Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brake Pad fell off car

• 05-12-2021 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I had work done by the local Skoda garage on my 161 Octavia back in June. The work they did then included a replacement cylinder on the clutch, the timing belt and…

Brakes/Clutch/Transmission OP - 137.34 €

Warning Lamps - 68.10 €

The car hasn’t been doing much driving with me working from home but on Saturday I went out and reversed it on my drive to move it. The front drivers side tyre was acting as if something was rubbing it. I pulled forward and then then reversed again but noticed when I braked coming forward the brakes weren’t great. I got out and found the brake pad sitting on the ground.

I haven’t driven the car and am going to get it towed tomorrow but should I be going back to that garage or getting a second opinion? I wouldn’t have thought a brake pad should just fall out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Damien360

Work done in June. It’s now December and you link the two events ? The garage wouldn’t even give you the time of day on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

107650 on it now, there was 105405 when it was in the garage. They did state the front pads were 70% worn and they recommended replacement when next replacing pads.

See comments above. Car has done just over 2000 kilometres since. Some people drive that in a week.

They are the only garage have ever worked on the car and I wouldn’t have thought a brake pad should just be falling out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Luckily for the OP that's not how consumer law sees it.

OP contact the garage and let them resolve it.

I’m wondering though should I get a second opinion in advance of that, are they just going to cover their own error if the car goes back to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Remind me why this is the garages fault?

I didn’t say it was. I am asking for opinions as I know very little about cars. Bottom line is I don’t think a brake pad should be falling off the car. Is it normal for that to happen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what work did they do in relation to the 'Brakes/Clutch/Transmission OP - 137.34 €' charge?

i.e. did they actually go near the brake assembly in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Brake pads should never fall off. What it looks like is the wear material has come away from the backing plate. Shouldn't happen either a faulty pad maybe the car was sitting for a while after being driven in the wet and the disks rusted onto the pad.

Would be very unusual for a pad to fall out, it would need to be wafer thin. In fairness, the pad in the photo is bolloxed looking so it makes sense. I certainly would be getting the car towed to where ever will be repairing.

As far as I can see, the car is 5 years of age, 105k kms covered and the brakes were estimated as being low and you were advised of same, 6 months later, the pad fell out.

Fair enough they said 30% remaining and it's done 2k kms, but you could be dealing with something else like a stuck caliper and one pad has worn considerably more than the others.

If you've had good dealings with the garage so far, i couldn't think of a reason not to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Brake-pad falling off is not good, especially on a 5 year old car, but if you've left a car outside in the elements for months on end without driving it, stuff is going to get seized, like the callipers, and trying to drive a car with a seized brake, will fail at the weakest point, which seems to have been the pad this time.

Consider yourself lucky it was a consumable like a brake pad, and not a disk or calliper than broke

If you've got an asset worth tens of thousands of Euros sitting on your driveway corroding by the the day, it might be a good idea to either sell it, or store it properly, or even give it to someone who can drive it every now and then to keep it operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Just so as you're on the right page - that isn't a brake pad,it's the friction material off a brake pad. Not a very common thing but it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

OP, you say the car hasn't moved much. Has it been left sitting for a few weeks without moving?

What you have in the photo is only part of the brake pad with what appears to be corrosion on it. The backing plate is missing and presumably still in the brake caliper. If I had to guess from your description in the OP, I'd say the brake pad was stuck to the brake disc with corrosion from lying up for a long period. When you moved it, instead of freeing itself, it broke.

A full Octavia pad including backing plate would look something like this.

Leaving a car lying up outside can lead to these sort of things, especially in winter. Try and drive it enough to get everything up to temperature a least once a week.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Looks like “Delamination”. The pad has come away from the backing plate. I’m not a mechanic but I wouldn’t blame the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Can't see how you'll be able to blame that on a garage, count yourself lucky it happened at 3mph and not 60mph. Get new pads fitted and be happy you dodged a bullet.

The car is being driven at least once or twice a week. It just isn’t going that far.

I had thought about selling it but then if my work situation changes or I change jobs, which is likely in the coming months, I may need a vehicle for commuting to Dublin a couple of times a week again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Could very well be the cause of it, pads could have stuck on the discs from corrosion or during frosty weather and pulled it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, now is a good time to sell a 161 Octavia as prices are good due to lack of supply, so that's an option. Though if you think you'll need it in a few months, you'll be on the other side of that lack of supply if you want to buy.

Back to the brakes, you might get away with just new pads, but I suspect the disc still has bits of pad stuck to it or might have been damaged by the exposed baking plate, so will need to be cleaned or replaced. As always with brakes, best practice to do both sides at the same time.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cpoh1

If that was a main dealer service and has always been serviced there and the pads are genuine OEM I would be going back to the garage and expecting a curtesy changeout.

This just should not be happening with OEM pads with 25% meat left on them and very little mileage since.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

They are possibly 5 year old pads on a car which was left sitting. The backing plate on a brake pad is metal. If moisture gets in between the backing plate and the lining, it will rust if the car is not being used. The same is true of discs.

That lining clearly detached because of corrosion.

Pads and discs can heat up to a couple of hundred degrees while in normal operating service. This prevents any corrosion usually as it drives out any moisture.

• Advertisement

I think you should ask them. Using it twice a week it shouldn't snap off like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did the main dealer change the pads? The dealer told them the pads were due for replacement soon but that is as far as their involvement with the brake pads seems to have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Did someone fit a cheap pad last time around?

No way should that happen on a car going through main dealer service.

If the pad looked anyway rusted or old, dealer would have been requesting it changed out. 6 months sitting shouldn't do that to a pad.

Car has only ever been serviced by a main dealer. I’ve decided to move to a new garage in the area. Had the car collected this evening and it’s being dropped to them in the morning.

We've a 93 car with pads possibly 20 years old that's driven around fields and then parked up for months, the pads in this haven't fallen out or froze.

Unless the OP lives beside the sea the bit of the pad that fell off didn't get that much corrosion in few months of low usage.

That still doesn't make it the dealers fault by any stretch?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FDave

Any pads with 25% left are pads that need to be changed, not ones that can go 20K km to the next service. Heat cycles degrade the friction material and the amount of useable pad would be a lot less anyway.

A car with a main dealer service history looses a bit of the brake a few months after it being worked on by the dealer with very little driving since and it's not the dealer fault!

The people in the trade are back to try and claim that the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act doesn't apply to them again I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Where does the poster say that the dealer did work on the brakes where the issue is?

All I can see is that the dealer said it was 70% worn and would need to be done at NEXT service.

Advertisement