Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Barra: December 7/8th 2021 **Technical Discussion Only**

• 06-12-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭

Since the other thread is currently burying a lot of the graphs posted, I decided to make a technical thread for this storm.

Current weather warnings:

Status Red - Wind warning for Cork, Kerry

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Storm Barra: Southwesterly winds later veering northwesterly will reach mean speeds in excess of 80 km/h with severe or damaging gusts in excess of 130km/h. Due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.
    • Valid: 06:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021 to 21:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021
    • Issued: 13:47 Monday 06/12/2021

Status Red - Wind warning for Clare

• Storm Barra: Northwesterly winds will reach mean speeds in excess of 80 km/h with severe or damaging gusts in excess of 130km/h. Due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.
    • Valid: 16:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021 to 01:00 Wednesday 08/12/2021
    • Issued: 16:21 Monday 06/12/2021

Status Orange - Wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Mayo, Wexford

• Storm Barra: Southeasterly winds, later veering northwesterly will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with severe or damaging gusts of 100 to 130 km/h, with localised stronger winds likely, with severe gusts on coasts. Due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.
    • Valid: 06:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021 to 06:00 Wednesday 08/12/2021

Status Orange - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Wicklow, East Meath

• Storm Barra: Southeasterly winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with severe or damaging gusts of 100 to 130 km/h, with localised stronger winds likely. Due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.
    • Valid: 08:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021 to 13:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021

Status Yellow - Wind and rain warning for Ireland

• Storm Barra will bring widespread mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h and gusts of 90 to 110 km/h with localised stronger winds likely. Heavy rain will also bring risks of surface flooding and, due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.
    • Valid: 02:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021 to 18:00 Wednesday 08/12/2021

No chat in this thread please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Vanilla doing odd things, duplicated my post then removed it as I tried to delete.

ECM 12Z showing the centre over Galway at 1400Z - 959mb.

Assume the snow depth chart can be consigned to the heap? Temps simply don't appear to support a blizzard (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

That was going to be my exact question........looks like uppers won't even reach - 4 until Wednesday and then it's over the southern half of the country and not the northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gizit

Has anyone got a link for a pressure chart in the North Atlantic? I've looked on Meteociel and can't find one that covers the area of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

HIRLAM, ICON and ARPEGE all showing very high tail-end winds for Mayo, Sligo and Donegal into Wednesday. Surely they will need upgrading to Orange at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was surprised met Eireann ended the red alert for Clare at 1am, some of the strongest winds on some of the models were after 1am Wednesday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

18Z analysis and latest water vapour image, showing nice dryslot to the rear of the cold front.

These are the 6-hourly pressures up to 18Z. A decent fall of 18 hPa in the last 6 hours. At 50N, the figure for rapid (or "bomb") cyclogenesis (1 Bergeron) is 21.2 hPa/24 hours.

• Time | hPa
    • 00Z | 1019
    • 06Z | 1016
    • 12Z | 1009
    • 18Z | 992

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest ECM, GFS and ARPEGE and GEM all quite close in track and timing, UKMO a bit lower and ICON lower again, ICON similar run to the 15Z but would side with the other bunch tracking in over or close to Galway at this stage. A good waypoint tomorrow to check who did well !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Re the ICON chart above, checking closer and it would seem that it arrives slower than the rest and in turns delays the strongest second wave of winds and continues strong winds well into Weds , UKMO also showing a large swathe of strong winds over the country on Weds, ECM keeping the strongest winds on Weds to around Mayo and Sligo. Warnings could keep going well into Weds especially on the coasts , will slow the electricity repairs especially in coastal counties that were effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

A good push onto the east coast tomorrow morning

ARPEGE might be a good average across the models at this stage, certainly some stronger but not a bad representation of what to expect atm . No doubt there could be a few surprises along the way as in some places getting unexpectedly higher winds. The combined effect of the squally rain will be notable Id say. Not expecting power to last long into tomorrow evening here in Kerry, if I get to 18.00 or 19.00 I will be doing well I'd say.

Quite a few sferics showing up today would expect the same again tomorrow around the coastal areas especially.

• Advertisement

On its way!!

GFS rolling out and it looks nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Any rainfall charts for tomorrow? Or is the main threat of flooding from coastal flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Howdy all...waves excitedly from behind screen! the storm brings some of us old weather forum fans back to their roots again!

I just wanted to mention one of my favourite storm watching websites for these kinda of occasions. Eart Not affliated with it in anyway....but its really interesting to see the shape that this storm is developing out there.... I'm not sure how accurate etc... the info on it is, but some may enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

If possible, could the experts please leave a link for their images. I will love to learn more.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Lightning strikes in storm barra

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Sorry Pad

may i ask you, what do they mean when they say - 1 of 3 next 96hrs??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Sat View just under an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Will be interesting to see where it ends up - technically I always find these storms are always slightly earlier and slightly further north than any of the model runs.

ARPEGE 18Z is rolling out and I don't say this lightly but looking like an upgrade again, strong winds well into Weds, one hell of a long event, look at how tight those isobars are. Cant remember facing into a storm of this strength and duration to be honest. I think we are going to see a lot of power outages and damage from this one especially in the Red warning counties and Kerry looks like it is going to be battered altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Are we likely to see more areas upgraded to orange or red do you think?

Galway looking like a very high Orange later Tuesday, wouldn't take much to push it into Red I think.

Sligo Could go Orange for a time early Weds.

Looks very windy in central counties as well during the early hours of Weds morning, would need to keep an eye on this to see if the models show this to increase, high Yellow at least for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Joanna was on Claire Byrne and said that given current guideance they didn't foresee a change in the warning levels, but that coincided with Meteorite's post with the ARPEGE output so it might change yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm TAF's

Cork Max gusts :65knots

Shannon :65 knots

Dublin 55 Knots

Knock 45 knots (Down to just 10 knots as the low passes directly over in the afternoon)

I have a barometer mounted on gable end of shed....shes been dropping like at stone since daybreak.....32hpa drop in 17hrs....... this lady is going to be frisky as hell for Cork & Kerry from early hours onwards. You're right re power outages.....I set up a new generator system earlier on in the year.....enough power for fridge freezer,1 kettle & charging phone......was hoping she'd never get tested but I reckon she'll be called into action over the next 24hrs. 2x chainsaws primed & ready to go, everything that 'could' possibly move has been stowed away, phone charged 100%, plenty of fuel for the stove brought in. The 2doggies are holed up in front of stove. I'm NORTH Cork btw....... keep safe everyone....i ain't looking forward to the next 24/36 hrs....lets hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Davaeo21

Poor Sherkin Island might be blown away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

We can finally see a low-level circulation winding up in the last few frames.

Outer band of rain approaching now.

Can see the Jet powering the storm along

Hurricane Force 12 mentioned on the sea area forecast in western seas

• Advertisement

Nere a doubt about that.......hoefully there's no boats out West/ they're all in alongside the quay

Advertisement