Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hellbound (Netflix)

• 23-11-2021 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭

Quick search didn't return anything on this show.

Blurb below

Unearthly beings deliver bloody condemnations, sending individuals to hell and giving rise to a religious group founded on the idea of divine justice.

I am flying through it up to episode 5.

It's not what I expected but all the better for it, prefer it to squid games or Alice in borderland, more ambitious and original.

Same director as Train to Busan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Just finished it this evening. Couldn't believe only 6 Eposides! Had I known that I might have spaced it out a bit. Good stuff I thought, the premise had me interested and hooked from the first scene of the first Eposide.

Pretty tough going at times with the old violence too and I wouldn't consider myself too faint hearted either!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just finished episode 3. Interesting so far so will see it to the end. Hard to see where it is going

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that episode 3 ending felt like the last 2 films in the Korean Vengeance trilogy Oldboy and Lady Vengeance

I stopped watching about halfway through the first ep. There's good Korean stuff and bad Korean stuff. This is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Finished it last night. Very good show overall

Sets up season 2 very nicely, there are a lot of unanswered questions and it is scathing of things like organised religion, Cults, reasonable belief vs fanatical belief, religion in politics, the ties between militia and authoritarian regimes, the nature of free will and the concept of sin, punishment, reward etc

What I find really interesting is the question of what would happen if there was unambiguous proof that there are supernatural forces in the world, but those forces do not adequately explain their motives or intent.

The power vacuum that fills a void that gets quickly corrupted by self serving or egomaniacal authoritarians and their dogmatic followers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Just finished the season. The ultimate Eps. 6 delivered.

I was entertained but it's dark and heavy throughout.

It explores how culture and ideologies permeate society.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't think half an episode is enough to really make a judgement on an entire series, but hey it is up to you, it seems the majority think it is good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just finished the season too. Was not expecting that to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Just finished it myself. I thought it was very good. Hard going at times, some parts are silly, but overall it was very enjoyable and shows how social structures can be broken down, and new ones created, what drives it, and the different roles that people play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Damn! Straight to business with this show! 5 minute in and I was like.. STAPH DEMONS!!! HE'S ALREADY DEAD!! STAPH!! 😲

Also, seems to be very internet-ey aware. I laughed so much when TeenTok TV came on! 😁

As for the story..

Seems like it's a proper fantasy job.. but they are leaving it open for Doubt at this stage.

I'm half guessing this cop is gonna end up trying to get that dude who murdered his wife taken to hell.

Next episode.. seems to be lined up to be

The Demonstration! (TM) episode where it all becomes something the world takes seriously.. maybe they give some details on the eventual Plan (TM)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was a decent enough show but where Squid game had universal appeal this seemed very Korean orientated, lots of filler and stupid dialogue, not terrible, CGI was really good. A tighter script would have made it a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The female Deacon actress, Kim Mi-Soo, has sadly passed away aged 29.

2: 😲

AH FOR F*CK SAKE! ... yeah yeah... well played on the cliffhanger

I did have a proper moment of 😱 though when they put yer man in the incinerator and he reacted. I'd thought the had him completely out cold with whatever was in the chemicals/rag they used.

Earlier I was like.. come on dude.. you should at least know who the daughter is out with.. then later when she burned this dude to death I was like... see! see!!

Later in the police station I was like.. ah now he's a bit of time to think.. maybe he'll sort out finding out what's going on with the daughter.. but then a brick came through the window and well.. things are moving pretty fast in this show

3: I.. eh.. ok

So.. they're just randomly attacking then and it looks like no ones out to stop em.. Alright then.

The one frustrating part of this episode was during the attack at the start how he was the only cop to take a shot.

Some of them not shooting.. ok.. but all of em.. ehhhh.. not so sure on that one

4: What the.. hell 🙂!?!? It had been a while since I watched the last episode so I had to double check I didn't miss something from episode 3 but no.. I think this one is supposed to feel a bit split off.

So.. it looks like they are settling into these creatures being real and how the world deals with them.

The water death has kinda settled that for me. It seems a bit much for someone to be faking those. Although the actor in the water.. the acting was a bit dodge. The monsters in the scene were fine.

I'm guessing this is pushing big into the plot to discover that the deaths are unrelated to what the new truth organisation is saying.

5: Woah! 😲 That turned into one of the more intense and dark episodes! One scene definitely reminded me of the ole Marvel Netflix Corridor Scenes.

The one where the lawyer had to escape the arrowhead, that was pretty cool!

Definitely felt a bit mad at the wife bringing the baby to the new truth.

Definitely don't want to see the baby going through what's been shown for everyone else!

Finished! Overall.. like a bit awkward feel around this series because it started well and ended well.

but the disconnection around the half way point and the kind of not well signposted time jump and change of characters.. that was not handled well I think.

6: Well now. That was well done!

Definitely had a big feels moment as both parents saved the baby like that.

Then the very end with the return! That looked and felt a bit like how terminators arrive back from the future.

For the future.. well I can sure see a possible season two..

and it could go any sort of way.. maybe the people who return have powers or know something or it could be like the 4400 or something.. who knows!

Advertisement