Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

It is a figure of speech. But the virus by it's very nature intrinsically just wants to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,868 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have no idea where you are getting that figure of 55 deaths from. For October we had 117,412 new cases. If that is the figure you are using then we should of had 5,870 deaths,

Comparing new cases to deaths for January 2021 and October 2021 shows a 13% increase in cases yet a 255% reduction in deaths where we do not know how many of those deaths for October were not vaccinated. How do you explain that reduction in deaths with a higher number of cases if it is not due to vaccines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Will they accept NHS PCR? Or make it so you have to pay out of your own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

I am only going off what you posted.

The claim is vaccines are 95% effective against death.

If having nearly 100% of people vaccinated in the age cohorts who die from covid is 255% less (2.5times) than previously in January 2021 when almost nobody was vaccinated then the vaccine isn't 95% effective as claimed.

255% reduction =/= 95% effectiveness in the numbers YOU gave.

95% effectiveness on Januarys numbers 1081 deaths is = to 54.05 Deaths. That is what would be expected with a 95% reduction due to vaccine effectiveness.

Even if we accounted for the 13% increase in cases that would only be = 61.07 deaths. IF the vaccine was 95% effective in October.

255% reduction means the vaccine is only 39.13% effective in the cohorts of people who will die from covid.

So either we are over counting covid deaths (very likely) or the vaccine in your example isn't 95% effective against death.

Their is also the possibility that delta is more transmissible but less deadly.

We have to look at the people who are dying of covid. of which the vast majority of them are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Do you think I posted about leaving because I thought me leaving the country would be Sticking it to the man or something? I clearly stated that I had never thought about it before but the way this country is being run has changed that. I don’t WANT to leave but if I want to live in a country that doesn’t **** all over its citizens then Sweden it is. Sweden to me has dealt with this thing much better than we have and the knee tremblers over here just can’t accept that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Micheal Martin - Said the banks weren't bailed out.

Leo - Is under investigation and was recently hanging out in a country that persecutes homosexuality

Eamon Ryan - Yeah...

Donnelly - A walking contradiction

Tony Holohan - Full of lies and assumptions, has no plan whatsoever and is seemingly trying to play a political game of power here. And I'll leave it there. We all know the score with him

Philip Nolan - Chap couldn't build a train set model. Apparently according to this guy, this was coming close to the end some weeks back?

Luke O'Neill - Loves getting his face and his guitar out there, talking all sorts of rubbish and making claims that never come to fruition.

Yet, there are people here who trust these individuals? That applaud these individuals and think they're being up front and doing a good job? Despite the fact that the people they call "nutjobs" and "conspiracy theorists" have actually been right in a lot of cases by comparison. They welcome the restrictions on Children, news brought to them by RTE and yet, they sit in on a Friday night applauding and lapping up an RTE studio full of kids, all mingling and interacting 😁

But then I realise that we live in a society that got Donald Trump into the most powerful position in the world so, it shouldn't surprise me.

There are people here, logged on and posting from the first thing in the morning until the last thing at night, arguing with the same people, backing the Government and Tony Holohan and his cronies to the hilt, no matter what and then shifting the goalposts when they've been proved wrong. Insanity!

I am not anti vax before anyone says it. I am fully vaxxed and I am not someone who thinks they're trying to resurrect Nazism or whatever. However, I am someone who can clearly see that these people some of you have faith in, haven't got a clue what they're doing and who are ruining people's mental capacity, livelihoods and culture of this country. I haven't seen a friend in nearly two years, won't leave the house...

Why?

"Because Tony says so"

Some legacy that...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

Double speak and gaslighting.

Sign of emotional abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Except the Irish health system which collapsed years ago, I don't see any health system overwhelmed at the moment in Europe.

France, UK, Germany are living their best lives with everything opened, indoor events, Christmas markets, while we are having one more winter with no big event. Their healthcare systems are more than able to handle the current covid patients numbers.

Paul Reid comes and say that this is the worse situation since the beginning of the pandemic with <600people in hospital vs. 2000 last January. Why is that ? Because the HSE stopped putting the money and pay private hospitals to take their patients. There has been 0euro invested to improve the system in 1.5years of pandemic.

