Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice re small rust hole in wing

• 29-11-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There was some bubbles in the wing's paintwork so I removed it and attacked it with a drill/wirebrush on both sides and applied rust converter (both sides) and sprayed the inside with underseal. It's not as bad as it looks in the pic below as I have yet to sand the rut convertor and I applied it to clean metal next to the paint, just to seal it up until I get to it next.

However, I have the hole to fix, it's about 15mm by 5mm. What is my best option without welding?

I was thinking filler. However, since there is nothing behind the hole, I'm not sure how it would hold. I was thinking to tap the metal around the hole to basically make a dent/dish for the filler to fill. Good/bad idea?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you just want to patch it, you could use fibreglass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Get some chemical metal in an autofactors if it's just to fill a small hole.

It's just like putty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sorry I meant its just like putty when your applying it but turns really hard when it reacts with air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I've never used fibreglass before, would I apply it to the inside of the wing? How would I ensure the outside is smooth? Would it grip well onto the steel, which was coated with rust converter?

Thanks, I actually have some of that at home, maybe even that brand. I foorget what I used it for. Will it stick well to the inside of the wing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

for a hole that size I think you could use filler. Tape a bit of cardboard or something behind it and put a thin coat of filler across a large part of what we see in black there. It will dry hard over the hole. If it was much bigger you could use fiberglass. Again put something behind the whole and when it dries sand it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭jmreire

You are looking at the tip of the iceberg ( sorry to say ) If that was my car, I'd be taking an angle grinder with heavy duty sand paper disc ( 40 grit minimum) and clean all round the hole, until I get clean bright metal. Then, I'd access what is the best course of action to take. If you want to do only a cosmetic kind of job, then pack the hole with fibreglass or Quicksteel ( as already suggested ) when it hardens, a coat of fillers, when its dry, shape it , prime it and paint it, using the "rattlecan" method. Job done.

Hi, thanks for the replies, job is done since December. Indeed, as I did more prep the hole grew in size, so I wire brushed again (first time was using a cheap cordless drill, so I went at it again with a mains drill). In addition to the hole there was lots of rust, but no holes, on the inside, so I treated everything with rust converter.

So given the hole got bigger I decided to go the fiberglass route, was having a look round at Halfords and came across this:

It's aluminium mesh and resin. I put masking tape on the outside and did the job, when it hardened I just had a little sanding to do on the outside. I then sprayed the inside of the wing with under seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yeah, that will do fine. Short of cutting out a big chunk of metal until you meet perfect metal, that's a good comprise.

Advertisement