Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jussie Smolett-Mentally ill?

Comments

Wtf would a person be thinking to fake getting beat up and having them pour bleach on him.

Probably thinking of all the media exposure and the large contracts he'd get.

Yup. Very unoriginal but effective tactic for fading star of any colour.

Leeching off the prevailing orthodoxy that the United States is "institutionally racist".

He's not mentally ill, just very manipulative, exploitative, and clearly intent on advancing his career off the back of it; the "permanent black victim that got attacked by the insidiously racist USA". Surely, if his stupid, ill-thought out plan worked, he would have hoovered up an abundance of media attention and exposure and, with it, lucrative contracts.

This case doesn't show that Smollett is "mentally ill", not at all - that's just excuse making and absolves him of all cunning responsibility.

He's just a thoroughly grotesque person who faked a serious attack, insulting those who have experienced real racism in the United States.

I've zero sympathy for the guy and hope he never gets a job as an actor again.

I think it shows he obviously thought this was a good career move. That there is a market for racism in America. A dearth of genuine victims of racism. He was looking to fill that gap in the market on the basis that it would give him a million victim points to use in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It used to be "stolen pictures" or "sex tape" before. It is not so popular or effective in current climate so he went for the next best thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mikethecop

mentally ill . ?

greedy manipulative racist scum bag more like

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

The plan was fairly shite and badly thought out...

That 2 white supremacists would be hanging around a tough Chicago neighbourhood with a noose ready to lynch a black man....please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

He should be done for some kind of hate crime for the damage he did to the gay and black communities. Those making such false claims are no better than the bigots, worse maybe.

Just attention seeking, plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

He did this as leverage to land a bigger role in Empire which he was part of (an awful nonsensical mess of a series he starred in). He’s a disgusting manipulative racist and I hope he gets what is coming to him with this trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not mentally ill, but a massive consumer of the Kool Aid and listener to his own publicist.

But his career is over now. At least any career than doesn't involve offering fries with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There was a lot of potential in it and he would have been cruising on the wave of the Zeitgeist.

It worked for so many others, he was unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No he isn’t mentally ill, he was in this Instance calculating and being a dick. I remember all the Hollywood set tweeting like canaries singing about how they stood with him and all along it was him staging an attack.

I remember the black Chicago police chief being visible pissed off about and called him out on it and he was right.I shouldn’t get away with a slap on the wrist for this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I remember when it first happened and thinking that's a bit too perfect. MAGA hats, noose around the neck, racial & homophobic slurs, all happening to this moderately known actor.

My initial thought was also that the only thing he is known for is Empire. A show mostly about black people and the black music industry. WTF are homophobic white supremacists doing watching Empire? How would they even know who is was?

Jussie Smollett is your typical actor, living in a world of dilusion. Thinking that we would believe anything. Thinking this will be a silver bullet for his career.

The relief is that the people involved owned up to it. Because media would have rolled on with this ridiculous story.

It's a shame the special prosecutor isn't going after Kim Foxx aswell. She was the one who quietly dropped all charges against Smolett, before a special prosecutor was assigned to the case. Her controversial decision shocked many and led to an unprecedented press conference by the Chicago Police Department in which it blasted the decision. 

Supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

This guy is the direct product of the whole race-baiting element within Woke culture which gives kudos for those who can display the most victimhood.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement