Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭brickster69

Certainty that, so predictable, all the calls will have been made and orders handed out. Expect the media to turn against the great unwashed in lots of places this week. Even Stevie Wonder could see this coming.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Trying to normalise this crap eh?l

unbelievable the road people are going down.

You make some interesting points. The crux of your argument is that I'm "nuzzling at the teat of the public sector".

I'm not sure you are aware that all community pharmacies in Ireland are private enterprises. There are not run by the HSE. So it's the market dictating the rates. Unfortunately, boots et al. are all private enterprises. I would be very much in favour of higher taxes if we nationalised all medical services.

I don't believe I was sneering in my post but I guess that's your point of view so fair enough.

I've known hard times, I self funded myself through my pharmacy degree. Worked 30 hours a week in a phone shop during college year. Then during summers, I worked full time as an assistant landscaper. It was tough work and things were dicey at times (remembering days I would have to call around to friend's houses to get dinner as couldn't afford it myself) but I got through it.

The locum wages per hour have nothing really to do with covid. It's due to a lack of qualified pharmacists in Ireland at the moment so unsure how useful that I think vaccines are is in any way related to

I noticed you edited out the more obvious personal attack on your post. Classy as always.

Never really had much trouble with the ladies if I'm honest. I did study chemistry in school so I guess there was at least one thing right in your emotive post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The headline was that a booster protects against any future variant - LOL yeah right. The study quoted in the article says no such thing - because of course it cant. How can you state definitively that it protects against variants that dont yet exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Embarrassing is the only word I can think of the describe that ‘article’.

Mandatory vaccines have been with us ‘for centuries’ 😁 Penicillin wasn’t even around a hundred years ago, yes I know penicillin is not a vaccine but my point is medical science was primitive at the time of WW1. Look up ‘gas gangrene’.

Rates vary but Sunday locum that was organised late on Saturday evening was 120/hr, bit of negotiation to be fair needed to arrive at the figure. Planned locum jobs vary from 50-100 (depending on what area of the country, day of the week, randomly the best locum rates tend to be in Wexford, I've no idea why), emergency 90-130.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I edited my post to add to it. I did not take anything out.

Strange then, that you have to gloat at every chance you get. The frustration from the school days must still be with you.

I don't earn as much as you, but I earn a lot more than many people, shop assistants, hca, drivers etc.

But I don't gloat about it. Boards posters generally earn more money than average, yet you are about the only poster that has to repeat what you earn, how secure you are. Even in threads where people are tearing their hair out - discussing job losses, pay cuts, etc.

Ooh, it's "the ladies" is it. How posh and dignified you sound.

Pretty much proving my point. While most people would be relaxing on a Saturday night off work, you spend the night to work more, to earn more money.

Gives you another chance to come to Boards and boast I suppose. Which you did not miss.

• Advertisement

Is this imaginary world that some of you inhabit one where there is no requirement for some essential services at the weekend, and no requirement for short notice cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

Pharmacists urged not to take part in mass vaccinations in dispute over €70 hourly fee

The fees agreed between the IPU and the HSE are about three times higher than the rate on offer in the recruitment drive. Picture: Larry Cummins

SAT, 27 FEB, 2021 - 07:00

MICK CLIFFORD

Pharmacists have been advised by their representative body not to take part in the HSE’s vaccination programme in a row over fees.

The row centres on the different rates of pay that the Irish Pharmaceutical Union (IPU) has agreed with the HSE and the salaries that are being offered for the same job in a recruitment drive. 

The fees agreed between the IPU and the HSE are about three times higher than the rate on offer in the recruitment drive.

A ministerial regulation signed earlier this year makes provision for pharmacists to be paid €70 per hour for working as vaccinators in the mass vaccination

In no way related to pharmacists doing vaccinations directly and associated levels of renumeration.

Of course you are right. I should have said no and potentially people would not have been able to access medication, emergency hormonal contraception etc. You know best, salononfire!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We don't have mandatory vaccination here in Ireland and we have reached almost 94% (of those eligible) I think that's a good argument for it being voluntary

Interesting side note, my local bar is about 65%-70% outdoors, a lovely beer garden, even in the depths of the coldest January, so with the latest restrictions it's operating to almost 85% capacity, fully outdoors plus half of the indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My sister is a pharmacist.Locuming is good money.Handy for someone who is trying to save money for a house.She works in a small private business, and locums in small private businesses and really it is nobody's business but her own.Downside is she is not really on a payscale in her day job, it's just fixed at a salary with no potential payrises, and that's it, and she has no pension unless she goes and sorts out a private one.Also for annual leave, she has to arrange locum cover ..... volunteers like The Dazzler😁

Why is that such a big deal to people?I'm an engineer, I could make money by doing planning applications, surveys and drawings on the side, if I was that way inclined.A lot of work is needed to get those qualifications and that is the benefit of that work.I wouldn't begrudge most people for doing well out of a few hard years of study, that's the whole point of those years.Finance and the medical industry are generally where the big money is, rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

Took issue with the notion that pharmacy locum payscales aren't related to HSE level of spending. Pharmacies rely heavily on HSE for their income and are a strong vested interest group in the sector. They're directly related. Don't have an issue with the work, just don't mis-represent who's paying for it.

As an engineer you could, provided you don't use your current employers softwares, meet any contract stipulations that work is-pre agreed, and get the required levels of insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thread getting a little derailed, talk of Pensions, Bonds, Locum pharmacist salaries 😳

It's getting as surreal as this Government decision making processes.

Meanwhile, DOE Toned down their rethoric re the bully boy tactics & advice on children being excluded from school if they refuse to wear masks, don't expect to see or hear from Norma Fur Coat Foley until the new year.

Government under fire for trying to gag medical experts, whilst Leo described as being akin to a cabbage strainer , he leaks so much.

Heather incomprehensible Humphries to announce what exactly the supports to thousands of people about to loose their jobs means, who's eligible etc, 4, yes 4 days after they were announced.

Leo also now under fire from fellow cabinet ministers for describing decisions he actually supported as being "Peculiar "

Hospitality sector to Meet Katherine Martin and Leo yet AGAIN, this morning for some more Tea & Sympathy, I believe Marietta biscuits have run out, so plain digestives to be offered.

Another week of incompetence, Mixed messaging , ineptitude along with a storm forecast for the week ahead 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Make whatever money you like - however bragging about your income is very much a "nouveau riche" type of thing.

You wouldnt catch us old money types at that

• Advertisement

I didn't read his post as gloating. He stated a fact. You've now stated that you earn more than many people. Gloating? No. Neither was Dazzler.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

Might as well merge with the Covid 19 Part XXXV as its just a free for all on these threads lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Indeed , not at all sure how we've got here with some extraordinary nonsense 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

That's an absolutely disgusting comment regarding the cancer ward. Shaking my head, trivialising cancer. What the hell!

You obviously don't have the same concerns that job losses have on mental health and family cohesion. Your outrage does not extend to these health aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

While I agree with your comment as a single comment, if it wasn't for your absolutely disgusting comments of wanting to ban people from society based on their own medical choices it would hold more weight.

You come across as wanting to be some saintly holier than thou virtual signaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

The faux outrage from all sides is strong this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

This place has gone to the dogs tbh.

The anti vaxers have infiltrated the site in a big way. It's more akin to Facebook now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Quags

Always the Anti Vaxxer shout, its getting boring now

Advertisement