Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone X 5g

Options
  • 15-11-2021 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I see Vodafone are offering a new pay as you go plan. It gives unlimited 5g at max speed and unlimited weekend calls. I wonder if one could use it in modem without any issues? I quickly scanned t and c and don't see any major issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The maximum speed is set at 10Mbps on that tariff, so kind of defeats the purpose of having 5g!

EDIT: Apologies, didn't realise there were 2 Vodafone X tariffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Interesting.

I wonder if I moved to that from my current Vodafone X that is capped at 10 mbps, would I get higher 4G speeds on my non-5G capable phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nice price for it, they were charging far more previously, circa €40 a month initially.

What I don't understand is why you would want 5G on a mobile phone? 4G on full signal will give me full hd on the 6 inch or so screen for all that's good with. Vodafone don't allow tethering so what is the point of 5G on their plans, can someone explain it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No WiFi calling offered payg Vodafone plans, not sure what this plan has over gomo apart from being more expensive?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

At these prices, I don't know why anyone would choose vodafone PAYG. If you want VF reception, go with postmobile. Otherwise there's gomo/48/virgin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KildareP

100%. When you look at their SIM only plans, they look even poorer value again!

The coverage argument doesn't hold as much as it might have done several years ago either.

Both Eir and Three have really come a long way with their networks in the last 18-24 months. Equally, there are plenty of areas I've come across that have had little to no Vodafone coverage but full coverage from either Eir or Three (or both). Vodafone's network across much of Kildare in particular is extremely patchy in places compared to the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

In my case, VF coverage is required due to locations but postmobile gives far more: 50Gb data and unlimited calls and texts for 15 a calendar month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eopr

Tried this new 5G SIM in a 4G router. I expected to get decent 4G speeds, but the max I have been getting is 12-15 megabits per second

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I tried it in a dual sim iphone yesterday in Claremorris.

90 Mbps on 4G (48 sim)

11 Mbps on Vodafone X (5G) ( 5 bar signal)

😯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

I got 5G speeds in excess of 500MB per second near Dublin Airport during the week. Not bad.

Advertisement