Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greatest Football Midfield Partnership of the Last 50 years?

• 25-11-2021 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this article and was thinking about it - the lads above seem to think Jack O'Shea is nailed on.

My thought for his partner would be Fenton. But then I thought those two lads would be too similar wouldn't you need players to compliment one another?

One to do the donkey work and one to break forwards?

From a Dub supporters perspective poor auld Shane Ryan has no hope - he is not flashy enough. As was Dennis Bastick and players of that type.

Plus then when you start thinking about it more - the game/rules have changed. Today high fielders such as Mick O'Connell and Liam McHale are not needed in the game. As it is rare that a keeper would boot the ball to the middle as much as they used to. Plus the advanced mark has changed football.

Then I start to ask myself would Jack O'Shea have been as much as a star if he played today. Probably. Would Fenton have thrived as a high fielder in the kick and rush from years ago? He might have done OK but that is not his game.

I noticed there was no mention of McHale from Mayo or Bergin from Galway in the article above. The main debate seems to have been Sean Cavanagh/Fenton plus Jack O'Se.

Plus then you think of lads who played for lesser counties that never will get a mention because of the counties they played for - Paddy Keenan of Louth, Brendan Murphy of Carlow.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭thesultan

Jack O'Shea had it all. Fantastic engine. Great fielding and I'd think a better kick or shot taker than Fenton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Anthony Tohill must be in any debate

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Jack O'Shea was as close to unstoppable/unmarkable as any footballer I have seen since 1969. (The only one to come close to that was Matt Connor).

If somebody wanted to play rough, he was more than willing to answer and usually sorted the threat with the first encounter. A former youth cross country star, he had a mercedes engine. He was a mighty fielder and a superb kicker and distributor.

To accompany Jack....

Tohill is worthy of inclusion in any great midfield pairing, a great fielder, a mere engine, a brilliant kicker, tough as nails.

Sean Walsh was the quiet one on that Kerry team and was up there with he best in every department.

Darragh O'Shea is worthy of consideration.

Brian Mullins for his leadership qualities.

Brian Fenton too... he could do the nice stuff but never has had to show the hard edge that was necessary pre 2010.

Sean Cavanagh has to be considered though he played much of his football elsewhere. Not sure if he would make the cut.

Try another one...Joe Kernan.... was usually last man standing. A great-hearted footballer and leader.

McHale, Earley and others never delivered consistently and had serious faults in their game that prevented them from dominating on the big days.

Brian Stynes and Paul Bealin were a great combo in the early 90's.

Anthony Tohill and Brian McGilligan in 93 were giants

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ciaran Whelan and Darren Homan or Shane Ryan. Big strong mobile lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement