Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Viewing a property - Pyrite

Options
  • 03-12-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Viewing a property later today in Rush. The owner has rented it out to a couple who live in the same estate who's house is being remediated for Pyrite. This led me to ask about the house on offer and the EA has said that all remediation works are complete and it has a green cert etc.

I have no experience of Pyrite. Can I just plough on and consider everything to be sorted or do I bail and leave alone?

Cheers,

Fitz

Comments

If it's a semi detached, find out if next door has had their works done.

No point buying a house if the one next door might fall down.

Do you have a mortgage provider? Be interested to hear what they think? Would they be comfortable sanctioning this?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

Re' the Green Cert, my brother had his pyrite sorted out about 10 years ago. I assume it was certified at the time.

He had to move back out of his house again a couple of years ago to get the pyrite sorted. Will that be the last time?

If it was me, I would avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

Run a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭ozmo

Good spot - Shouldn't this have been mentioned though somewhere by the estate agent - very unfair to whoever buys it to not be told.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Walk away. It's only asking for trouble in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Op. The pyrite remediation cert means exactly what it says. I wouldn't worry about buying it personally once it has been repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

OP I'd run a mile on this. No knowing what further problems you could be buying into.

I'd bet that the asking price is a little on the lower end??

If the house has been remidiated I don't see a problem in buying it or am I missing something?

People will always wonder if it was fully & properly fix. Even the mention of Pyrite will reduce the number of potential buyers.

• Advertisement

Let them wonder but if a house has been structurally repaired it's no different then buying a house build without Pyrite substance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would have thought the bank will ask for proof it's been remediated before giving you funds?

I live in the area, there are a few well- known developments in it with pyrite, being remediated.If it's a local agent they should have been through this process before and can advise.

To be honest if it has been remediated I do't see the problem.The house is almost brand new once that is done.

Yeah. Let them wonder....but they'll look elsewhere when buying a home. Who wants to buy a potential problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

Viewed it and the EA said next door had been done too. Was a bit on the small side though so both factors have made me leave it be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the price you buy it for reflects that, that the resale value may also reflect it should be irrelevant.

People buy older houses with fixed flaws, terrible design problems or known timebombs all the time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness (and not that it matters now), I wouldn't trust the word of an estate agent on something as serious as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

if the problem has been remedied and is also certified , there is nothing to worry about , pyrite was an issue in thousands of properties , this did not result in said properties selling for a song once remedial work had it been carried out

i know of a house going to auction on friday where no cert is available even though half the estate has had to undergo remedial work , 250 k the reserve , now i would not buy this even there is no obvious sign of pyrite and no cert would lead me to believe the vendor is hiding something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

Some properties have been remedied and certified twice, so definitely something to worry about.

There isn't a hope I would buy one of these properties, no matter how many "certificates" there are.

The reason they go for a high price is an indication of the absolute state of the Irish property market right now, not the confidence people have in them.

Likewise I'm sure it was all certified by the builder and quarry beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Whats the official way to find out if a property has had remediation works done ?

Advertisement