Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small Electric SUV

• 28-11-2021 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for advice for someone in the market for an electric small SUV/Crossover. They bought a Toyota CHR Hybrid in 2020 but have been fortunate to have a cash windfall and want to go full EV. Looking for similar size but that’s easy to get in and out of which is really important.

My immediate thought was a VW ID4 but it’s a bit too big. In terms of budget the ID4 would be top end

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Miscreant

How about the MG ZS? About the same size as the Toyota and can be got for about the 30k mark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Ioniq 5?

ID3

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Just bought a second hand Kona for the exact purpose you are talking about. It replaced an old Qashqai which was too big and wanted to go full electric. Got a decent deal as well but took a bit of digging around and ended up buying over the phone and only seen the car on collection. But was buying from main dealer so had warranty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭denismc

Hyundai Kona should suit your needs, small with good range although the spec can be a bit spartan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

E-Niro if you need the extra boot space

ID.4 City when it becomes available again, if long journeys aren't a big concern

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ID3 is too low down, great car but not suitable in this case. Whats the story with the ID4 city?

Will look at the Kona also.

Any thoughts on the Eniro?

Expensive and like hen teeth to pick up. Also bigger than Kona and would be fairly similar in size to the ID4 I would expect.

Citroen e-C4: Big, Comfortable and well-equiped in a small footprint with increased range for 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ignore the kona, Irish cars were sold with paddy spec and UK cars cannot be fully changed to KM.

Best value for money is the eniro/esoul in that segment.

I don't disagree but the eNiro is very hard to find and very expensive. The eSoul is just a bad looking car

The Kona I got had a decent spec, yes it is not spectacular but it ticks a lot of boxes.

Looks like the ID4 City is one to consider. Any idea hen it’s back?

MG appear to have a very limited dealer network which puts me off a bit

With electric cars the failure rate is low and from a service point of view fairly small but might be needed from a warranty point of view. The MG dealers are coming online very quickly from what I have seen

Please note I bought the Kona just for pure range. It was not a purchase for the interior quality etc. I looked online at the MG and preferred the look of it but the battery was small so the Kona won

Interior of the Kona really lets it down, pity really. More so that they didn’t fix it on the refresh

Its based on a combustion car which I think starts at about 20k. It's the same interior so you get what you pay for I suppose

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If you can get over the look of the eSoul, its v good value.

Have a eNiro ourselves. Really happy with it, have about 45k km done on it so far, and only 18 months old.

It is excellent value but getting over the looks will be a stumbling block for most, hence why it is such good value. I suppose if people had the early Leaf moving to a eSoul is not a huge difference :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭fits

I absolutely love the e soul. The interior is the nicest of anything in that segment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The interior is great, well specced, and you don't have to look at the garish outside !

Went to look at an Enyaq 60kw today. Very impressed but its a full SUV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

Opel Mokka, Citroen e-C4 and Ds3 Etense (all pretty much the same car underneath, just take your pick on styling) - although slightly smaller than CHR.

Also I love my BMW i3 - if they are into cars with spirit, very easy to get into (front) due to suicide door set up, bit more quirky getting in back. One of the best 'off the line' drives out there.

Jaguar i Pace if windfall was big

How about the Peugeot e2008?

Same car again underneath as Mokka, DS3 etense, e-C4. So take your pic on styling and price. Just remember they are all slightly smaller inside than a CHR.

Kia Soul is a good size, but its down to your take on the styling

Mazda also have a lovely new EV - the MX30. Supposed to be lovely to drive (haven't been in one yet) but pricey especially given its relatively low range

Haven’t seen it in reality but based in photos I think it’s a bit too funky,

if there was such a think as an ID3 plus that’s a bit raised up that would be perfect

Thats the ID4 :-)

I think they will have a full range which will include a compact SUV but no idea when it will come out

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Single motor XC40? Not cheap but a lot more affordable than the twin motor that has been on sale. Look great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

With a 1 to 2 yr old car I would stick with what they have unless they hate it. In 2 to 4 years time car prices should have dropped and the range and affordability of EVs increased. Lots of good Chinese EVs on the horizon.

Advertisement