Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Money to Nephews and Nieces

Options
  • 29-11-2021 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭

How much would you give in cash?

Post edited by Posy on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Need much more info - what age are they? how close are you to them? How much would you normally spend on a Christmas gift them and most important, how much can you afford to give them as the more there are the large the pot becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Their 11 and 6. I've 3 nephews. Usually I would buy them a book for about 15 euro each. I don't see them very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

€30 for 11yo and €20 for 6 yo. This is roughly the present value we go for those ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Georgia22

I still give 50 to each of mine and they are in their 20s. Being doing it at that for the longest time. They are now either doing Masters or working in decent jobs. When does the need to even give a gift to nieces and nephews stop because it becomes embarrassing - 50 to most of mine is small change. Two I never see from one end of the year to the other. The other 3 I might see once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Bluebell woods

Georgia 22

Do your adult nieces and nephews buy you a Christmas present?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I would just tell them you've decided they don't need your money.

My aunt gives to my kids instead of us. We're constantly telling her she shouldn't be doing it, no need. But she insists and gives them birthday money too. However we give her a pressie at Christmas and I visit and stay in touch and help in any way I can with shopping, appointments, whatever. My husband's nephews are now older and we stopped when they turned 18. The youngest will be 18 in Jan so this is his last one. Usually spend €20-€25 on each child but there's only 4 on my side and 1 on my husband's and we're all in touch regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

21 and done in my family. They can join the adult Kris Kindle then if they want.

We also stopped giving individual presents to them years ago as it was just gone beyond ridiculous. Everyone throws 50 into the pot and the niblings get one big present each that's from all their aunts and uncles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

20 euros in cash for each ranging in age from 8 to 16 - . Spent more on the toddler as needed an actual toy. thats it then between christmas, communions, birthdays etc they are doing fine for presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Pistachio19

I'd stop this year. Send a card with a Christmas themed scratch card to each of them, if even that. If I was their parent I'd have told you to stop at 21 at the latest. 50 might be small change to them, but 250 must be a lot to you so I'd be saving that for myself.

@billyhead for their ages 15 in cash is plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Advertisement