Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it good idea to buy Expensive house next door to social house ? and Is it difficult to resell it?

• 27-11-2021 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am planning to buy a 3 bed house in Celbridge , Co Kildare. It costs 420K euros.

This house is end of Terrace. After reserving the house I came to know that my next door house is social house. Ex. My house no is 15 (End of Terrace) and House no 16 (Mid terrace) is Social house. No 15 is only house available in the estate for last many weeks. The reason I could think of , for these houses to be available is the social house attached to these houses, as near Dublin it is very unusual to have new house unsold for that long. Now I have 2 questions.

1) Is it good idea to buy Expensive house next door to social house ?

2) Is it difficult to resell the house in future which is next door to Social House ?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Best Answers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Your neighbor could be a gem or total bellend regardless. Its a risk you take regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

its a lot of money but if spending a little more meant avoiding being next door to a house owned by the council ,I personally would choose elsewhere

it will never be seen as a plus if reselling if thats how you wish to look at these things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭billyhead

As alluded too you could have great neighbours in Social Houses and complete scumbags. Same with private houses. You get them in all walks of life. I live beside social tenants and their grand. They don't cause any hassle and keep to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

when I'll buy next time I'd be looking more into the location of the house. sold my house now, and can share that one of the houses on my street was a social house; the family living there kept their house clean, kids were behaved / helpfull, really had not bothered us once. who bothered us was someone renting from a private landlord -there was nothing we could do there.

while we had no issues with the family living in the social house, tbh did scare half of my buyers. now depends what is your most likely scenario: if you think there is a chance you might sell in few years, could be wise to wait rather than buy this one. but if this looks like a house for long term to you, as you like the area, as long as those neighbours are fine, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wouldnt buy it. Its an almost half a million euro gamble.

There is a 90% chance they will be lovely.

Will you gamble that 10% that they are not and that their house is ill maintained and looks like a war zone from the outside?

Because if it does then you will not easily sell it, and certainly wont be selling it for full market price.

We looked at a house years ago and it looked lovely from the brochure. When we got to the house next door had a bunch of evil looking scumbags sitting out in the front garden laughing and saying "Oi, I wouldnt buy that house if I were you. That house is falling down" as we were walking in. We had made our mind up there and then that we werent going to pay money to live next door to that, so just had a look around it and left. The house was lovely inside and had a landscaped garden, but next door was like something you would see in a tenement.

But if the people are already living there and you dont notice its a council house as you walk into the one you are looking at, then they are probably fine.

If you are buying blind, you are rolling the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why though. You can't tarnish all Social Housing neighbours under the one brush. Private neighbours can be just as bad. If you were selling the house and the garden wasn't a kip or the house deshevelled from the outside how would you know if it's private or social housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I wouldn't be inclined to invest 420k in this situation.

The element of the unknown with the social housing neighbour would put me off. Many things in life are about probability. Sure they could be a lovely family, but the liklihood of being landed with a problematic neighbour is increased compared to the open market. That would be enough to put me off. By an large people who pay for their properties take care of them.

Anti-social behaviour and other problematic behaviours are on average higher in the social housing class than in the general population, thats why I wouldn't buy this house.

When I was buying a few short years ago we looked at a bungalow not far from Celbridge. An old grannys place would of needed renovation but thats what we were looking for. The estate across the way looked 'councily' but a drive through it put some fears to rest. It was old council. Lots of bungalows now fitted with access ramps for the elderly inhabitants.

However, we had a friend in the Estate Agents office - so the EA we were with that day tipped us off that the house next door had been recently been bought by the council and a family had moved in who could possibly prove troublesome. No caravans or anything on show but still good to know. Again, they could of been fine - but that would of been a 400k bet I was making and good luck to me trying to sell the place down the line.

Answers

Advertisement