Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corrugated Galvanized Roof on House?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

my3cents wrote: »
    You don't need to frown on it for long as within 12 months often much less the shine is gone.

The plastic coated stuff is good but requires a small amount more skill to use as in many cases you screw into the valleys to prevent distorting the sheets so every fixing has to be waterproof. A poor fixing on a traditional CGI on the ridges isn't going to let much water in.

Even with the shine gone off it doesn't blend in with the country side....green or grey is much better
    You can get it corrugated like the old galvanise and you don't have to put the fixings in the valleys, picture 3 and 8 on eamons link can be fixed the same as conventional.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

wrangler wrote: »
    Even with the shine gone off it doesn't blend in with the country side....green or grey is much better
    You can get it corrugated like the old galvanise and you don't have to put the fixings in the valleys, picture 3 and 8 on eamons link can be fixed the same as conventional.

thanks wrangler,
    as I understood it form a few of the earlier posts on this thread, the dark red oxide colour was reckoned to be a nice traditional look? I haven't seen too many green or grey on very old buildings. I take it you are not a fan then of the oxide red?
    The picture 8 you referred to in the link, is this a plastic sheet or is it a metal sheet coated with plastic? Im still not sure on that. Its also not at my local co-op and have only seen it there on donedeal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

eamon11 wrote: »
    The picture 8 you referred to in the link, is this a plastic sheet or is it a metal sheet coated with plastic? Im still not sure on that. Its also not at my local co-op and have only seen it there on donedeal.

I think what you're looking at there is the Pvc coated sheet.
    I've Pvc coated cladding ordered at the minute for a shed here. Ballpark money for 0.7 gauge Pvc is €8.70/m

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

eamon11 wrote: »
    thanks wrangler,
    as I understood it form a few of the earlier posts on this thread, the dark red oxide colour was reckoned to be a nice traditional look? I haven't seen too many green or grey on very old buildings. I take it you are not a fan then of the oxide red?

As far as I know it's .7mm pvc coated galvanise steel, most of the stockist buy it in flat rolls and have machinery on site to corrugate it or any design you want.
    I don't like the red but that's only a matter of choice. Dermot Bannon used it on an extension on Telly last year and it looked really good.
    A company called Skyclad near Mullingar sell a lot of it here in the midlands , as does Kilbeggan Steel so it's easy enough to get hold of

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jasushaw

I have corrugated sheeting/ cladding put on my house its an old cottage. Works out far cheaper as a roof when I compaired the price with slates and tile etc. It came in the lengths needed and very quick to put up. As regards noise I have it very well insulated and have no noise issues you can also buy the sheeting already insulated so it saves on labour time so not having to insulate after the sheeting is up. I have it in a navy colour on a stone cottage. Would upload pics but I dont know how to!!

Hi
    I am thinking of putting this on a extension to a old cottage next month. Would love to see some pictures or any thing you would recommend ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I think this was done on Dermot Bannon's TV show last year on RTE. It was a farmhouse (I think it was in Tipp) and a single storey extension to the side was added which was roofed with tin like sheets.

I suspect you'd want to do it cheaper though. You'll need a hell of a load of insulation to keep the heat in and also reduce the noise.

You would be much better off getting the prepainted zinc coated sheets instead of the bare sheets - much better quality for a little more expense. You'll save in the long run with rust and paint costs. Peeling paint on a tin roof (which will happen) looks awful - bad enough on a byre, but worse still on a house.

This is the one that Dermot done. You might find more details on it elsewhere:
    pjimage-574.jpg?strip=all&w=960

That’s my mates house. It’s not a steel roof it’s just made to look like it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That’s my mates house. It’s not a steel roof it’s just made to look like it

How is he liking it now? Did he do anything with the odd window at the back gable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

How is he liking it now? Did he do anything with the odd window at the back gable?

The hobbit window? He actually likes it

Good stuff. I liked that extension - one of Dermots better efforts.

Do you know what the roof is actually made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Looking to put a galvanised steel roof on a structure currently being built.

Anyone used this product before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is that an insulated steel sheet?

I'd be wary of the bio paint. There's new cars and high tech farm machinery coming out now with bio plastic made from soya on their wiring and rats are having a field day now chewing through them.

It won't be rats with paint but same principle with bacteria and other microlife feeding on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hadn't heard about that, interesting. There's a 25 year guarantee with them.

Its not insulated

I just watched my bungalow bliss which was in Galway and they put a green corrugated roof on their house. The whole build looked well, but I could not help feeling that it was a lot of money for what they got.

I think I would have found a way of faking it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

My neighbour had his roof tiles cleaned & respray painted about 10 or more years ago, it still looks good.

The Connemara house definitely needed remodelling. But to spend that amount of money and devalue the house with a tin roof is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭cjpm

They ended up spending over €500k on a 3 bed rural house in Galway. I actually felt sorry for them. Good luck sleeping during heavy rain.....

Architects don't realise that plenty of our grandparents lived in houses with corrugated roofs, and they couldn't wait to get the fcuk out of them once a newer house was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I have just realised that whatever he sprayed on the roof looks as good as day one, it hasn't faded and there is no sign of moss. I must have a chat with him next time I see him out for his daily walk.

I had to laugh at your man at the start

Presenter - What's your budget?

Couple - 205k + 30k contingency

Presenter - So you've a 235k budget... 😄

Some time later...

Couple - Our budget is 350k

Not sure I seen where the additional spend went - I'm sure some of it went on increased cost of materials though. They picked a really unfortunate time to do a build, but hindsight is 20/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

This happens on all these shows, you'd have to wonder do they knock a hundred grand or so off at the start or do they have to go back to the bank for another hundred grand.

It's not the sort of money most people have stashed away for a rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

They essentially knocked the house back to a shell and rebuilt it , it would have been cheaper to build a house . Where designers and cameras are involved the budget would come under serious pressure pretty quickly , I remember DOD wasnt too impressed when his renovation escalated and a side of him that we didnt know existed revealed itself .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Architects like to build what's in fashion and not what's best suited. I said to a few of the lads watching the programme with me it would be a cool air bnb but to spend 500k for a glorified shed was scandalous. The only people smiling were the producers of the programme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement