Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips on creating a Werewolf game (speedy)

• 05-12-2021 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I’ve volunteered to host a werewolf game for a virtual work Christmas party because I am an idiot.

The suggestion grew legs, except now, it will be six people and 30 minutes max. But, it’s not until next Wednesday, so that’s something.

Would anybody have any suggestions how to make this work? I think I would assign the characters in advance (something Christmassy with a grinch, a Santa, and two elves, one angel, and one weird anti-elf (whatever the grinch has for his little buddies).

But there will be flip all time in 30 mins, so maybe I would ask for a two facts and a lie from each character. Or something less lame.

As you can see, I’m kinda struggling here. But, it is the season. ;)

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

With six people you're not going to have too many turns to figure out the wolf/baddie so remember your cycles, I would definitely start on a lynch as you're going to want to try and get people talking. With 30 mins to run it that should be fine, time your phases to fit with the timeframe

6 people with one baddy will mean 2 lynches, so you can probably let the phase run for a bit to let people get the hang of things. Would they have played the game before? If not simple is prob best. You can call your NRVs elves, your wolf the Grinch and your roled player (seer/Vig/whatever you like) Santa maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

With 6 people, i'd probably keep it to grinch and elves, and get a few short games in, instead of just one game.

6 playing cards would be useful, a Jack as the grinch, and 2's and 3's as the elves. make sure everyone knows that the jack is the grinch and hand them out.

if the grinch survives the first lynch, say its night time, everybody close your eyes, and grinch, open your eyes, and have them point to who they want to kill, then grinch, close your eyes, everybody wake up, player, you are dead, and game on. 3- 5 minutes rounds may be enough, and you can get a night (grinch kill) done in 10-20 seconds. you could get two or 3 games in, in your 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Thank you Necro and Neo! That is very helpful!!

We are now up to seven people. Most of them have not played before, so this would be a nice and quick way to get into it. I like the idea of Santa as a seer (he sees when you are sleeping don'tcha know!). I'm putting together the game now. Never hosted one before, but it should be fun! If anybody is interested (and if it works) I can post up the logistics in case anybody is is stuck for a virtual Christmas party! I think I will run this on Teams with a specific channel for the game, and one for the voting. I believe I can make a poll on Teams, but I will need to count quickly and reset it, or something like that throughout the phases. I will have to play around with it a bit and figure out the best way.

Kudos to you guys who have ran Werewolf. Even for a small game, it can be a bit of work!

Hmmm. Am I going way OTT? Could this work do you guys think? I will autopriest, and would have to be pretty well prepared, but

Roles

Santa - He knows if you’ve been bad or good (seer)

Rudolph – It’s not just his nose which is packing heat (has a gun, which can be used at any time during the game)

Wizard Elf – Protector of elves, or whoever.. (bodyguard)

Elf – Non rolled villager

Elf – Non rolled villager

Bad

The Grinch – Serial Killer/Christmas-hater (SK)

Bad Santa - He sees you when you’re sleeping (Wolf with a peek)

This is a quickfire game, and we will move through phases.

Phase 1 - Morning – 18:30 to 18:37 – Lynch

Phase 2 – Night – 18:40 to 18:43 – Serial Killer shot + seers’ peek

Phase 3 – Morning – 18.45 to 18.50 – Lynch + protect

Phase 4 – Night – 18.52 – 18.55 - Munch

Phase 5 – Morning – 18.57 – 19.00 - Lynch

I've given Rudolph a gun, as he kind of seems the type.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It might be, if your evil characters are on the same team they would only need two lynches to win. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, just means you could have two run throughs.

Neo I don't think the cards will work as it's a virtual meet not a physical so YellowFeather will prob be texting the players their roles...

• Advertisement

Hi guys

Thanks so much for your help! It all went well. We ended up with 6 players again, as one had just gotten his booster shot and wasn't feeling very werewolfy, so we switched it to 1 elf, rather than two.

The Grinch shot bad Santa :D, but still managed to gain parity with the villagers at the end. Go Wolves!

We got a bit delayed with the game, so, rather than stick with times, I just set a stopwatch for each phase and made it a bit of a free for all with powers. Phase 4 (munch) was useless what with poor auld Bad Santa getting the bullet, Rudolf had been lynched already, and all seer peeks were already used, so we went straight to the final lynch (at this stage we were two villagers and the Grinch).

I decided that, rather than do it via written messages, we just play it with all of our cameras on and talking about who was suspicious. To be honest, Rudolf got lynched just because of his Teams background!

I used Microsoft Forms for the lynch votes (just be aware that you cannot embed Microsoft Forms in a private Teams forum, so I just added the links in the main thread), and anybody with a power could just message me privately on Teams to use it.

When somebody was killed, I just said they can stay on in the game, but no voting or real contribution to the game.

It was all a bit ad hoc, but it was hilarious. If anybody wanted the game setup for a similar event, just PM me - there is even a poem!

Advertisement