrel job, to keep the work in the US. The mission kit is palletised so it could be fitted anywhere on earth. Fitting it is about as hard as changing a bulb. No task relating to the PC-12 could not have been carried in Switzerland or even in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Completely off topic, but the workmanship on the Panhard upgrade was woeful. Holes were chopped in the turret to fit monitors in, instead of sourcing monitors that would fit in the first place. What would happen in the event of the vehicle being fired upon at this weak spot was obvious to all. The "New" engine they stuck in was the standard Peugeot 2 litre Diesel that you would have found on a farmers 407 van, instead of something designed to pull the 4 tonne car it was, like a Ford transit engine. First trip overseas with it after upgrade and it was clear the engine was a dud. They couldn't keep up with the Mowags. While the upgrade changed the engine it didn't fix the useless brakes.

You lost all the internal coax ammo storage completely (that's why they added the external bins) and because of internal monitor location, mounting coax was only possible by someone with tiny hands, after aligning the gun at max elevation something that couldn't be done from the coax side) so suddenly you needed 3 people to load the car, instead of 2.. One outside, one in gunner seat, one in commander seat.

Oh, while the rangefinder and night optic had their own wipers now, the main sight still didn't. First shot I made the back pressure threw up all the mud of the glen on the hull front. Not very tactical having to climb out and wipe down the armoured sight window.

Because they were better than nothing, and nothing was the other option. Prior to that you had the car struggling with a petrol engine, but it was working with the M3 that had the same petrol engine. At that stage the LTAV were only being considered, and there was no plan to get Cav Mowags.

Consider also the first attempt to modernise the Panhard started in 1984(they tested a Fox Turret on an AML60), they finally decided on it in 2000!

But that is a million miles from Maritime patrol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Thanks lads!

Oh Jesus, I have a pathological aversion to being a launch customer for anything.

If you want reliable military hardware, buy anything that has at least ten years of proven service life in the mass market. Same principle applies to anything, whether its airframes, hull designs, battle rifles, utility belts or software.

I call it the SA-80 effect.

We aren't the launch customers, we're the Beta Testers.

• Advertisement

The Question is , is it free and do we get to keep it if it works

You give Leica your credit card details and after one free month, if you forget to unsubscribe, you get locked in to a 6 months LiDAR contract.

That's how they get you.

Very respected company Leica. Their equipment is top quality. Always has been.

Could this gear be the first proper Irish DF capacity for pinging submarines or can the current MPAs do that?

The current one's can't for certain. This is a first.

The current Casas must struggle to do MPA work these days i see one on its way back from poland landing in cork shortly

To be fair it’s no different than using them to take a load to Lebanon, I presume this is another neonatal flight? Wonder if this is yet another attempt by the AC to try and convince Finance about getting a dedicated transport of some sort.

I wouldn't have thought it's deliberate. The PC-12s simply don't suit certain sorts of air ambulance flight, where you have incubators or both a mother and child as individual patients who need to remain together.

Unquestionably though, it does add to the argument for a dedicated lifter, but it's not a new argument either, it must be at least 20 years in the making.

• Advertisement

Longer than that, the AC wanted one before 9/11 so add in years before that I’d bet as the idea gained weight inside the AC. I see it wasn’t a neonatal but was a child and their family.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0326/1288634-ukraine-airlift/

Advertisement