Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Mazepin must not be paying Haas enough if he doesn't get first call on parts and car upgrades.

I would have thought Mazepins money was keeping Haas afloat and that Schumacher was only getting scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah you'd think Mazepin was going to be the one calling the shots but i suppose the reality must be different and the team must retain more control.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I'm surprised the Schumacher name didn't bring in enough money that they needed to paint the car in a Russian flag.

With the budget cap and increasing commercial revenues you would hope that F1 will become more self financing and pay drivers will be needed less in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I imagine the palative care that Michael needs after the accident isn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lewis not comfortable In Saudi, as he wanders around around Petronas written large across his chest, a company owned by the Malaysia government

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59511709

• Advertisement

theguardian.com: Grenfell Tower: Gove joins condemnation of Lewis Hamilton F1 deal.

Interesting take on the Kingspan sponsorship of the Mercedes car.

Lewis doesn't control sponsorship so I wouldn't blame him for the deal. I wonder if they'll end up terminating the contract though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Most cars would have no sponsors on them if people went into the details more. Even though tobacco is banned from advertising, they still do it with Ferrari and McLaren. Merc also benefit from Petronas, who are state owned...and they aren't very nice to certain citizens over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I agree, if you start down that road where does it end? Lots of F1 teams have sponsorship deals with companies that are morally dubious it’s a can of worms that’s best left closed. I’m all for giving Hamilton stick at any opportunity but I doubt he has much say in which companies get their name on the car.

Wouldn't particularly give Hamilton stick over the Kingspan one but the team's title sponsor ain't squeaky clean either. I was glib (either here or race thread) about it because it was mentioned as an Irish company. But they're the same as any other big company, money, money, money and if people die, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Mercedes themselves are still being actively investigated for their continued cheating on diesel emissions regulations, knowingly accelerating climate change and causing mass scale respiratory and other pollution related health issues for the sake of money, so it's hardly a surprise they're in bed with a lot of very shady sponsors.

• Advertisement

Neither would I give Hamilton stick. But since he's associated with the Grenfell group then it's natural thst they would use it as an opportunity to have a pop at Kingspan. Poor all Lewis. No good deed...

Formula 1 cars don't run on diesel. These days the shadiest thing Kingspan do is shirt sponsor Cavan GAA. They have plenty of money without sponsorship if they'd only use it.

Toto has written an open letter to the Grenfell United, the action group, basically defending Kingspan.

What else is he supposed to do? Its defend the partnership or end the sponsorship. And someone suggested earlier that they're going to be a much bigger sponsor next year.

Business doesn't care about people or their deaths. It's just good capitalism unless the publicity somehow makes it less profitable in which case it would be bad capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe they are but we all know the real bad boys were VolksWagon. Volkswagon can pretend to be as clean as they like now with ID 3s and 4s etc but I will never forgive or forget what they done. That's why I do not want them or any of there companies involved in F1 ever. The day that happens is the day I will stop watching or even caring about F1.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Why is VW so much worse than Mercedes? Weren't they up to the same craic?

Ms

Ye but VW were the worst.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

So much worse that you're opposed to VW even being in F1 while Mercedes did the same thing? Hardly such a big difference between what they did.

Was VW just the first to be caught?

Honestly anyone defending Toto's letter can **** off and tbh he's straight up lying.

Just read that small section on Wikipedia. Director of the company told people who raised concerns about fire-proofness were told to go **** themselves. They provided materials they knew weren't up to standard. Then some of the higher ups sold millions in stock before the hearings. Oh and they had an active smear campaign against other companies claiming their materials were less fireproof.

This isn't a small company swept up in something bigger. It's top-to-bottom lies, dismissal and later attempted cover-up. That they happen to be Irish should let Irish people be able to make a more informed judgement than a company we've never heard of.

I'll be completely honest, I would have thought this would be something Hamilton would put his foot down about. I guess the most we can hope for is nothing, since if he follows up Toto's nonsense with more of the same I doubt the families will want any relationship with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Not being sarcastic or anything.

But the way the world is gone, do you think VW would miss you or care less?

Ms

Yes VW were the first to be caught. That does not make it anymore right do. They never should have done what they done and if I had my way Mercedes would be kicked out of F1 for there cheating on the diesel scandal and in F1 too. Unfortunately wheather we like it or not do F1 need Mercedes now and them going would be a big loss to F1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If Mercedes honestly gave a f*** about such things, they wouldn't be racing in Saudi bloody Arabia, home of the misogynistic autocracy and extra judicial killing.

The hypocrisy makes me want to vomit.

Besides, Kingspan make a World class product, it was simply installed in Grenfell by the guy who put in the cheapest ****ing price.

Toto can **** off along with all the MB bosses who stand for this nonsense.

Interesting that Mercedes with their over a century of innovation and quality production can **** off but a company who have been shown to lie and engage in a smear campaign against rivals accusing them of doing what Kingspan were actually doing are just following orders.

If Verstappen does end up winning the title this season I hope it doesn't distract from the domination of Mercedes over the 8 years of the 1st Turbo-Hybrid era. They mentioned on Sky that up til now they've won at every track being visited by F1 in that period. A quick look and they've won 70% of the races in that time. Big drop-off since Rosberg left though which I don't think is a coincidence. Other teams getting that bit closer and Bottas just not quite being top level combining to make that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm going to have to rewatch that, I still don't know what to make of it. Can't believe they're actually level points going into the last race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Read online that if Max and Lewis both DNF then Max wins by default due to him winning more races.

Some Senna level intrigue ahead.

It would depend on the nature of the double DNF. Michael Schumachers entire 1997 campaign was null and voided after he tried to wipe out Jacques Villenuve in the final race in Jerez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Just his points total, he kept all his 1997 results. He was only punished because he failed. He successfully got away with blatantly doing it in 1994, like Senna in 1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

It amazes me that the only reason Max isn't already mathematically champion is that Mercedes have literally taken him out of multiple races this season, with Silverstone in particular being the most egregious and blatant case of dirty driving we've seen in years, while Max has done nothing more than brake late and run wide while defending his position a couple of times without making any contact, and given the place up afterwards in each instance, yet Sky F1 are still pushing conspiracy theories that Max is going to try to win the title by taking Lewis out, and people are still buying it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement