Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD - Post from mrslancaster moved here: New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

I'm not sure if anyone actually knows what you require anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Honest opinion based on clearing goods in from the UK on a regular basis, if it's food of any sort don't bother, the rules are so finnicky that it isn't worth your while to deal with the import clearance process unless you are shipping in commercial quantities on a regular basis. You may well be asked to provide a list of the ingredients for the products, proof of the origin of the individual ingredients and licences for any agri ingredients in the products(cheese powder on your walkers cheese and onion for example).. Add to that that the yellow channel of customs currently takes 6-10 days, so that will be your minimum delay..

Try find the goods in NI would be my best suggestion..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TheIrishPC

Bought stuff in the Black Friday sales from the UK, expected to arrive Tuesday. It arrived in An Post on Sunday, thought it might arrive Monday when I was out, it didn't and then Tuesday night the tracking says We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender. So now I'm just waiting for a refund in my account because there hasn't been any further update.

All my details in the confirmation email correct too

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Thanks for taking the time, friend. It sounds like a nightmare alright! Pre Brexit, I could get all my favourites from before I moved here. It's so stupid that

the gobs**te Bojo can screw everything up with the stroke of a pen just to satisfy his own ego and his "Churchill fantasy"!!! Thanks anyway, I'll get my son to shop in Sainsburys up North, as he goes there every few months! All the best!

Looks like the An Post customs portal can't take the traffic. Worst than the Garth Brooks ticket queue! 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Is the website down? Christ our public services must compete for a prize to see who can be the most useless department every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

So I paid the customs duty on a parcel.. Anyone know how long it takes them to post it out to me..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

A lot of UK sellers specify the import charges as a separate amount on the eBay item page and is added to the total.

But some don't. I ordered a few items recently from the UK and this customs fee wasn't specified.

The goods didn't arrive to me but customs automatically returned them to the seller.

I was refunded by the seller on both occasions as the packages were returned.

How do you buy off a seller that does not specify the import charges?

is it legal for Irish customs to send the package back to the UK without consultation with the buyer if there is no customs charges specified on the eBay page?

Surely customs have to work out something with the buyer. i.e. invoice them for the customs charges.

They don't - it should arrive with correct and complete information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭deezell

Sending stuff back is so wrong. If duty/vat is due on your goods, they should fulfill their international obligations to deliver mail and determine the charges. Add €10 fee if they must, but everyone loses by returning, Anpost, you, supplier, revenue. For centuries you could post a parcel from anywhere in the world, and you would always receive it, prohibited goods notwithstanding. Now they are returning Tee shirts, fan belts, wooden toys and endless other perfectly legal and duty free goods, because they can't be arsed to do their job. They are mandated to collect taxes, so get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Another one going back today. I've lost count now, 4 or 5 in the last few months all from the same supplier, all correctly filled in cn22 etc, some get through.
    My supplier is getting seriously fed up too.
    These are spare parts for my work, my business is taking a serious hit, I cannot buy these parts outside the UK.
    I just get the same generic answer from An Post.

I'm getting couriers in future and pass on the extra to the customer.

03 December 2021 04:35

We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender.

02 December 2021 14:31

Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

02 December 2021 13:55

We have your post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

02 December 2021 13:54

Your delivery was received by An Post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sometimes its not too expensive for couriers from the UK. Due to the volumes they can generally get far better rates than here. A pity is has come to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

Ordered a pair of shoes from the UK who shipped it via Royal Mail to Ireland. Got an email to pay customs charges on Friday which I promptly did. Yesterday morning now the tracking says there was an issue an the package is being sent back to the seller after charging me. An Post support says that it was incorrectly marked for send back but I only found this out after they first tried to fob me off to Revenue who have nothing to do with it! It seems that An Posts automated system is at fault again and flagged it incorrectly. Nice one An Post! You're really doing a great job in typical Irish fashion 🙄

05 December 2021 09:20

We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender.

05 December 2021 08:20

Your delivery was received by An Post in

03 December 2021 13:38

Custom charges have been paid. Your item will be processed and delivered to you as soon as possible. Please hold tight while we work through high volumes.

