Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gian Propel Advanced Disc - Suitable for an old man?

• 06-12-2021 10:18pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the market for a new bike.

Had a look at the Giant today. Really like to look of it but was wondering is it too aggressive for some one who currently rides a Cannondale Synapse? I also have a Ribble R872 which has a bit of race fit.

On both bikes I’ve done many 100km plus cycles on both but would the Giant be too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I was speaking to a cyclist recently who went from a propel to a tcr. I asked why did he change. He said the propel was like riding a plank. They are an aero bike for the flats. Tcr would be a better all rounder particularly for our irish roads. Or if you want even more comfort and a relaxed geometry, the defy advanced is a great bike too. I have a 2020 model and use it as a gravel and road bike with 2 different wheelsets. I can easily sit on it for 4 hours even with an l5 prolapsed disc in my back and arthritis in my right hip at 41 years of age.

Im getting a tcr in the next few months as my cycle to work will be up but ill be keeping the defy. Giants are great bikes that last years. Lifetime warranty on the frames too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

+1 on the Defy

Looked at both the Defy and the TCR earlier this year. Borked back, hip full of metal and late 50s meant that the TCR was just that bit too aggressive for me but the Defy has been great and, slight saddle issues aside, has been good for spins over 200km and I'd have no concerns using it on a 300.

Can fit "proper" mudguards too (though special brackets required)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

Bike Insights is good for comparing bike geometries. It looks like the Propel is a fair bit longer and lower than your Synapse.

https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=5e86f6285eddec001781470f,5e85f5f6240d7f0017d192e2,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have a cannondale synapse with full di2 which is a better spec for the defy in the price bracket I am looking at. Similar bikes. May just upgrade the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

None of us cool guys with steel bikes and beards have spoken to him since

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

After doing a lot of research into "comfort" bikes I splurged out on an S-works Roubaix last year. It was a great bike, a massive improvement on my old aggressive "race" bike. But it was too good to use in winter so I got a very nice Genesis carbon CX bike and put 38c tyres on it. Result was when I went back to the Roubaix in Spring it felt harsh and uncomfortable by comparision. So I sold the Roubaix and promoted the Genesis to being my good bike.

I'm not sure what the moral of my story is but if all-out speed isn't important to you go for comfort instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

From working in a bike shop this is one of the big issues we see for newer cyclists & often leads to them leaving the sport. Guys in particular buy bikes that are not suitable to their physique, flexibility and riding style. A bike suitable for Julian Alaphilippe and others employed in his profession is not suitable for the vast vast majority of cyclists and detracts from their riding enjoyment. Think of it as an incredibly attractive person who would look great on your arm, but they are an absolute nightmare to be with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I went from a Synapse to a TCR and you do notice the difference in geometry. Synapse is now my winter bike but I still enjoy the comfort of riding it. If I was upgrading again, I'd consider something like a higher spec Roubaix or Defy as the good bike, and if you told me I had to sell one tomorrow, I'd probably keep the Synapse although the TCR is higher spec (Ultegra Di2 vs 105). The only issue with these types of bikes now (particularly with disk brakes) is to watch the weight - they can easily be close to 10kg with stock wheels even for a 2-3k bike. If you are not racing then I would say an aero bike is overkill

The defy is super comfortable as it has d fuse technology in the handlebars and seat post. It glides over rough roads and can take up the e 35/38c tyres. Quick enough when it needs to be too. I think its a great all rounder. I heard the tcr can be a bit more harsh but is it comfortable and ok for irish roads? Im going to get the rim break version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have a TCR, and wouldn't have it that aggressive tbh compared to propel or other race bikes - I always considered it more an all rounder tbh than an out and out race bike. I have an 2016 al defy, and I can match the fit with the TCR if I wanted by just flipping the stem (and I have done in the past).

fwiw I don't find the TCR particularly harsh, but I'm comparing to aluminum frames rather than other carbon frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

I thought TCR was a very stiff bike? Maybe less stiff than Propel but still stiff. While the Propel does look great and for a relatively low price can get fully integrated cables (cant on TCR) it would be very aggressive and stiff etc. I think the Trek Domanes look great and have a comfort seat tube thing and think they have hidden cables and reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

TCR "Pro" is a stiffer frame than the TCR "Advanced" iirc. I've an advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

interesting thread. when you say old man, you mean...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Some one who isn't a young man!

I'm not in my 20s any more (its been a while) just feeling older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

You guys read into 'relaxed' and 'aggressive' bikes way too much. Sitting on a couch is comfortable, riding a bike for a few hours is going to put your body under pressure

Aero bikes can be made more comfortable by adjusting a number of things

The more you ride your bike the more comfortable it will be

If I had to chose between the pro + advanced versions I'd pick the shinier one 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

I'm hoping to upgrade early in the new year and I was talking to my LBS about a Defy. LBS was saying I could go for a TCR that there's not that much between both models.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Liking the tcr advanced pro disc 2. Probably outside budget though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Would be a bit of a difference between them. TCR would be little lower on the front and little longer. Nothing you couldn't match with spacers and longer stem though. Defy set up more for endurance, D shaped seat post and handlebars, also has integrated mudguard mounts. Probably a more comfortable bike.

Will come down to what you want to use the bike for really. An all year round bike, defy maybe better option, for racing/going fast probably the TCR.

• Advertisement

The reason why i was interested in the propel was going faster (not racing) as there isnt much in the way of climbing around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

I have a Propel, not a racer by any means and about to hit the 40 mark in the New Year and not as supple as I once was. It took a bit of tweaking to get the set up right but have had no issues so far. Going for a bike fit in the New Year to iron out the last few niggles.

Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

OP: I've sold several TCR ADV Disc 1s, 2s and 3s to gentlemen in their 50s, 60s and 70s this year.

Some of these older guys rode amateur against Kelly!

All, and I mean literally all, have come back to say how much they are enjoying the bike and all have commented on how it's probably the best bike they've ever had.

I'm the main mechanic in our shop, not a salesman; the bikes sell themselves.

Age is just a number; buy the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

I've a new tcr disc with the slr2 wheels and the gavia course 25mm tires and I find it really comfortable, on the road feels like I'm riding 28mm tires and in comparison to my other bikes which are mostly on 25mm it's def the most comfortable bike of the lot.

I hope that makes some sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

Bought a Propel (2nd hand) last year. Was riding a Genesis Volare 853, which (despite being steel) was a stiff, and pretty aggressive bike. Found the Propel to have pretty much the same feel on the road. in terms of road buzz etc. (North WW roads). The version I have can't take anything above a 25mm tyre, so I do not have the option of softening the ride.

Why (at my advanced age) did I buy it? Always liked the look of the Propel, it looks fast. When I use it I feel it makes me faster - which may or may not be the case...

Changing cables on it is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

TCR's are great.

If you are worried about comfort ( or road vibration) the long seat post with the compact frame takes the buzz out compared to other non compact frames.

I love the responsive feel you get from the short chain stays also.

All this stuff about low front ends etc. I don't get it. If you have bike fit parameters these can be applied to any frame, even a gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

TCR all the way IMO. The Propel was a solution to a problem that didn't exist - and the looks are very marmite indeed.

TCR a proven racing frame suitable for a wide variety of body shapes and sizes with legions of fans all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Agree Mojo

• Advertisement

I thought the pro and advanced on both the tcr and defy had the same frames? Its the wheels and steerer tubes that are different. The sl tcr frame is the one thats stiffer. There is no sl defy on the recent models.

Advertisement