Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

• 29-11-2021 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Dublin is a dump. It really is. It kills me to say it but our national capital is an embarrassment and a total disgrace. It must be such a let down for what tourists are expecting coming here. I always encourage tourists to head to Cork and Kerry and Conemara and to stay out of Dublin. As soon as they land they should catch the first bus out of Dublin.

We have scummy, scaldy young lads with cotton sweatpants handing around on the street, smoking and littering and loitering around.

Equally scummy girls, loitering, swearing and making the place look dirty.

Filthy addicts with less teeth than a geriatric hen hanging around.

Get on the hop on, hop off bus .... sit on the upper saloon and you'll see over walls, just wrecks and waste and piles of rubbish. There is little architecture to behold in our "Fair City".

The streets are strewn with litter.

Walls are graffitied.

The Luas is a no go on certain sections as are certain sections of the streets.

There are beggars (most illegitimate) on most roads and streets.

Our main promenade (ie, O'Connell Street) is a kip, there's no way to put it. Plastic shop fronts, cheap and tacky fast food outlets, pound shops. More scum loitering around.

I have been to every EU capital and a handful of other European capitals. I can safely say Dublin is the biggest shιthole of them all. It's sad to say, but it is. Nicosia is a close contender, as is Chisinau. But Dublin is hands down the worst.

I live in a northside Suburb on the DART line and I can't say anything other than Dublin is a dump.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alz007

I cannot disagree with anything you have said there OP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I think this may be the first time this topic has been broached on Boards, bravo OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why are you living in a place you despise? Life is too short to spend the rest of your life in a place you so passionately hate. It surely would make you miserable to just choose to continue living here?

Incidentally, most friends, tourists and visitors or work colleagues abroad over on business that I have met rave about the city so they are not seeing or encountering to any same degree the city you describe and experience.

I'm a relative blow in of almost 25 years and I love the city. Its not perfect, has plenty of problems, some magnified by the pandemic but it is still a city with plenty of charm. I still haven't tired of it and still discover new gems around the place on a near monthly basis. If I hated the city as you do, I'd move.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get it all off your chest, caller.

Not your ornery onager

Maybe you should move back to Sweden, OP.

You certainly don't seem to be able to find a single thing you like about Ireland.

• Advertisement

Why are there so many sh1tty trolls of late?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Owen Keegan would not agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Dublin is great. End of story.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dubmany

OP, Dublin certainly has problems but it's not as bad as you present it and lots of people like living here. If it's so bad here then maybe you should move back to Sweden or to another EU country that you prefer.

Beats Banagher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I would have to agree with op

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Which city is really that great? I have yet to find one. Any place you shove a load of people into a small space you're going to have problems. Even if those problems arent obvious when you first arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What's the difference between Greta Thunberg and the OP ?

One is a climate activist , the other is an annoying fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Every time I read one of these threads, I can't help but think of that time I visited a Favela.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Ask for directions in most European cities and the locals will gladly help. Ask in Dublin and have your head bitten off by some wannabe hard man with no manners, looking at ya disgusted, like you caused them such an inconvenience by asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Given the preferential treatment that Dublin has gotten (and still gets) over the decades, at the expense of the other 25 counties, it does leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Don't forget how expensive it is, the traffic and the awful Dublin accent. Only time worth going to Dublin is to the airport to leave the country.

All in all, the place is an utter kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

OP, nobody is forcing you to live here, don't slag off my home as I love it as much as I love my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

That’s just not true though is it ? Dublin people by and large are very polite and willing to help. You’d have to be pretty unlucky to meet someone with the attitude you describe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Have to agree OP. Don’t know how anyone can afford to raise a family in Dublin and have a good life. I left last year just before the pandemic and will never go back to live there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Dublin lacks cultural finesse. Yeah everyone going out and getting gee eyed. But beyond that there's not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's just a reflection of the whole country, some of it's good, some of it's bad. The rest of Ireland love hating on it but everywhere in the country has the same problems just on a smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ah yes, the one homogeneous accent that is of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

... it is a bit **** though compared to a lot of EU cities.

Pub scene is amazing, some nice streets in town, there is a lot of scumbags but most people are nice but it doesn't compare with a lot of places.

Example: Krakow has a population of around 800k people. Its far, far nicer than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not a fan of it myself. But when you don't like some place, you'll only see the negatives. Tbh, I dread ever having to go there. The traffic is the worst, by and far, and if you're not completely alert and ever so slightly aggressive, you'll be bullied around the place. The public transport is shocking at best, so luckily any time I ever need to go there there's a Luas stop nearby where I'm going and I park in Cheeverstown. I'll have to echo the unhelpful Dub element, I reckon about half my interactions were with a stuck up/proud Dub who looked down on everything and everyone not Dublin. And yeah, the accents do my head in.

But, thankfully, I don't live there. I did for like, 2 months at one point but left very quickly. Country living is where it's at. Quietness, darkness, stars in the sky... bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Xander10

Dublin centre centre and O'Connell Street are dire. But head out to howth, dun laoghaire, the Dublin mountains and there are places worthy of tourist visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Most of Dublin and I mean the vast majority, is excellent.

Clean, safe, pleasant surroundings, good community activity, good air quality and lots of light.

Of course I would agree with the OP that some areas are shabby and have skobie characters knocking around and petty crime is an issue. And, that stuff does annoy me, but then I travel to some other cities and I realise how good we actually have it.

Ever been to Washington DC? Or Marseille? Or Liverpool? Ever scratched beneath the surface of Barcelona or Lisbon or Budapest or Milan?

Naples, Beijing, Mexico, Chicago, Los Angeles, Kuala Lumpur, Glasgow, Bratislava, Riga, Birmingham, Cardiff, Bangkok, Antwerp...all big working cities I've spent time in and all places I would chose to live in far less than Dublin, for all the reasons at the beginning.

Not that I think we should accept Dublin as it is, there is much to be done, as you'd expect in any growing city, but to write it off as entirely a dump, is bull.

Dublin is far from perfect, but the image being presented by the OP is distorted. There are a few rough spots, mostly around the O’Connell St area and a bit of the North Inner City, but most of the rest of the city centre is fine.

I think it’s easy to see only the negative in a place you’re familiar with and only the positive somewhere new.

• Advertisement

I have family living in Ranelagh - gorgeous place. Sandymount - beautiful. Lower Glasnevin up to Griffith Avenue - extremely pretty. Clontarf - gorgeous. Donnybrook, Milltown, Ballsbridge... yeah I agree that parts of the city centre are dodgeville, and the characters sauntering around: ditto - but to say Dublin as a whole is a dump, is just stupid.

Advertisement