Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squid Game [Netflix] [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

I wont bother talking about the show per se.

But did it take anyone else a few mentions of WON to realise it was the currency?

With the subtitles(maybe dubbing was different) it took me a few mention to realise it wasnt a phrase. "6000 Won/gained from someone" in that kind of way. Especially when the first mentions were in a gambling sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Freddo bars are currently trading at 542 WON back in my day you could get them for around 135.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭RoryMac

A few people have said he wasn't shackled to the rope like the others, I haven't gone back to check so not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

He looks shackled to me, just checked. I guess he was very confident that his superior tactic would win it. He wasn't wrong 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Officer999

Why did Gi Hung dye his hair red??

Also, the VIP that was found collapsed, did he return? Were the other VIPs not wondering what happened??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I kept forgetting the cop was looking for his brother so when it was revealed I was like " who's that guy, why is the camera focusing like I should be shocked"

The 001 thing was very obvious to me though. The skipping of his kill, the shot of the elderly host and bthe dementia seemed suspect too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah for some reason when the cop is looking through the records and finds his brother's page from 2015, the pic was in shadow in the top corner so you couldn't see his face. Then when his face was revealed after taking off the mask, it was only really obvious that it was his brother due to the circumstances (before the cop said it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

(Posting this before I go back and read other viewer's observations.)

Decided to take out a month's Netflix sub and give a few offerings a look. Didn't know if I'd like it much, especially as it's not the first 'survival-game' type story, but I ended up doing the nearest thing to binge-watching that I've ever done. Compared to viewing a couple of other interesting, raved-about-by-many and 'worthy' series from another streaming platform recently, where the over-stuffed and over-ambiguous plots just left me 'meh' from episode to episode, this had my little brain trotting along happily to the end.

(Then again, not having actually watched /paid much attention to films/series with similar plots before might have helped, in that it more 'new-to-me' (and I don't watch a whole load of TV/streaming series in general.)

Ah, I'd forgotton about the second thing you mention, but it makes sense by the final episode!

Agreed. I tried a couple of times to let the music play out through the final credits (of the last episode) but bloody Netflix just whipped the screen out to small window and then closed that as it insisted on showing me uts other wares! 🙄

Post edited by nomdeboardie on

• Advertisement

I was wondering why Seong Gi-hun didn't just

finish the game off by proceeding to the head, thus winning without knives and other madness, when he temporarily disabled his opponent by throwing sand in his eyes

- assume I've misunderstood something

Post edited by nomdeboardie on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There are a few things not explained. Why did the detectives brother stay, if he won and got the money also why not just pay his rent or tell the brother he was travelling? He was also only missing a month?

Why show the old man getting shot instead of it happening off screen and hearing the shot if they are going to say it didn’t happen.

Just looked back at the latter scene now...

We see the gun pointed at the old man's head, then hear a gunshot as Gi-Hun walks away and the wall/screen obscures the guard and presumed victim, then guard comes partially in to view again, but nothing more. So the guard could have used a blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I'm a bit late to the party, I was very impressed but the loose threads bothered me

(1) Did the detectives messages end up getting sent ? That storyline just dissapeared.

(2) On the glass bridge, why didn't the contestants just run along the box rails or at least grab them as they fell

I won't gripe too much, the gut wrench of Episode 6 (marbles episode) was heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really enjoyed this but I struggle to understand the worldwide acclaim and it being heralded as some sort of masterpiece that stands among the TV greats. Let alone being the best thing Netflix have ever made, I can think of a ton of shows that are better off-hand, like Midnight Mass, Haunting of Hill House, Godless, The Queen's Gambit, etc.

Like - it's definitely entertaining and well made, the actors are good and it's fairly unique in a general sense, but that's about it for me.

Outside of the actual games themselves, which are handled pretty well, didn't find the characters particuarly compelling, dialogue was weak, plot resolution was incredibly uninspired. Just an average decent quirky show.

Kinda funny how Alice in Borderlands came out shortly before Squid Games with a very similar premise and is of similar quality and barely a whisper about it.

Overall yeah I liked it but I'd say it's a 6.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My 'hack' for that game was to sit at the edge of the safe glass on row one and test the next one by applying pressure/tapping it with your legs. Gap was definitely short enough.

Either that or hoping your nimble enough to run across the entire bridge, hopping from one to the next by spending a split second on each tile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wouldn't have made for a very good episode though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just finished it last night and really enjoyed it. As with all these things there are a few minor holes in the plot. The one scene that didn't ring true for me was

Gi-hun's anguish at the death of Sae-byeok. Unless I'd missed something, they'd hardly interacted prior to that, and he hadn't batted an eyelid at the death of Abdul who he had formed something of a bond with.

Also I feel stupid for not realising that,

in a show so obviously indebted to The Prisoner, I should have been asking "Who is Number 001?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

They may not have allowed that as part of the rules, and might've shot anyone who tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The detective story line is definitely going to play out in season 2. If you don't have a shot of someone's face dead then they ain't dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They changed the rules when anyone broke the game so no reason to think they wouldn't have with this example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very late to the party but up to episode 5 and kinda gripped. The characters are all painted with broad strokes but that only makes them distinct, impactful IMO. Matches the tone of the games themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Up to episode 5! Yeah, definitely that's.. that's episode 5 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Why didn't contestants just walk slowly along the two middle support bars of the bridge?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The premise of this meant I was always waiting for the moment the comfortable status quo everyone had established would be whipped away. Damn, episode 6. There it goes. Easily the saddest episode, for that reason, as reality dawned for some.

This is why it's so important to write interesting, engaging characters; so that when the axe falls you feel the cost that bit more. 456 has been interesting as a lead, being such a loser deadbeat in reality, but a pillar of decency in the Game. Nobody came out a hero regardless - while at least one returned a qualified, unrepentant shíthead (someone more dishonest than the gang leader).

I know hype can sometimes be the worst thing for expectations, but I'm loving this. Well deserving of its status.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

MrBeast recreated the whole game

Wrapped this last night and hot damn, what a show. The last little shoe drop didn't quite work for me, but gotta applaud for an overall gripping ride. Great characters and sense of escalation, while never either wallowing or grotesque for its own sake (sometimes these battle royale ideas are more interested in violence than anything else).

Not quite sure what I'd want to see from a season 2; there are many ways it can be done "wrong", especially if they just do the same again, just bigger.

• Advertisement

A season 2 will be difficult as the story is done. A season 2 could end up like Prison Break or 12 Reasons seasons 2 which were just made to cash in on the success of season 1 but were completely forgettable and unnecessary. A season 2 of this would need to be of the quality and imagination of a standalone series which I cannot see happening.

Advertisement