Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,101 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

29:45 @ 10k and keep going. 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

The winner of the junior men's race went on to do well.

Bashir Abdi won Rotterdam in a new European record 2.03.36

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It says something when a world record is set and nobody bothers to post anything!

Jacob Kiplimo runs 57:31 in Lisbon to break Kibiwott Kandie's record by one second.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Peeling1979

I don’t think there’s another thread out there for yesterday Nationals or the selections for upcoming European XC, which are published today. Some fantastic racing on a wonderful day out in Santry yesterday with good conditions for runners. DTC double with Michelle Finn going out strongly in front half way through not to be caught. Healy second and Flanagan third, not seen by most but Mageean went down in a tumble at the Crown Plaza side of the course which may have ultimately lad to her being further out of contention than she may have been otherwise. Tonosa in a duel with McElhinney to 200m to go but he’d a ferocious kick to win it. DSD had a fine senior men’s performance. Nick Griggs won the U20 race with remarkable ease for a 16/17 year old he is the real deal. Dean Casey did run exceptionally well and the men’s junior team is probably best placed to perform well at the upcoming Euros. I’m unsure who might feature in the selections for the non-automatic places in any of the categories, I.e. those based abroad who did not run but eagerly await the team announcement today and the upcoming Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

I was wondering what happened Mageean, she's not having a great year is she. How many get selected for each category? Fionnuala McCormack surely in contention - nice piece here

Very nice piece, another in the Examiner last week said she’s running Valencia Marathon the week before the Euros, I do hope she’s picked and runs on the 12th.

She took a right tumble clipped from behind I’ve no doubt it would’ve made the difference in being 12+ seconds further up that would’ve put her top 6 but sure that’s XC and that’s what the selectors have to weigh up today with the discretionary selections, it is not an easy job, if she’s picked someone else will lose out.

Top 3 picked plus 3 non-automatic and two reserves as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yep, I went along yesterday, was a great afternoon watching some seriously talented runners! The speed of the frontrunners makes the back end look so slow, and yet they are not at all. I hadn't realised Mageean fell, interesting. I was wrecked myself trying to run to different spots to see them 🤣

When ya see the times for the winners on grass it’s shows…

Running around like a gobshite is part of the fun 🥴🙂! Super day all round.

• Advertisement

I was so jealous but also appreciative of your story updates V 😀 HerSport did a good job too in fairness. It was nice to see a piece of the action.

Teams announced, no real surprises, can only assume Tobin has been injured of late.

Sean is only back running 5/6 weeks after an injury, unfortunately he's not race fit yet, and made himself unavailable for selection

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A sentence I never thought I'd type.. Elaine Thompson was in Carlow today!

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2021/1126/1263390-elaine-thompson-herah-carlow/

Shelby Houlihan has launched a GoFundMe page to fund her fight for 'justice'. She's asking for $300,000 (!) if any of ye have it handy. This is in spite of the fact that CAS ruled her defence "presupposes a cascade of factual and scientific improbabilities, which means that its composite probability is (very) close to zero", quite the brass neck on her 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Klosterhalfen entered in the women's event also. Is cross country any good from a spectators perspective? Like I (perhaps incorrectly) think it's one of those events that's probably better to watch on TV, but maybe I'm all wrong.

It will be a shame if the travel restrictions impact the field.

it’s the whole getting to see them in the flesh and cheer on Ireland thing that’ll have people attending. Also, anything to get out of the house too in my case. Normally no big screens at XC venues but given there’ll be a camera following the races perhaps there will be. Looking forward to it anyway.

Get what you mean, I'd definitely go if I was Dublin based. Unfortunately I'm over three hours away by car, so don't think it's worth that kind of a journey.

• Advertisement

I've attended a few xc races, 2 x world cross and euro cross in Dublin. World xc in Belfast was absolutely brilliant event to be at, great atmosphere, up close to the athletes, and you could sence they were feeding off it. Euro xc much the same,

World xc in Leopardstown was a damp squib from a spectators pov. Everyone in the stand area, and it allowed out in the course anywhere near the athletes.

All that said I'll certainly be going next week.

Also have more than a 2 hr commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

It's funny that for all the running and races I've done over the years, I've never went to a race as a spectator, so really looking forward to this!! This might sound like a silly question, but would most people move between different sections of the course as the race progresses to follow the guys at the front, or would it be better to just stay in one position? I'd be ok for a brisk walk from one point to another, but the knee is a bit dodgy at the minute so I wouldn't be up for anything to0 strenuous!

Yeah, it was difficult in Santry because most parts of the course were fairly far apart, but at the Euros there’s points (more of a figure of 8 than a loop) where it’s about 150m/200m between two points which is ok if ya walk/scuttle across quickly. All part of the fun. I hope there’s a big screen or two so you can see them on the course at one point and then watch it on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

Inside that short loop, close to the finish straight looks like the optimal spot.

Maps and timetables here.. https://european-athletics.com/competitions/spar-european-cross-country-championships

Waterford AC’s Barry Keane has set an new Irish indoor record at the Boston University Sharon Colyear-Danville Season Opener.

Keane produced the fastest 5k of his life to clock a stunning 13:25:96, which ranks as Ireland's fastest ever by an Irishman. The performance made all the more impressive with Keane coming into the race off his recent NCAA cross country division 1 final appearance.

The time goes to top of the Irish all-time list, taking over from Alistair Cragg’s 13:28.93 record which had stood since March 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,101 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Fionnuala McCormack ran 2:23:58 for 5th in Valencia.

And 2nd fastest Irish woman ever after Catherina. Fantastic to see. Paris isn't that far away.

It will be interesting to see how she recovers this week for the XC Euros. I see RTE are televising them, great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Keane Story already posted but here's the race. Don't see much of him. Apart from the pace it was a dull enough race.

FOUR 5K National Records In ONE Race - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

Listening to marathon talk this morning and I'm fairly sure they said Fionnuala wasn't in the fast shoes, can't remember exact wording. I know a couple of years ago she was against them but thought she might have to give in to be competitive.

Does anyone know what shoes she was in?

• Advertisement

In this picture it looks like she is wearing New Balance Fuelcell RC Elite v2??

Advertisement