Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Alcohol from EU (online)

• 29-11-2021 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi - came across this site today. The prices are really good as compared to here. The website states that its legal to buy from them as long as the buyer is in EU and they are only charging a shipping/delivery cost, no other charges.

Can we buy booze legally like this by post from within the EU (for personal comsumption off course) - I was under the impression that we can carry it with us on a trip back, but not get it posted out?

Anyone know if this is legit?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

No, in a nutshell.

It even references that in its section "Is this legal", wherein it states that excise duty is not chargeable if for personal use and "transported by himself".

If ordering for someone else to deliver, this does not qualify as transporting yourself - you must accompany the goods to get duty exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This.

People will try and maintain otherwise. Some people get upset when told that their assumptions are wrong. Many online retailers give out false information regarding this and claim to be compliant. No one has yet to provide evidence of an overseas online seller actually charging Irish VAT and duty.

Your booze is at risk of being seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Debub

Thanks - thats what I thought, but, they also have this on the website:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's their interpretation, aka, a crock of horseshlt.

But it's no wonder that consumers are confused when retailers come out with stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I have had alcohol seized when purchasing from France, and from Belgium.

This is the letter I received in regards to 2 bottles from France.

"Dear Sir,

The Revenue Commissioners wish to acknowledge receipt of your recent notice of claim, in respect of the above seizure.

There is no relief due on unaccompanied alcohol, that enters the State via the postal system or by courier, unless evidence is provided that excise duty and Irish Vat have been secured prior to the alcohol arriving into the country. 

Having reviewed your case, the Commissioners are willing, without prejudice, to release the whiskey to you on payment of duties and taxes owing.

The total amount due to Revenue is €41.10 – (Excise Duty €29.79 and VAT €11.31). Payment is by Bank Draft or Postal Order and should be made payable to the Revenue Commissioners.

If you wish to avail of this offer please send payment for €41.10 to the undersigned and I will request my colleagues in the Dublin Parcel Hub to release the whiskey.

Please quote the above seizure number and provide your PPS number when replying.

Alternatively If you are registered for ROS or My Account with Revenue, it may be possible to make the payment on either of those systems.

If you are registered for either I have attached an instruction above, detailing how to make a payment by ROS or My ACCOUNT.

If you successfully make the payment, using one of these two systems, please e-mail me the confirmation with a reference number and I will get an officer in the Dublin Parcel Hub to release the whiskey to you.

The Commissioners wish to inform you that similar leniency may not be shown where future importations of excisable products are detected."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

That's very interesting and great that you are given the option to pay the extra duties if you weren't aware you had to do so. By releasing it, does it mean it goes back out to post to you or do you have to collect it?

Once the duty was paid, it was released back to An Post for delivery.

However, as far as I know, it is at their discretion whether or not to allow you to pay the tax. They can just destroy it. As you have to supply your PPS number, if you are doing it regularly, they may not give you the option.

so the reason I posted this was that a colleague at work had ordered from them - I saw him ordering and asked him about it. His order arrived today at work, 9 bottles of whiskey and other spirits. This was his second order from them and he says that it is a bit of a dodge/loophole/workaround, but has worked for him (or he may have been lucky both times). After reading the comments here I have decided not to go ahead with my order (had my basket ready for checkout) as tempting that it was.

Thanks for the inputs

You can be lucky. I placed 2 orders with LMDW in France on the same day. One got through with no hassle, the other got stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

I've been ordering from some German sites through the pandemic and never had any issues

• Advertisement

Hi - so what happens to the payment that you have already done? thats gone isn't it if the order gets stopped... there is no refund if customs stops your shipment, is there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are there different rules for deliveries of cases of wine?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wouldn't say you have a leg to stand on for a refund. They shipped it.

Not their problem that you haven't cleared the relevant customs charges I suppose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It is absolutely their problem. When buying inside the EU there is no method for the customer to pay local taxes: that has to be done by the supplier. It's on them if they haven't done their homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I order wine regularly from a Portuguese company. I've had one order of 30 bottle seized by customs, I paid the duty and VAT and it was released, at the same time the company sent me replacement order which arrived. They also apologised and have changed their shipping method, since then I have got about 5 orders through not an issue.

this is who I order from: www.garrafeiradailha.com

the website does say the below - so in theroy can be cancelled if the order gets caught by customes I guess

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Very risky continuing to smuggle alcohol onto the country via post if you've already been caught once as Revenue are less likely to be so lenient the second time!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

what do you think is likely to happen. Sounds like you have heard of cases like this before, have you?

I am obviously talking of private individuals ordering amounts for personal use as described in this thread.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

They're likely to seize and 'destroy' if you're a repeat offender and you'll be left out of pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Prosecute for illegal importation would be the ultimate if you kept doing it.

Very likely on a second capture, it'll be destroyed rather than any offer to be let pay the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Even if their interpretation of "distance selling" is correct this negates it

For buyers: Make sure the vendor includes the excise duties of your Member State in the selling price. If the vendor does not comply with the requirements under Article 36(4)(a) of Directive 2008/118/EC you may become the person liable under Article 36(3). Also make sure that the price of transport is included in the price. If you agree to arrange the transport separately you become liable for the excise duty in “your” Member State.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

You've got to love the explanation on the "Is this legal?" page!

[quote]So you are sitting for example in a coffee shop in Germany having one of those world-class coffees they have (not!), wondering how disgusting and boring that **** is while you waste an incredible amount of time just scrolling through Facebook watching silly puppy cats. Then you have the greatest idea of the week: pouring some booze in that **** you are drinking and making something out of your day![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that is what I would expect, I know a few who have been caught and did just forfeit it as the taxes were more than it was worth to them.

have you ever heard of prosecutions like this, again for similar circumstances to what is going on in this thread, personal use and not ridiculous amounts.

I know guys who have been repeatedly caught trying to import illegal drugs and they still just get customs letters of seizures, I find it really strange as it would be well over 500 euros worth going by gardai valuations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

So has anybody taken a chance and ordered from these folks recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭sceach16

I used. Had it seized. Had to pay up. Got it released. Got warned further shipments liable to be seized. In fairness, got a refund from my booze of the addotional amount so not out of pocket.

Unless it is something exceptional, I will not be buying again from them but I still miss them!

I think the change in VAT rules last summer ( Irish vat for sales to Ireland) had a by product of highlighting imported booze. The system put in place for checking VAT found lots of heavy parcels! 😂

So MyBooze refund you the vat/duty etc?

Might be worth importing a few slabs then if that's the case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭sceach16

Yes but for how long.......they will soon be gone if they are having to pay up! Imagine if the lot was seized! Having said that, it is their business how they run the shop so presumably they will continue to ship while they are making money on Irish sales . Time will tell.

• Advertisement

Advertisement