Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long term rental

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That was BC. Car rental places have feck all stock now, they got caught with a lot of stock at the start of COVID travel restrictions, so there's no deals available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I've also done a quick search on leaseplan online and that doesn't look too bad at all. Does anyone have any dealings with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

They sold it. Used and new car supply is at an all time low, demand for rentals, whilst improved vs spring summer 2020, is still fairly shite, so downsizing the fleet was easy and made total sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Somebody on facebook telling porkies - noway, could never happen...

• Advertisement

In all fairness, even a search here has brought up a similar price.

Just looking on comparison sites. The cheapest seems to be €800 a month which is far too expensive. But would that be what I'd be looking at nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When was that price quoted?

International travel is now open and folks who haven't been home since before the pandemic started are now coming home to visit families for the holidays which means huge demand for rental cars. Car rental companies haven't large stock of rentals and cannot get their hands on stock as new cars are in short supply due to the chip shortage. It's a perfect storm where demand outstrips supply so prices reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

A friend of mine works for a leasing company. They sell their ex leases themselves usually. They have had to take all their vehicles off sale and re-lease them as they are having trouble getting new motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I remember reading that article at the time and laughing at how unrealistic it was.

• Advertisement

I got a mid size car for €57 with full insurance for 3 days back then, if I hadn't taken the insurance it would have been about €30, it could be done with planning and a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I did 28 day rentals for a period of time around 2015 and again in 2017 / 18. Spent anything from 250 up to 500 a month for a focus sized car. Was great value at the time and couldn't believe how cheap it was working out. Had to change every 28 days though but lived near the airport. So it was doable and shocked to see those prices now. Don't think it was practical long term but we were using it as a second car for around 6 months and didn't need during holiday peaks or whilst away etc.

Something else I am currently looking at is leaseplan, where you lease a car. The prices aren't all that bad but the down payment is a bit too much.

Are there any alternatives to leaseplan?

What are you looking to do? If you want cheap motoring buy a banger and drive it till it dies. If you want a nice car unfortunately there's a massive supply side issue for cars and everyone is struggling to get cars, there's no cheap way now to get a decent new car with good specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of them, but an ad for https://www.nifti.ie/ came up on FB and I thought of this thread. Seems to be a company leasing cars for 24/36/48 month contracts. From a quick look at their site, you have the option to make an initial payment to decrease monthly payments, or not (with higher monthlies).

From a cursory mess with their sliders, the cheapest car they have with no initial payment and over 24 months is a Kia Picanto at €305 per month. Cheaper per month if you go longer (€220 pm over 48 months) or if you stump up a deposit. Mileage limit of 10,000 km a year at that price, higher is more costly. You've no motor tax to worry about, but you do need your own insurance and servicing/maintenance is on you.

You obviously don't own the car at any point or at the end, and there's a 50% of the rest of your agreement cost if you break the lease early.

Edit: Prices seem to be "dynamic", because I went back there now (only a few minutes later), and the Picanto is €300 a month over 48 months (with no deposit) for me now, and €417 over 24 months. So who knows what prices you'll actually pay.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

Advertisement