03 December 2021 10:09

Your item is in Ireland. A customs charge has been applied and details have been sent to you. You can pay the fee on our website, or at your local Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

"We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender"

This is just plain ****-housing on An Post's part. It was not that they couldn't deliver it. They just couldn't be arsed delivering it.

As you said the customs money was paid, so what was their problem?

They should do what FedEx (and DHL) do. Deliver every package that has a question mark over it firstly and then trust that the recipient will reimburse the customs charge once they are sent the invoice (by eMail).

Its a matter of trust. Trust your customer. FedEx do.

You have obviously not seen the amount of times people have asked if they have to pay An Post or couriers for VAT and charges that have already been delivered. I'm surprised FedEx are still doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anytime you have a question as to why you are being financially screwed in Ireland, first consider if Revenue might have a hand it and secondly, is there more tax to be had by it or will you be subsidising commercial interests handsomly? The answer is almost always yes to one or the other. I can not understand why Irish people endlessly bemoan Ireland being so expensive yet never seek or find the cause, which is that the public sector are grossly inefficient while also being overly remunerated and they seem to have a fondness for having the populace subsidise various interests through compulsory requirements and expenditure.

In this case it's both. Anpost get their ridiculous handling fee for something thats electronic and hand-less - kaching - and Revenue get more by tightening the mesh of the net - kaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Very wise words. Take a trip around any European city and your jaw will drop at the difference in lifestyle and standards.

I recently bought something from an individual in Germany on ebay - not a business using ebay or regular seller. Cost to send it to me via DHL was €19. An issue arose where I might have had to send it back so I measured the box and weighed it. €84 to send it back via DHL.

I have. I'm originally from Australia and am currently trying to sell up and emigrate. When Gormley green lit diesel and demonised petrol in 2008, I realised Ireland was heading for crippling climate change excuse taxes and mandated expenditure burdens. Unfortunately kids in school and college and a legal problem meant I had to wait it out.

Mod - Keep it on topic please. There are others forums more suitable to the cost of living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Just got an €18.50 fee from UPS (on top of €23 customs charge) as a handling charge for customs (as well as that ever so unwelcome COD request) so the An Post €3.50 doesn't seem so bad!

And compared to Business prices for customs clearance, that UPS price is still cheap. Normal starting rate for 1 line entries is still starting at around €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Anyone experiencing long delays after you've paid customs charge. Its been 5 days since I paid customs charge tracking shows its been released to an post but nothing in 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Any way to get the An Post Customs reference to pay the charge if you didn't get the notice? I've a package with them since last week and no sign of any notice yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep. Message them on their chat function on their website. Did it myself a few weeks ago.

Wow I got on to them this morning and they've valued the parcel at more than twice what it cost including delivery! The charges are almost the original cost! I've emailed them with the invoice to explain but am guessing this is going to take a while to sort out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭deezell

You'd feel like screaming. Useless bs. If they were a private delivery business they'd be in liquidation by now, who would trust them to deliver anything. They now are operating on the basis that they have no obligation to the consignee, who legally owns the goods, tax and duties notwithstanding. These charges were aways determined on invoice price previously, though did I read somewhere that they can base VAT on final expected retail value, the vat a consumer would pay on the exact same item, which is fine if you're a trader, as will all cancel out in the end.

I bought Black friday Tado Kit for €212 from Germany, it was about €5 less in UK provided (1) it was not sent back, (2), they accepted the free delivery was included in price, (3) they did not apply a ludicrous exchange rate to the £ invoice, and (4) they did not value it for Vat at retail price as per Tado website which was double what I paid. Add the €3.50 fee to all of that, It was a no brainer, delivered straight to the door in 3 days from Deutchland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In case you think the "they" applying the exchange rate is An Post, it is not. It is the Revenue. They reset it at the start of each month.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/importing-and-exporting/exchange-rates/2021/december-2021.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I've been looking at courier companies.

The problem with couriers is the cost on low value items, by the time you pay the shipping cost and then the handling fee your looking at 30-40 Euros to the courier company.

You could absorb that if the item cost a few hundred Euros.

That's why there was a revenue threshold before as it didn't make economic sense on items for a low price like 20 or 30 euros.

• Advertisement

Any idea how to dispute a valuation? I've tried email and calling to provide the invoiced value not the one they seem to have made up but no one is responding or can tell me how to go about it.

Advertisement