Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie update - 25th November 2021

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would like to think that any comments/opinions/posts made are acceptable but at the end of the day that is not up to you or me to decide.

I have yet to see you or anyone else here challenging another poster on the content of their post/expressed opinion. For some unknown reason you wish to single out people who donate their time freely to this site. Personally I have no modding responsibilities in this thread yet you only take exception to anything I or any other mod posts. As I said earlier I dont understand what beef you and others have with people who are mods, Cmods or Admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Actually, it is up to you to decide what 'opinion' is acceptable ... maybe not on this thread, but on the threads that you mod.

I'm really surprised that a mod who has been around for as long as you seemingly has no knowledge about one of the most basic rules of the site. Just to remind you there is "no free speech on boards".

And also, please stop the little personal digs when you are replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Can ye give it a rest.

Exactly That's what I don't get either.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

We needed the data. Search on site is a problem but our biggest traffic driver is Google search by far. No data/content … no traffic. Numbers are growing - traffic, as revenue etc. New user count is very promising also.

We will be opening up a staging environment in the new year which will be more ‘out of the box’. We had to get off the old platform first and after some failed trial runs before we thought familiarity first.

We won’t do anything on that yet but that will be a managed process with input from Vanilla.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

PROC is a very different proposition.

I’m not more focused on anything other than keeping Boards alive. There are no resources being focused on other projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Well, I think we can all agree on one thing, that we want you to succeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Spot on. The fact that after what, 4 months, we are still waiting for something as simple as a 'delete post' function to be implemented is astonishing.

And the Boards solution: PM a mod to get it deleted. More work for the mods, more effort for the poster.

How in the world can not be possible to get a Delete post option added to one of the lists being sent through to Vanilla? Surely something so basic cannot be something that would take long for Boards to request or for Vanilla to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As i discovered to myself recently, you can delete whole content of the message and replace with new content, including img.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I remember when you were but a pleb like the rest of us. No idea how you became a mod though.

Good to know you now know your limitations as an underpaid, under valued member of boards 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Ahmad Icy Glob

That’s true.. but I have had occasional circumstances where I’d rather simply quickly delete a post rather than fill it with some waffle… not with Andi g the fact that I am exceedingly good at waffle! But other posters just want it cut & dried and not wanting to put in any stuff for the sake of replacing what they quickly feel to be an regretted post.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Ahmad Icy Glob

I would not be a Mod on Boards now if I were paid for it tbh. It’s always a tricky place to be, especially if you are actually suited to it. Pulled out just in time, but ironically most of the posting in the forum I modded is actually less problematic IMHO than when it was more heavily modded. Sometimes the psychology is “to fight the mods” as much as it is to fight other posters.

Below is another massive problem with the mobile site. I use an iPhone, I have a certain eye muscle issue which means I have to correct typos quite a lot. Very hard to explain to those unaffected by adult variable strabismus. Now my finger managed to unintentionally click on the image below. I am overseas, no access to a PC. I simply cannot delete it. Harmless in the context here, but say I hit that picture in an RIP thread, I’d have a nightmare on my hands in same scenario.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That there is a workaround isn't really the point though. The fact that such a basic function hasn't been implemented after months, and workarounds are still needed, is the point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Image at comment #102 removed.

As mod on another site, and admin on a large Facebook group (which doesn't have the benefit of anonymity) frankly I disagree with the idea that it's difficult. I think you could train monkeys to do most of it on most forums. It's a question of having very simple rules (I can't even find this site's Terms of Use except on desktop) and making sure they're applied evenly. I think the complicating thing for mods is when they don't know the rules, as is obvious from one mod here, or apply them unevenly depending on whether they like or dislike the poster, agree or disagree with their point etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I guess we all know that this site has still lots of things on TO DO list.

Your point is taken, mine is that we don't have to touch mod for that. Not perfect, but at least some control.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

At the risk of repeating what has already been said, there are only two mods here: me and Spear. Above us are site admins and above them are Boards.ie staff. Anyone else who happens to moderate another forum is not recognised as a mod in here and is not treated as such. They’re ordinary users and subject to the same rules as everyone else.

Once again: moderators from other forums are not moderators in here, and should not be referred to as such as it is factually incorrect.

-Shield.

I would like to think that any comments/opinions/posts made are acceptable but at the end of the day that is not up to you or me to decide.

You know for fact that opinions don't have free reign here, disingenuity is dripping from this post. The rules of not being a dick and not attacking the poster supercede this. You asked whether opinions are acceptable(twice) then ignored the answers given and tripled down. You are purposefully framing this in an insincere way.

Ultimately, Odhran will read this thread, note one mod running around saying he can post what he likes once it's his opinion, one mod saying "but he's not a mod on this forum" (a complete non sequitur as no one has suggested it, he is a Boards.ie mod who is posting here) and one mod bleating about his wealth and surely realise where the problems lie.

Mod: Post deleted. Posting internet memes as replies is not permitted as per the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Having used the forum over the last few months I find it getting better slowly but clearly quite a few posters have gone AWOL since as there just does not seem to be the same pace of posts or interaction as there used to be. I find myself nearly posting to myself in threads that would have been hugely popular before the change over.

It's not terrible but compared to where it was there is work to do.

Thanks for the update. Hope things get back on track soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement