Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying house near cemetery?

• 29-11-2021 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, did anyone bought house near cemetery?

I have a seen a property named Kilbelin abbey which is few blocks away from st conleths cemetery at newbridge. The house front or backyard doesn't face directly next to the cemetery. But there is way next to cemetery which takes us to property.

There are few developments near this cemetery like belin woods and Red abbey.

Would you recommend buying a house and how will this impact when I resale the house?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Post edited by Red Albey on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Didn't you start this thread earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Red Albey

Someone recommended to post here in this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

I heard people are dying to buy around there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Its the living you need to worry about. The dead won't cause any trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Deregos.

"I have a seen a property named Kilbelin abbey which is few blocks away from st conleths cemetery at newbridge."

I know that place . . it's right in the dead centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Advantages - no extra development on the cemetery itself.

Disadvantages - none.

I don't understand why anyone would have any issues living near a cemetery. There are hundreds, if not thousands in the country.

Ridiculous question imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Comer1

"Ridiculous question imo."

Clearly, you've never seen Poltergeist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I know someone who built looking over a cemetery, house is front facing the ocean but the cemetery can be clearly seen from side/back of the house . Didn't bother him .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't see any potential downsides. Some people may be squeamish about living near a cemetery- but its not normally an issue. The only potential issue is periodically (monthly mind masses, funerals etc) you may have abnormal traffic and parking issues- but its only for an hour or two here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Advantages - no extra development on the cemetery itself.

I wouldn't say that's always the case. If you have an old cemetery that hasn't been used in a century, it might be rezoned for development if you're unlucky.

Not the case here though. The cemetery even has a new wing for fresh graves. Safe to say it's going nowhere in any of our grandchildrens' lifetimes.

Benefit of a graveyard is that you've got a nice, quiet, self-contained place to go for a walk or a run that's not far from home. Zig-zag up and down the rows and you'll cover a lot of ground.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

You say that the house isn't really near the cemetery, if I'm reading this correctly. I'm not sure what exactly you are asking. What are your concerns about it? Genuine question.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me, in the slightest, to live near a cemetery. As pp said, there might be occasional, slightly busier traffic in the area, for funerals, maybe, but that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

Quiet neighbours - what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The cemetery might be rezoned for development???

As bad as the housing crisis gets they are not going to rezone a cemetery to allow someone to build on it.

Only potential disadvantage might be funeral traffic and parking, if cemetery has decent carpark isn't much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Red Albey

The estate name is Kilbelin abbey, newbridge. There are new houses yet to build and they are behind the cemetery.

I've read and seen videos about buying a property near cemetery is not recommended as it doesn't provide market value. Is that true in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Yeah you're all brave now behind your keyboards, but when the zombie apocalypse starts you'll be laughing out of the other side of your faces.

And if you think it will never happen all i'll say is it has started.

Pandemic, zombie minks in Holland. Who would have thought any of that would happen a few years ago. hey? who? hey? I thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Looking at issues such as the grave yard violence in Tuam today, It would make you want to check out if there were travellers graves there. And before anyone says it how many attacks have we seen over the years in grave yards and where they come from. Longford was always a hot bed for this activity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Complete and utter rubbish.

Google anything whatsoever and you will have doom merchants.

If you that concerned, buy elsewhere as there are plenty that will buy the house you are looking at .

Frankly, this is the first time I have heard anyone query being near a cemetery - and I'm no spring chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

At least you won't have loud neighbours having house parties anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

I'd happily live in this house...........

https://www.themodernhouse.com/past-sales/swains-lane/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You obviously haven't had to put up with midnight renditions of the Monster Mash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We're in a little cul de sac of 20 houses which has a cemetery at the end. It's about 80m (7 house widths) from our house but there's a 3m high tree lined fence separating us from "them" so you wouldn't have a clue without having seen an overhead image. It's super quiet. Never gave it a second thought tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sometimes people go in there at night to bury a stiff...

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

No. I have never heard of proximity to a graveyard negatively impacting property values.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

A friend of mine bought overlooking a cemetery. He heard his toddler numerours times having conversations on the baby monitor when the child was in his room alone. Asked the child who he was talking to and he said the little boy outside . The window in the room looked directly into the graveyard.

Post edited by Car99 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Here's a tip. Like the tooth fairy and leprechauns, ghosties don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 24,776 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t do it, could be digging a hole for yourself....

We have family buried in balgriffin and it can be chaos there at weekends, I’ve seen traffic parked partially blocking access to inisfails Gaa club and one of the houses too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Tork

A cemetery wouldn't bother me at all. I have a loved one who's buried in a cemetery near me and there's a nice vibe to the place - in as much as you can say a cemetery has a nice vibe. There are always people coming and going, either to visit graves or to maintain the place.

There are two things that'd put me off, and they might not apply to where you're looking. The first is that some cemeteries attract an anti-social element. Do the living go drinking/drugging/burying some stiffs in this cemetery? The other is traffic, though again it all depends on the layout of the area. If you can, visit the area in the evening when the weather's not too **** and see do the hooded tracksuit wearers go there? The other is to take a look at RIP.ie and check when the next burial in this cemetery takes place. Watch out for where the cars get parked and if there's a possibility that you could be impacted by it.

Post edited by Tork on

Advertisement