It is an Irish healthcare crisis, not a pandemic issue. There were 700 people in trolleys in 2019. If we'll have restrictions until the hospitals are able to deal with covid patients, we can wait 5-10years more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Didn't Bavaria and Saxony (at least) cancel their Christmas markets a few days ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,868 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As I have already said to you you cannot dismiss the effectiveness of vaccines simply based on those who have died in October when you do not know the numbers who did so that were unvaccinated.

I have seen nothing to suggest the Delta virus is less deadly. So unless you do, then I cannot see where a 13% increase in cases with a 255% reduction in deaths (while not knowing how many of those who died were unvaccinated) is due to anything other than vaccines. From your reply it seems neither do you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Not sure where the 700 in 2019 came from, unless it is stated as a daily number during the winter season:

2019 worst year ever for hospital overcrowding - INMO (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I also think that there is some spread in schools, it would be crazy to suggest otherwise. However, NPHET have been saying for months now that schools were safe with a sudden change in direction to now saying we need to curb children's contacts.

I think a healthy debate would be a welcomed change to the current environment whereby one can't bring up any issue without being called some sort of a lunatic or crank.

The major issue I have with this government and NPHET is that they are very quick to bring in new measures but very slow to lift them again. They hid behind an abundance of caution all summer when we could have been way more open from an earlier date. That would have bought some more buy in from the general population for when the inevitable increasing of restrictions came in this winter.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Oh no that's terrible, I must stay away from vaccines in the future because of what you say, overwhelming evidence from doctors and scientists who have dedicated their lives to this stuff clearly don't know as much as you do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭prunudo

How is that supposed to work from the North.

As I said earlier, it has all the hall marks of trying to curtail Christmas spread associated with people returning for the holidays. As if we are some sort of covid free area!

"Yes to vaccines by choice for individual protection and to help ease pressure on healthcare system."

The health care system in Ireland has always been a disaster, the difference the last 2 years is that they have Corona to blame now to steer blame from their lack of investment and Fixing waste that is the HSE.

All that will happen now is that they will just keep coming out with new strains of covid to explain the high covid numbers even among the vaccinated in order to keep people getting boosters every 6 months keeping the fear going in the media and the gravy train flowing for Pharma and it's investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ah right! How did I not see this from the start?! Covid and the variants are a ruse to keep big pharma in the money.

*sighs*

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So after all the pearl clutching hasn't worked you're just sticking to the "Isn't very effective" line at this point and pointing at some vague notion that the governments want to keep us locked down forever I guess? Are you annoyed the virus doesn't do what it's told and go away in October? Care to elaborate a bit more? Omicron could f*ck up all current plans around the world in response to the virus, hopefully it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

transverse myelitis

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2667257X21000176

This patient chose to forego the second shot. There’s still a lot of unknowns about these vaccines, and there needs to be space for people to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Just one thing, you may not be allowed back in the country if you dont have a negative PCR result.

If you have had COVID though and recovered you may still test positive for COVID even a few months later, is that true?

So essentially you can be fully vaccinated, had COVID, currently not have COVID but not be allowed back in the country or is there definitive evidence on how long you may test positive after you've recovered from COVID?

We had an explosion in covid cases last Christmas. if there were pre-departure tests done in November/December then the January figures wouldn't have been as bad

Not sure why an antigen test needs to be "professionally" done though, one of the benefits of antigen tests is that they can be self administered and done at home

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

NPHET think were all thick paddys who won't do it right at home

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Transverse myelitis is a rare autoimmune disorder that has been shown to have a temporal association with vaccination in the past.

When found, the people with this condition probably shouldn't be vaccinated (depending on severity of reaction) with any vaccines, these are the unwillingly unvaccinated and the group that everyone else tries to protect by getting vaccinated themselves.

Their exposure to the diseases is also usually quite severe due to a malfunctioning immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

How exactly would you police or have any certainty over antigen tests done at home by yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Come in through the north. Anyone with sense will do that. Our clowns in governments doing things for the pure theatre of it once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What kind of behaviour would that be that's against restrictions?

yes that can happen, I have a relative who tested positive for a month after his initial positive. He was being tested in order to be moved into a nursing home, and was stuck in hospital until he tested negative.

Not sure if you've ever done one but I have and they are a little bit complicated but nothing overly taxing if you follow the instructions

• Advertisement

Well this woman was vaccinated. What’s the guidance for people with severe autoimmune disease, given that they tend to co-occur? There’s no guidance, that’s why people are distrustful.

Advertisement