Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HEO job offer Case Officer

Options
  • 04-12-2021 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi folks. My wife has been offered a HEO position as a case officer in a local Intreo office. She is currently an EO in a different Dept and no experience of this type of work. It's going to add an extra bit of a commute for her if she takes it (20 mins) . She doesn't have a boards account so I said I'd post and see what folks thoughts are on the type of work it involves so she has more info/encouragement! She rang her prospective AP yesterday but she is on sick leave until the new year so that's not an option. I am waiting on a HEO panel myself but unlikely to get it so this would be good for the family finances! I have said to her worst case scenario she can always revert back to where she was within her probation year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

The job entails managing a caseload of jobseekers and trying to assist them in upskilling and finding a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

EO to HEO after tax isn't good for family finances, especially with the extra travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It is if you are early on on the EO scale.

33k/34k up to 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer with the 20 mins. It's only 10 mins extra each way basically for her, distance almost the same just slower with traffic going to new potential office (if she takes it) . We have it ball park at 100 a week extra so that's significant for us I suppose. She has until Tuesday to answer yes or no to them. She's just anxious about the type of work as used to her own Department and would not have to deal with the public whereas in DSP she will. She's not overly assertive or confident I suppose is her concern/worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I’d recommend giving it a go, as you say she could always go back to her old department if she really hates it that much.

I got promoted and switched departments last year and I’m very happy where I am now.

You never know unless you give it a try.

• Advertisement

Thanks MDWexford. That's what I've said to her and I'm sure after the initial settling in period she would be fine. She's 10 years in her current Dept, went from CO to EO a few years ago and loves where she works so it's the fear of the unknown for her I think. With regard to going back to her 'old' spot if she really didn't take to it she has a full year of probation before she would have to decide on that? What do you don't then just say job isn't for me and ask to revert back from whence ones came? This is key as if I talk her into it I need the safety switch available! Pity it's not me who got the offer as I'd have no hesitation!

It's true the grass isn't always greener and all that but she should give the new job a go. The public aren't the best to deal with all the time however she may thrive in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

She can always apply for mobility as her first task of the day in the new job.

Comfort in the new job is probably a big factor for her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭Augme

I think she'd be crazy to turn down the job. A lot more money for nowz but also in terms of pension and more annual leave.

I wouldn't be hugely confident of promotion opportunities being too plentiful in the next few years either. It's very hard to know what the future holds.

As mentioned, she can immediately put herself on the mobility list, she can ask for a transfer in the role if it's going badly, or can ask to revert back if it's going really badly.

Yeah good advice but you are still doing a min 2 years with mobility and in reality 4,5 or 6 depending on where you want to get to. I know some Departments have an aging staff demographic so the CS will see much change and movement in the years ahead. I know that's the case in my Dept anyway. Comfort is a big thing for her yeah in the new job. 10 years is a long time in one place so she has huge comfort there. I understand her reticence on that score. I think job wise she is personable and will do well in most roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

The way I look at it is I am looking to tick 4 boxes.

1. Location - likely not to be fully WFH forever
    2. Team - how you get on with co-workers, line manager, AP and PO.
    3. Work - current role interesting or tolerable
    4. Grade - extra money and leave but with more responsibility/managing

Personally, it would be tough to tick box 4 for a longer eventual commute and the unknown of 2 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Think very carefully about this.

The jobseekers who need case-management from a HEO aren't the motivated ones who are signed on for a short time between jobs.

Best case, they're people returning to the workforce after long-term caregiving or child-raising, or people who have acquired a disability - people who will be grateful for the help. But many will not be like this, and will actively resist whatever "the gubbermint" wants them to do. Results may be limited.

Some people will handle a job like this. For others, it will be your worse nightmare. Especially if you live in a smaller area, so your kids may be at school with the clients kids, etc.

The case officer can only do their best in finding them employment. Anyway they will be paid their fortnightly salary irrespective of results.

My uncle was an Inspector in a social welfare employment exchange and he said it was the toughest job he ever had. But what stood out to me was he said you needed to be made of tough material and have a thick skin for this kind of work, or it could drag you down and burn you out very, very fast.

Also, it might be worth considering that if this is a customer facing role, it might not be deemed suitable for hybrid / blended working, if that was something your wife wanted to do / continue to do in the future.

Id also be wary of a role where the direct supervisor is already out on long term sick leave - who would be there to train in or give support or what kind of support would your wife get in the role, going in cold?

I'd weigh up the pros and cons very carefully. Reverting may be an option if it really doesn't work out, but only as a last resort, as it never looks good for the career path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Is this her first move in the civil service ? I found my first move tough at first, I also moved on promotion to a different department after seven years in the one job. It can be scary, but my advice is to go for it.If she doesn’t move now, then when will she ? It’s just fear of the unknown. She’ll be fine after a couple of months, and if not there are always options to move on. That’s the great thing about the civil service. I’d caution about going back to her old job if she’s not happy though. I don’t think it’s a good idea to go back, and why revert to your previous grade ? ( unless she really, really doesn’t want the extra responsibility).

Yea we actually considered this and live far enough away for that to be a non issue, she would knows nodody in the area really which I would imagine is an advantage per your message. I received a private message from a case officer who told me that the case officer role deals with short term unemployed. That the long term are assisted by an external company if that is right.

Thank you for that. Interesting insight. This isn't an inspector role but not entirely dissimilar I imagine. That said a friend works as a welfare inspector and loves it so horses for courses I suppose. I must ask him what he loves about it!

Yes my wife would be the type to not get hung up on the outcomes and 'take it home' so to speak. If people ain't willing to engage properly but you're still getting paid not much point worrying

Yes it would be her first geographic move. She's been in one Dept 10 years and gone from CO to EO in that time. This would be new Dept, new office, completely new work hence her trepidation which I completely get. Hence we are fact finding as best we can before decision. She's tired a couple of times for HEO before with no luck. Fear of the unknown now I suppose. That said she is a practical and tough cookie and with 3 kids to put through college in the next decade or so the extra income would be most welcome. Ten years in one job makes one very comfortable though!

This is incorrect. DSP Case Officers generally deal with the short term unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

I think she has to go for it. You've said she's tried for promotion before without any luck and there's no guarantee she would get it again. How would she feel if she didn't take it, internal HEO came up in her own department and she wasn't successful? That sort of thing can leave someone very deflated and unmotivated.

Also things can change in offices very quickly. I was in one office for 11 years, and left on promotion. A lot of the staff that had been together years left either a few months before me or a few months after me. Talking Talking to one of those still left and he says it's not the same at all, dynamic completely changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭doc22

FYI as an HEO the case officer could be moved to SWI duties/or management of intreo office very easily by the AP. On the short term/long rem jobseekers, all the long term work was meant to be coming back to DSP at one stage with unions etc pushing for it. You'll need a good admin to keep everyone on their toes with appointments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

dept of social protection is a terrible place to work… what dept is she in now ? In regards to move from eo to heo…. I think I got 5-10 quid raise after tax and charges so don’t get too excited. The extra leave is good though … goes up to 29 days leave . In regards to case officer role… it’s grand but as someone said, she could be moved in morning to be something like the office manager …. Have to deal with all the crazy people who come in to office all violent cause they pissed away their money and want more etc …

obviously heo is the way to go but she could end up being a lifer in a terrible dept… so it’s her choice…. I’ve been hoping to be moved on mobility for years and nothing happening …kind of giving up on it at this stage

I believe revenue is just as bad to work for

Crikey. Are you a HEO there Lilly? Doesn't sound like a glowing review. Sigh

Thanks for that. She actually mentioned that type of scenario as a few of her best buddies are not far off places on different panels both interD and internal and 1 or 2 years could see them scattered anyway whether she stays or goes.

A friend of mine works in DSP at AP and I rang him this morning,unfortunately he doesn't know much of case officer but was a SWI for a while. He was saying there is alot of movement now and that age wise it might be the oldest Dept so over the coming years there will be a major 'brain drain' with retirements etc but also major opportunities for movement and promotion for those remaining. Interesting to hear.

It will depend on the job , office and location… certain offices are going to be better than others… down to how it’s run, and the demographic of the clientele … u obviously going to have an easier job in a small rural office than u will in a city office where there is high levels of long term unemployment … people who’s parents and grand parents never worked …

what dept is she on now ?

anyways it’s her decision really… something she has to think about … personally I would as promotion is promotion… and the job she is being offered is one of the better ones … but she will have to be ok with the fact that due to the nature of the job at hand… dealing with unemployed … it is never goin to be as enjoyable as work in education or defense for example

Ok I see what you mean. No we are rural people and it's just an average size Irish town the role is in, pretty nice place actually we'd occasionally go for an afternoon out in and a walk but would not know people in. It wouldn't have the issue you describe to be fair.

As you say promotion is promotion and practicalities of family finance and long term pension pot etc are not insignificant for our household like most others. I hear ya about how nice it might be to work in one of the nicer Departments you mention but the reality is they are not physically based near where we live. Her current Dept is revenue so it's not one of the better ones you mention but she has enjoyed it. She hasn't had a customer facing role in it so I think that would be the biggest thing for her aside from the change of location. The admin side of the job such as folks applying for schemes and courses etc like any in the civil service I suspect is fairly dull but I don't think any of them are overly exotic that said. Myself I'd love a stint in Foreign Affairs doing some travel but 3 kids later that ship has long sailed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Saying that a whole Department is a terrible place to work is a bit too much of a sweeping statement in my view. As you say yourself, a lot will depend on the particular office etc. I started out in Social Welfare (as it was then) and liked it. Didn’t really want to move Departments when I got promoted.I’ve moved around a fair bit in my current Dept, some places I’ve enjoyed more than others. Have just moved on from a Section I was in since January 2020 as I wasn’t really happy there. People were fine, but I didn’t like the work at all.

It really does just sound like fear of the unknown on behalf of OP’s wife. I wouldn’t knock her for that, completely understandable. It’s really a question of what she’d regret more, losing out on the HEO, and maybe not getting the chance again, or ending up somewhere she isn’t happy ?

All very well put trashcan. I suppose in the absence of a crystal ball one will never know until they try and make a go of the new opportunity. There are no perfect decisions with something like this. Making the best decision you can with the information available is all can be done hence here's me on boards and ringing folks who might know a bit about DSP and case officers! I changed jobs myself about 10 years ago and initially hated it, regretted it and even spoke to my previous boss about going back. He told me give it 6 months which I agreed with and I settled in well after a few months. So I know where she is coming from quite well (plus she remembers how I felt!) After a while though it just became like any other job I've had. Go in. Work/have lunch. Come home and forget about it!

I think she would regret not giving it a try if she doesn't. I think most people would be the same.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t think twice about it then, it be a lot easier in rural area .. and that particular job will feel rewarding as her job will be to help jobseekers and provide extra supports …. Anyone wanting help will be appreciative and thankful for it ..

what’s more, I know many who joined the dept from revenue and they preferred social protection over revenue … the areas they were in revenue was a lot more pressurized so they were happy out … this could be same for your wife . If I was her I would take it

Advertisement