Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stay safe in the storm

Options
  • 06-12-2021 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Stay safe everyone and hope no fatalities or much damage done.

extra silage in this evening so not planning to go near sheds tomorrow at all.

Comments

Have to go feeding a few ewes tomorrow some time, but I loaded up the van with hay so like yourself I won't be near sheds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

On the safer side of the country but took the option of not arranging testing for tomorrow. I've had enough of testing in bad weather to do it when I don't need to.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Don’t make unnecessary journeys.

Don’t take risks on treacherous roads.

Don’t swim in the sea.

Anyone for a chape generator? Delivery Wednesday if you pay now... there’s not many left.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

All joking aside........ I forgot to get a packet of smokes on way home.........down to last 5......some serious rationing going on here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cattle feeders all topped up today. Good for a few days so they are on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Cattle fed, check. Anything loose tied down or in shed, check.

24 cans of Guinness for €20s in the fridge, check.

Stay safe everyone.

2 x chainsaws fueled, primed & ready to go.

Fresh batteries in 2torches.

Phone charged 100%.

Plenty of fuel/coal inside for stove.

Generator fueled up& primed.

Let's hope for the best......but thus lady ( barra) ain't drawing on for the 'slow set' she's coming for a 'rave'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tis fcuking bad already down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The start of west Cork. Id imagine its worse proper west

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's rough in Roscommon as well

If a storm hits its the final straw for this place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wind picking up here in louth and raining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Not a puff of wind in Galway yet. I think this is all a conspiracy theory 😅

eye of storm is 115 nautical miles off galway it just said on the news.

and just as I finish typing this I can hear the wind picking up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

feeding for few days in with cattle

Have battery out of spare tractor charged up and a 350w inverter on standby.

it will charge phones, run laptop, lamps etc if needed.

workers told to find something inside to do or swap a day for the future

weve had snow flurries for last hour or so but heavy rain now, not blustery but nothing really. 600ft above sea level so we always expect a battering, we are usually sheltered from the southerly aspect but when it swings round to the north we will take a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭straight

Very gusty here now. Better get the cows milked before the power goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have you no generator straight? Our power is about as reliable as in a 3rd world dictatorship so I couldn’t do without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Be slow to go out with the chainsaw till conditions are favourable.

We often take too many risks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

By the look of things it's not the severity of the wind that's the issue today its the length of time it's going to be at it.looks like 10 or 12 hours of it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nothing too bad here in the Midlands yet. Good drop of rain already and wind is blustry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Went to work left at six nothing to frighten ya yet getting blustery now last hour. Fingers crossed it won’t get much worse for everyone.

My power is very reliable in general. I Put in a generator last year just in case and I have used it once. I thought it was great until my neighbours told me power was only off a few mins. Great to have it for the odd time I may need it.

Ya, I often think of that poor man that got killed in the clean up a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Been looking at power outages during the morning and they are steadily growing in numbers, and it’s early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 matt.v

Someone please join me in a few prayers there that the sheds will still have their roofs in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Never seen the Barometer hanging in our hall, go so low. Dropped well below stormy. I was awake most of the night with the sound of wind. Water pressure dropping in the taps. Must fill a few barrels in the yard. We're near enough to Limerick City so a bit of the bite gone out of it when it gets to us. Kerry seems to be getting some battering.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Have a lot of jobs to do on the sheds here, I was never as busy with work n the oul lads laid up and got nothing done. I'm on tender hooks here.

The last couple of storms were non events where I am but this is the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

North Cork was a bit windy earlier only a breeze now.

Advertisement