Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car going wrong way on M11

• 05-12-2021 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Driving northbound this evening at 7.30 or so I was met by a car headed straight for me in the overtaking lane, had enough time to get out of the way but arrived on a very serious crash shortly after, car overturned and debris across both lanes just north of the Wexford/Wicklow border. 10 or so cars had stopped and people were assisting but Gardai hadn't reached the scene yet, further onnear Rathnew there was another serious crash with Gardai and ambulances on the scene. Phoned in about the driver to Gardai who said they were aware but haven't seen anything anywhere mentioning this.

I'm assuming the accidents were caused by the person going the wrong way. Their car didn't seem to be damaged, fairly sure it was a Mazda. Anyone else see or hear anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Haven't heard anything but still get shivers thinking of that awful accident earlier this year when a family were wiped out by a driver going the wrong way on the M6 near Ballinasloe. Such a lethal thing to do.

I was once on M7 near Portlaoise and had a guy come towards us on wrong side too. We rang 999 to alert Gardai but thankfully didn't hear of subsequent accidents.

It seems like this situation is more common than we'd realise. I'd almost avoid using overtaking lanes in sections of a motorway where it has a significant bend ahead and where your sight lines are less than a kilometer if you don't have sufficient time to pull in if some wacko is driving towards you that you'd only see last second!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sounds like they knew they were on the wrong side, joy ride I'd presume, or crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

It's the second time I've witnessed this too. Headed south on the M9 two years ago I look over the barrier and there's an old man headed the same direction as me. Called the Gardai and again they said they were aware and thankfully no accidents from that one.

But yeah, it's definitely spooked me, won't be overtaking again unless there's a good line of sight. Plenty of spots on the M11 where you wouldn't have a hope if you met someone head on.

Swerved a jeep coming down the M4 a few years ago. Called the gardai and no word of subsequent accidents

Every time i think of it i need to compose myself, car was full with kids in back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Patmk2

Garda said that he was diabetic and something was wrong with him…’

The official word from the Garda Press Office reads…

Gardaí have arrested a male, aged in his 80s, following an incident of dangerous driving on the M11 yesterday evening, Sunday 5th December 2021 at approximately 7.15pm.

I had to swerve to avoid him , he must have continued on the Motorway for a few miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

There’s been a few dreadful incidents similar to this, where medical circumstances were at play. So much destruction can be caused by somebody semi-conscious at the wheel.

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

That explains that then. I did notice that he wasn't going particularly fast.

Absolutely shouldnt be driving, obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The Age Action types will have you know that driving is an unqualified right, not a privilege. Any consideration of removing the ability to drive from the old, no mater how incapable or unsafe they are is a human rights abuse....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

It would be if he was the only human his ability or inability to drive was likely to affect. Once his driving impacts the human rights of anyone beyond himself it’s best he’s put off the road, for his own safety as well as the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The point is that many people of many age groups are suboptimal for a periods of time, after taking medication for instance, but are generally capable of driving. As cars has screens nowadays, perhaps a short MCQ on rules of the road before you start off.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

People should have to do a full driving test every ten years, and then every five years when they reach the age of 70. Regardless of age or health conditions, it's crazy that driving is treated as a human right - get lucky on the day of your test (or no test at all, if you were one of the lucky ones back in the '70s) and you're good to go for the next 50 or 60 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They lost an opportunity when the new licences came to at least give people a rules of the road test every 10 years.

However, it doesn't still address issues of temporary incapacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I followed a car down the N81 last week, no lights, driving across 2 lanes, completely unaware of where he was. He was going from inchicore to Ballinteer and was on the N81 past the square and heading for Brittas!. I was flashing him, and on the bad bend at jobstown, he mounted the centre concrete area, drove over a few signs (spring loaded), and I got in front of him and stopped him.

Got him to follow me to the garage at Deselby and spoke to him expecting Diabetic confusion. He appeared fine, but I called 999 for them to assist and review him. He was an old man and completely lost, didnt even know where his lights were on his car and was utterly disorientated. Said he doesn't normally drive at night.

I waited for the gardai and they never came. I pointed him back towards the M50 and prayed I would not be hearing a report on the radio about a crash. 😓

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

Is there anywhere in the world that regular retesting is done? Might be good to have a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had a guy come towards me a few years ago on the M7 at Limerick.

