Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Want to buy a car using monthly payments, but my credit history isn't great

• 06-12-2021 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a car on monthly payments, have never bought before. I was looking to use ~10% of my monthly income which would be €290 (can probably round up to €300, but would go down to €250 as well).

Problem is, my money management isn't great, are their checks about credit history first? I've been able to put away around €400/month before so based on that I should't think there'd be a problem. I've also made a few changes to my monthly payments recently, so they should be reflective in my balance soon. Coupled with a raise due in January, I'll be back in the green very soon.

I did partake in some investing over the past year, so I haven't been saving as much throughout the year so not a lot of savings recently tbh, assume this is the time line they'd be looking at.

Do dealerships assess your history before they enter a contract? I would assume they do. Pretty clueless about it all.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭cml387

If you are worried about your credit rating you can check on the Central Credit Register

Note that the ICB ( the body t hat used to operate the credit check process) ceased its operations in September and deleted all its records.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's no harm to try with a dealership as often they can get you a credit deal for a car even without a great record. I don't know about the CCR, but loan requests used to show up on the ICB records so it wasn't a good look if you were refused a loan through that. But your follow-through option should be to regularly save in the Credit union and you'll have the best chance then to get a loan.

Advertisement