Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House near Traveller accommodation

• 05-12-2021 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

There is a provisional plan to build traveller accommodation near (few hundred meters) the house I'm planning to buy.

Would you consider this being a deal breaker?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭billyhead

Not so much a deal breaker but you would have 2nd thoughts in the back of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

If you're asking the question I think you know the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Absolutely not a deal breaker! The nerve to ask such a question.

But I would be looking for at least 90% off the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Difficult to answer this without being accused of racism and possibly engaging in illegal behavior under discrimination legislation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would you consider this being a deal breaker?

Absolutely. Aside from any thoughts I may have about my new neighbours potential behaviour, I'd be conscious that it would have a negative effect on property prices and would make it more difficult to resell the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Absolutely a deal breaker.

Im sure most of the culture are fine people in their own way, but the level of anti social behavior from that group is terrible. I lived in Tallaght until recently, and a huge amount of the issues i faced were from the halting site there. Its built a like a fortress and the teens and young adults are terrible.

Luckily, I personally didnt get much grief from them. Two attempted muggings in 10 years. However, I seen so many others getting terrible interactions with them for doing nothing other than standing at a luas stop. One woman i seen told a young lad to stop pissing in the luas machine ticket dispenser. She was set upon by his 3 friends pretty quickly. The dark skinned man bless his good nature who helped her, quickly regretted it as all his belongings were all stolen. I mention his color to highlight the abuse he then got was extremely racist.

Imagine if you buy this place, and something turns either sour with the group or the group decides they dont like you. The hell you would have to endure would be terrible.

Definitely avoid. There are only a few things that would be such a deal breaker as that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrbobo

I've had a few encounters with them alright but wasn't sure whether this was just me being unlucky or maybe more people share similar experience. Not judging, pure financial risk assessment. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Personal experience - run a mile and don’t stop. No house for any price is worth the hassle you will have in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

House I know for sale with travellers living next door

It's vacant and they've taken in half its front garden and wrecked the place more than once.no one dares say a word in case their place is targeted next.

It's been on the market years and even the estate agent knows he'll never sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I had settled traveller neighbours up in remote Donegal. The last six months I also had two Gardai assigned and on call to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Based on personal experience. Deal breaker 100%, The travelers that lived near me where actually nice enough people but when Thier business partners or relatives had issues with them there would be on street brawls , windows smashed and general chaos. Most of the times they settled thier issues without the use of petrol bombs but occasionally they where required. It was interesting to watch and all but I would have preferred to watch on TV and not through my front Window.

I don't know why the council and political class are trying to integrate two non compatible cultures together. Nobody in either really wants to be each other's neighborhood.

When I started this thread, I was concerned about minor nuisances, kids messing around, laundry drying on the fences...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Get out of it if you can... disaster waiting to happen.

In my wildest dreams I did not expect anything like that. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm sure Michael D and the other middle class traveller well wishers would snap it up straight away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread has already overrun it's course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement