Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loss of Smell & Taste

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Got covid last Christmas. Asthma was really bad for a few months after- not been that bad since I was a child. Bit weary about being out and about with the numbers so high really don’t want catching it again. Desperate times. Where will this all end?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PatrickRuns

I actually believe the majority of people regain 100% smell and taste (or close) within 2-4 weeks, but the ones who don't tend to be the ones posting online.

Smell improved again for me today. I think i'm at 15-20% now. I can smell things from further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Loss my taste and smell on Friday. Took an antigen test and it was positive. PCR test confirmed it. So far the loss of taste and smell with a slight cough are my only symptoms. Hopefully they’ll come back. Eating just isn’t the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Had Covid in late June, no actual loss of taste or smell but get a really weird smell regularly. Most times relatively minor but sometimes so heavy I can almost taste it. It will normally happen a few times a day. Can only describe it a a kind of chemical smell. Just comes out of nowhere but anything even remotely stressful can start it off. All I can do is remind myself it's all in my head and carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PatrickRuns

I've regained 80-90% of my smell now. Certain spices are still not 100% smellable, but fruity/herbal/floral/fermented smells are all back, as well as more unpleasant smells.

Keep the faith!

Not sure if it (or what) helped but this is what I did:

- Vitamin C, D and Zinc supplements

- Lion's mane supplement

- Olfactory training and in general i tried to eat and smell things i'm very familiar with, and that have strong flavours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Lost both of mine during the summer. Still got nothing.

I ate a raw onion the other day to see what it was like - crunchy 😁

I eat based on texture now. Need variety.

Very, very occasionaly, I’ll smell something very weak, but when I go to try more, it’s gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Sense of smell went for about a week, and took another week or so to return fully.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lost my sense of smell and most of taste (about 90%) last week (on day 9 of isolation so recent enough) but reading this thread is a bit depresseing! Hopefully it'll come back by itself, eating is a bit of a joyless endeavour without taste.

As others have said, can 'taste' something spicy or salty, haven't tried anything super sweet but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

my taste went, got it bac after about 3 days. wasnt vaccinated, had mild flu symptoms.

wife lost her taste for about 6 weeks or thereabouts. she was vaccinated. she was a bit panicky it would never come back tbh.. we like our grub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Into week 5 with no taste, hoping it’s back for xmas!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Oh no, that's awful! I hope it comes back for you soon.

My taste and smell started to come back around Day 12, I'm now on Day 15 but neither of them are 100% yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Thanks, yeah it’s not much fun to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I do think people confuse taste and smell a lot.

Your tongue can taste sweet, salty, bitter and savoury (umami) but everything else, like the taste of an orange or chocolate or a biscuit is actually your smell senses.

Apparently covid attacks the support cells that assist your olfactory cells at the top of your nose. Luckily covid does not attack the olfactory cells themselves, so your ability to smell is not permanently damaged.

I lost my sense of smell last Monday (Day 3 of symptoms). I've been lucky in that I'm vaccinated and therefore my covid infection has been rather mild since Monday and short lived compared to what I was expecting. While I lost 100% of my smell on Monday, I've been training it back since then. Smelling perfume, mint leaves, tea tree oil, tabasco, anything strong I can get a hold of. In my very unscientific opinion, I am of the view that my olfactory nerves are picking up the smell, but my brain knows that it isn't processing it properly. I'm hoping this will trigger the brain to produce more of the support cells, so that I recover my smell senses quicker.

It appears to be somewhat successful so far. I would say that I have about 20% of my smell senses back. I can clearly smell certain ingredients in my perfume, but since it still smells rather faint and completely different, I assume not all my support cells do the same job. I could faintly taste my coffee this morning, I can smell coconut and mint. No tea tree oil yet, or more subtler scents. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

@JDD that makes sense and we had figured the same that it was all connected to the loss of smell. I could taste salt, sugar and anything spicy but there were no flavours to go with them if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

My sense of smell is diminished but a lot of things smell like ammonia to me now esp perfumes, detergents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi - I've had both rounds of vaccines and got Covid recently - not sure what variant, but it was quite mild - like a cold for a few days. I tested positive for around 14 days until I got 2 clear lateral flows.

However, I now have a continuous bad taste in my mouth - metallic taste. I just can't get rid of it despite brushing, flossing mouth washes etc.

Is this related to Covid and and how long does it last if it is related?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭raclle

Lost mine two months ago and still hasn't returned. Sometimes get the smell of strong scents but that's about it. Heard an "expert" on this particular covid issue on newstalk stating its nerve damage but will eventually heal and return.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I lost my sense of smell some time last year, I don't recall being sick but it just went, i could no longer smell my kids farts but my taste seemed to be fine strangely enough..

Fast forward to this year, i was feeling poorly for the last couple of weeks with gastro issues but no positives on the antigens and I noticed that, as i got better, my smell is back and can smell you know what again.

I suspect i've had it at least once as a result just never tested positive.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This might be worth looking into a bit further if someone is struggling with smell, they're claiming "that patients who undertook the exercises recovered completely from loss of smell."

I know nothing about the subject just stumbled across it while looking for something holiday related..

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/turkish-method-to-cure-post-covid-19-smell-loss-gains-traction/news

Advertisement