Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Bungalow Bliss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What's the saying...."those that can't , teach"

I never said you would get the same in Dublin , like for like.

I pointed out that said they couldn't afford Dublin and didn't want to live in a commuter town.

The point I was making for 500K you would get a 3 bedroom even a 4 bedroom house in Dublin.

While I appreciate Dublin isn't the centre of the universe she's from Kildare, can't remember where he was from but they've moved to the other side of the country away from their family and friends. I know plenty of people do it, but it can be lonely especially with a young family and little or no babysitting support.

Was Niki on something before? She looks very familiar...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Are those metal roofs guaranteed for life or do they rust away.? I'd hate to have to replace it in 30 years time !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd personally doubt they are Gaurenteed for 30 years, I've been looking at this option myself, there's a discoloration gaurentee of 20 years on the quotes I've got. I supposed it's down to the type of cladding choosen, is it galvanised etc. I'm no expert incidently, others may have different opinions. I'm looking at a tile effect, insulated type.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

I liked the interior - Bedrooms and kitchen cooking area seemed a little too small though. Not keen on the green roof. Imagine living next too this - I wouldnt be happy if my neighbours put on a green roof. As it ages it will be an eyesore. I never get how architects say that it ( ie green roof) fits into the surroundings - to me it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think he just didnt like the design, but was railroaded into it.

One reason for doing a major renovation is to bring the insulation and heating standards up to current levels. I hate the way these programmes never mention this - I suppose they are considered too nerdy for most of us. The 'human story' gets preference instead.

Hugh mentioned insulation, said usually built with two tinder blocks with a gap in-between that may or may not get stuffed with paper,proceeded then to pull out a wad of paper.

They put 150 mm (I think) of insulation on the walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭Furze99

Some before and after pictures here. Including the original ground plan. https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2021/1201/1264206-gallery-galway-bungalow-transformed-into-modern-home/

Thanks, I didn't see the entire program, will have to look at it later.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with the exterior at all and the Roof color a little loud IMO, I think a Grey Tile effect would have looked better, but again, just a personal opinion.

If it's a statement they were trying to achieve, they did, this building was once a cow shed 😁

I'm still not getting were €350k went

• Registered Users Posts: 66,298 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeh, they even showed it being installed and how bad or nonexistent it was in the original.

Thanks for that link.

This came up as a concern before in another show.....do all the bedrooms have a door to get outside?

1. Extra expense of the door.

2. Not very practical when you have small children or even teenagers!

I noticed that too. The windows dont seem to have another opening other than the silly little door. Also I think those things that look like doors looks awful.

With small kids you would have to keep these locked at all times. You couldnt even leave a key in them with kids!

Only the bathroom window seems to open, apart from those doors. They’d look better with glass. I love a full patio door style window in my bedroom, but have a normal window too. I’d never have one in the kids bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

"We're really only limited by our imaginations, to what materials we can use"

Glad to see that cost doesn't come into the equation, when deciding on materials. Sure everyone has an unlimited budget, right? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭monseiur

It must the most expensive 3 bed bungalow west of the Shannon or perhaps east !

It would be OK for a retired couple who had more money than sense but not ideal for a young growing family

Allow €50k for site & land, it cost €450k approx, at 1,800 sq. feet that's approx €250.00 per sq foot. Compare that with what the mica affected home owners in Donegal are offered.

For €75k less they should have a modern fit for purpose house with a minimium of 4 bedrooms on ground floor and attic space completed

Architects love to indulge their fantasies as long as some poor gullible git is paying thru' the nose for it and stuck with it for decades and paying an exorbitant mortgage for the next 35 years.

Having kitchen, dining room & living room in one open plan area is a disaster and they'll regret it. It may be fine for summer holiday apartment along the Med. but not for permanent living in rainy Ireland.

Needless to say the green roof is a disaster, seeing that money was no object they should have gone for natural slate, Blue Bangor or similar. The colour was the only thing green about it - no solar or photovolatic panel in sight....but I guess they would not be visually pleasing in the eyes of airy-fairy architects.

I think the thinking was to remove the ceiling joists and put a lighter roof on the house. The rafters might not have supported a heavy roof.

The whole programme was a shocking indictment of the cost of building in Ireland. They got a pretty basic house with large windows. I wonder how much the Revenue recouped in VAT and ancillary charges never mind the builders income tax ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wouldnt hire those architects anyway.

Admittedly they had a crap house i the first place that did need a lot of work, but all the architects did was get them a €300k shed thats was a smaller size than the original house.

That was a very poor show by the architects. They should have ended up with something a hell of a lot better than they did.

And living room, dining room and kitchen all in the one place. Obviously the architects didnt have kids. A house that size should allow the whole family space to have some peace from one another. As it is they will end up killing each other.

Maybe if you don't really live in the house.

Imagine trying to watch abit of TV while someone is clattering about in the kitchen.

Kitchen will always have to be spotless or else you are left looking at dirty counters.

Visitors especially surprise ones would be a nightmare as no where to hide.

I wonder how many people are regretting open plan now as they're wfh at the kitchen table while rest of the household is milling around you. Or worse, contaminating your bedroom with work as only place that's quiet.

They didn't put a home office in that bungalow. The loft space could be used I suppose.

We never to see the full house in these programmes - we just get glimpses of rooms. I would think they do have a home office (it would be madness in this day and age not to) as well as the 3 bedrooms.

Just had another look at the link Maryanne put up......there's a desk under the stairs 🙄 but there's not a designated close the door office.

They went from a 6 bedroom bungalow to a 3 bedroom....I get that the layout is probably better but it's really the minimum amount of rooms that they actually need.....I can see another extension added in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I like a lot of what they did but they really didn't get much bang for their buck.

They are left with 3 smallish sized bedrooms ,a small snug,which I presume will end up being the TV room.

iirc the upstairs only had that small study area, probably too small for a bedroom,so probably end up as a home office or dead space.

Spending all that money but no sign of solar panels or anything that might reduce heating costs.

Was also mentioned they were using a lot of experimental materials ,any idea what they were talking about?

Also house would have been closer to 2000sq ft. after they knocked all the back of it.

2000sq ft new build would surely have been no more expensive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

How is it that these types of programs never show anything about heating systems, with all this talk about heat pumps and solar panels and how they are going to save the planet? I'm sure most people would be more interested in how the house is heated rather than looking at some architects fantasy of a green galvanized roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,298 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd imagine from the glimpse we got the back extension wasn't worth saving and too costly to replace. A well designed house is better than a bigger crap house IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just watching this now. Some people have fierce notions. Kids name is Jasper too. FFS.

They said they bought the bungalow for 150k because they'd never be able to afford to buy in Dublin or they'd be in the commuter belt. Very strange reasoning considering they then went and bought in Connemara. And also their reno budget is 220k meaning a total spend of 360k...you'd get a fine place in the sticks in Kildare near her homeplace.

Yer wan wears the trousers anyways. Every question Hugh asks, the hubby looks to her before answering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yer man reminds me of Eoin O'Broin too. Very very similar looking and similar voice.

Advertisement