Called the guards and they were aware of him but weren't sure of his location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

When you are over 70 you have to get a gp to give a medical report on you. This report results in either a 3 year, 1 year or suspension of your license.

It's fairly detailed too.

But events such as yesterday means some people think that every elderly person should be off the road or have to take another test.

Funny, cos most accidents are from a far far younger cohort, but no demand for them to take tests every few years???

• Registered Users Posts: 30,019 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know somebody who met a woman on a exit ramp a few years driving the wrong way. She blew her horn, flashed her lights, etc. Old lady continued driving.

She rang 999 right away and as she exited the motorway.

Woman then went on to crash and kill somebody. She died a few months after words. There was a lot of comments about it at the time. I even think a thread on here. Saying she shouldn't have being driving, etc.

At the inquest. It was said old lady had dementia and was told to stop driving, She had access to two cars. Her family took two fob keys off one car and two fob keys off the one she was driving. However they missed the the third basic style key. There were reporters, etc at it at the time and there was no mention of it in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Driving isn't a right it's a privilege. Some UK drivers took their penalty notice law to the EU courts and lost.

Give your family doctor €60 to pass you fit, I've done the medical for HGV's and it's not that detailed. It should be done by independent doctors and you should have to do at least a theory test to renew at certain ages. Eye tests should be mandatory for every renewal, you've drivers getting their eye's tested in their late teens early 20s and then never again till they are 70.

There should be a sample of drivers having practical tests done on licence renewals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Knew someone in England. He's was in his 70s had hearing aid in both ears. Blind in one eye and partially in the other and still drove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not going the wrong direction but what I find mad is when any driver decides to break the law and drives down a bus lane he has to double up and bomb down at high speed

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Except I literally said that everyone should have to resit their test every 10 years. I'd actually reduce it to every three years for anyone who accumulates more than three penalty points. I'd also make the test a lot more challenging than it currently is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Currently, a personal visit to the NDLS place is required so giving everyone a simple eye test and a simple short rules of the road test by the checker asking applicant 'to read from the top the letters on the screen behind me' and 'could you answer these (randomly selected) 10 (or 5) multiple choice questions n the rules of the road'. Take about an extra few minutes.

At least the blind and the stupid would be off the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

people over 70 are usually good earners for their GPs, so in many cases a GP might not turn down a request like this from a good customer. i know several people who have gone GP shopping (for other reasons, but similar concepts)

and yes, more accidents involve younger people, certainly on absolute numbers. but there are far more people in their 40s out driving than people out in their 80s - so what's the relative risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How would the over 70's be good earners for their GP? They have medical cards so the GP will get a flat annual rate regardless of how often they visit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

whoops, i thought the medical card was means tested.

Unfortunately you can do it online if you have a verified my gov ID. Still it's possible to put the theory test questions into the online process, even if they Google the answers at least they can't play dumb anymore, and have a digital system to send eye tests from the opticians to the NDLS

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The eye test I envisage is simple - the clerk dealing with the applications asked the person to read the screen above his/her head. No cost, minimal delay - simples. I suppose online might have to submit a eye test from a GP or optician - but that would not be free, so why would anyone go that route.

Rules of the Road test would be an A4 page printed out, with say 10 questions. Applicant fills in answer which is then scanned and pass/fail. If fail, go for the full theory test before DL issued.

There are people driving with full licences that could not pass the eyesight test, and some who could not pass the theory test - and some that would fail both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭kirving

Having witnessed a head on collision on the M6 a few years ago caused by an elderly man, I would have no hesitation in crashing into someone if I thought I could walk away from it.

We really need to have one directional spike strips on off-ramps to stop cars early.

• Advertisement

If it's compulsory to have an eye test to renew your licence people will do it, you have the option to do it in an NDLS centre where you need to travel to or you can do it online but you need to pay for an eye test. The majority of people will be entitled to a free eye test with their PRSI contributions or medical cards, but even not driving is expensive and an eye test every decade will be a tiny additional cost.

They have touch screens to sign in the NDLS centre so the theory test can be done on that.

The EU and government have forced more and more safety features onto vehicles but are doing nothing to make sure that the person operating up to 3.5t can see!

Advertisement