Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I drink alcohol on intercity trains these days?

• 04-12-2021 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

If I'm travelling next weekend (group of 4 of us), am I allowed bring a couple of bottles of wine and consume onboard? In a suitably responsible way of course.

i.e. will anyone care, including train staff.

Thanks!

Comments

literally a 5 second google search

Computer says NO

Latest update - 11 October 2021

• Alcohol is prohibited on all services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Alcohol is banned on all services at the moment,if there's a CSO on the train they will tell you to put it away or possibly take it from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Thanks both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You may be responsible, but unfortunately there are a huge number of scumbags on the trains that make it a trip from hell especially on weekends, that has seen a full and stringent ban on alcohol on board.

We're too old to be bothered acting the eejit.

You can hop on any train in Europe and be trusted to behave yourself. Pity a small minority here penalises the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yep it's a pity but I'd happily go with the ban if it makes the difference between people being able to travel safely versus being harassed by drunken idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does anyone check to see if passengers have bottles/cans on boarding the train? I have never seen anyone official on board apart from the trolley staff, and occasionally a ticket checker at intermediate stops. So who checks or challenges anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,803 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a pity we have so many numerous numb-sculls in this country though ruining it for the rest of us as well as well as no sort of deterrent from the law.

get on a TGV, Eurostar, Renfe, you can bring on alcohol, purchase onboard , people do, ive done... a nice way to relax and wind down...

Regulations need to be tailored for the clientele and risk assessments carried out obviously prohibits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭thomas 123

No its up to the passengers to call a helpline, then the cops are at the next stop. Only in Ireland...

For the short flight ticket price you would expect at least a steward etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You can buy or drink your own on UK trains too and they have all the same social problems we have. They are generally way more open then we are about licencing law in regards to trains, parks, cafes, late drinking etc.

I bet if Irish trains had the huge passenger numbers the continental and UK trains have then EI wouldn't be long reopening the buffet cars to sell booze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I’ve seen lads using a brown bag, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just to clarify, alcohol is banned on all services at the moment due to covid,same reason there's no onboard catering.

In normal times alcohol is allowed and sold onboard with the exception of certain services such as Waterford and Galway on Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon.

Is it really just a covid thing ?

If so I stand corrected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So they ban the alcohol and let the scummy behaviour continue

They also let the drinking of alcohol continue most of the time from what I have seen. It's just officially banned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So the scammers drink away while decent people like the OP can't. Typical

Or the OP could just have a drink too.

Worst will happen is you will be told to stick it in a bin. I've seen plenty of nice normal not scobes drinking on the train

The op wants to follow the rules. It is just those that don't care about the rules that get to do what they want. The same guys were having their house parties while everyone else was in lockdown.

Everyone thinks that it's everyone else breaking the law.

My neighbours had parties, I just had a few illegal guests.

Everyone else illegally parks, I just pop into the shops for a second

I only go 5kph above the limit.

When I beg the barman to serve past legal closing time it's different

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is it really just a covid thing ?

If so I stand corrected.

Yes just Covid, in theory you cannot eat or drink anything on the train because face coverings are required. IE were the only place able to sell alcohol on Good Friday for many years once you had a train ticket...

Alcohol is sold on most services apart from certain weekend exceptions though due to a complete ban which isn't strictly enforced. Years ago you would often have it confiscated (i.e. if you want to stay on the train and have it returned at destination) on banned services but this doesn't happen anymore and you would need to be really bad to have guards remove you.

In the summer there was a group drinking on a train and someone tweeted Irish Rail who informed Control who informed the driver who got out to find the CSO to ask them to move carriages and continue drinking. How do I know, because they moved to my carriage and asked if I mind them drinking and said about the tweet. I then looked up the tweet and asked the CSO who confirmed. I had just assumed the driver running down the platform was to fix a door issue.

This is the level of "enforcement" applied within IE...

Now an area of confusion is your not allowed on DART/Commuter trains however aside from enforcement issues I am not sure if this is underpinned legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Actually, that seemed to be the prevailing mood. Plenty of booze being consumed on the train up and down although I didn't see any rowdiness. Must confess we joined in.

No sign of any staff caring one way or the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you're not acting like an a-hole annoying other people, a blind eye will be turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bob425

On a recent journey to Sligo , the checker was strict about it. No Drinking ! I suppose it really depends on the checkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I think you can only remove your mask to take medication, not any kind of other food or drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

We were drinking after the last Saturday Ireland match in the Aviva. It was September on the special train. nothing was said to us and we weren't the only ones but we weren't making much noise either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish Rail have renewed their liquor licence for the trains for the first time since the pandemic started - I'd see this as a sign that onboard service is to resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Economics101

The real problem with drinking on Trains is because of people bringing their own booze on board. IE should allow drinking of alcohol which has been bought on the train. Mind you, one of the few benefits of minimum unit pricing is likely to make bring ultra-cheap slabs onto trains less affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Minimum pricing does not effect the price of alcohol on the train as its so expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Economics101

Sorry I meant to say "brought onto the train" not "bought on the train".

Advertisement