Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Failure to listen to parents of child patients.

Options
  • 05-12-2021 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭

Some frontline healthcare workers disregarded concerns that were expressed by his parents when he was in hospital when he was 16 years old. Regardless of the level of funding given to frontline healthcare or problems that exist in the health service, basic morality (i.e. doing the right thing) costs nothing. So why did those healthcare workers not listen to the patient's parents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What a tragic case, and so unnecessary too. I hope the family have some peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

An absolute thundering disgrace. That poor child what he must have suffered. It beggars belief that stupidity is going on in our hospitals in this day and age. Delighted to hear that Conor has regained the sight in one of his eyes and wish him all the best for his future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Some healthcare workers are arrogant without much ability to back it up. They assume that relatives of patients are stupid and uneducated and they sneer about "Dr Google". They make various assumptions, don't listen and often seem to disregard patient history (perhaps the HSE's patient record system is also at fault)

As a relative of a vulnerable patient, I have found foreign national NCHDs and nurses to be the worst for this. Could be cultural or related to poor training. Had a few experiences with NCHDs recently - poor communication, misdiagnosis, dismissive attitude. Also a potential misprescribing incident. That doctor's consultant was nearby, overheard what he was doing and advised changes to the prescription. Clearly raging but unable to attack his boss over his bruised ego, he decided to start (badly) mimicking and imitating my Irish midlands accent instead.

I have no doubt that this sort of nonsense is happening all the time in our "health service" and usually doesn't have grave consequences or result in a 25 million euro settlement. Usually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There's something terribly wrong in the hospital system. A very good friend of mine contracted meningitis years back. She presented to the hospital in a very ill condition. After showing the consultant the rashes on her skin, he said that maybe she was wearing her jeans too tight. She was discharged, and told to take paracetamol.

She had to be brought back to hospital later that night, very very ill, and nearly died. Her parents were told it was "touch and go". She did recover, but with lasting effects from the meningitis. A frightening thing to witness.

Always inform yourself, always speak up. Even though, in this awful case, the parents were informed and did speak up, very loudly, but to no avail. An awful case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This case is an absolute disgrace . He was known to have a shunt and the warning signs were screaming out that his shunt was malfunctioning . It was a real case of neglect and poor management . What a shame he want transferred to a centre of excellence immediately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭political analyst

Have you considered reporting the offending physician to the medical council?

Advertisement