Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KONA FL Electric Premium 64 or MG ZS EV Exclusive

• 27-11-2021 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

OH is seriously thinking of going electric, likes both the above; is there anything one model has that makes it obviously better than the other?

We're based in DL, so lack of a Dealer within 200ish km is a bit of an issue, but is there anything else ppl think she should be aware of?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭podge3

Longer range on the Kona (assuming it's the 64kwh you are thinking of). More space in the rear of the MG.

Biggest concern would be residual value of the MG. While I think they are good cars, they have a mountain to climb in terms of appeal to the general public.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Second hand Kona all day if it suits your needs (beware the tiny boot). Buying a Kona new is throwing money away, and there are better options around that price point IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I've a friend making a similar choice but it's the ZS vs. Soul.

Any suggestions on alternatives? I've looked and can't see anything comparable at the same price point. ID3 is probably closest, but a directly comparable version is more or less the same price. Questionable interior build quality, glitchy firmware and almost no dash buttons put me off the VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭innrain

Peugeot e2008

Citroen eC4

Soon Renault Megane

• Advertisement

All french, wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. Just my opinion, of course, but based on having owned several french cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

The 2022 Facelift of the MG ZS is introducing a 70KWH Battery which brings range over 400km.

Whilst it may not be hugely appealing ono 2nd hand market, its cheap enough that if yoo drove it into the ground over the course of 12 years or it wouold only have cost 2,5k per year in terms of depreciation, which is good.

Peugeot is as French as MG is British. There is still Opel with the Corsa and Mokka which I think are good options for OP.

Both Opels are good cars but a much reduced range over the MG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tony H

have a Kona since first of September and have notched up over 10,000 km , brilliant car , have a few annoyances including no front parking sensors but love a lot of the extras inc heated seats and steering wheel , the fact that you can have it defrosted and warm and ready to drive on a cold morning is brilliant ,

noticed a big drop in range with the colder weather , we were getting at least 450 if we were careful now its down to 350 but not the weather to travel to far this time of year , we live in Cobh and have travelled to Donegal , Belfast , Mayo , Cavan on one day trips with charging stops mainly in J14 , great investment .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

MG looks like a great deal. All the updates in the facelift bring it up to the level of many of the 40k+ cars.

The used EV market is a bit different, they tend to hold the value a bit better.

But buy the one you think looks nicer. It's a new car so make sure it looks nice and fancy.

For me the Kona just looks cheap and plastic inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I am of a similar viewpoint, but the EVs from the French brands seem to have escaped the stereotypical reliability issues.

It may be partly down to the fact that there's vastly fewer moving parts in the power train, so you'd need to be some eejit to screw it up

Haven't heard of many Zoe's or Twizy's giving up yet, and even most of the electric Fluences seem to be still going strong

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The ZS had some pretty quirky software as I recall, infotainment took longer to respond than just looking up the place in a road atlas. Maybe they've fixed it in newer versions

I would say that living in Donegal, you'd want as much battery as possible so you can make it through the charging wasteland that is Northern Ireland to reach the chargers in the Republic. So Kona probably wins in this respect until longer range MG comes out

Another option is the ID.3 Tour, similar size, big battery and faster charging if you can make it to a high powered charger. It probably costs more than the Kona (I'm not up to date with prices) but it might be the better long term investment

In my unfortunate dealings with Renault, I actually found the mechanicals OK, all of my issues were electrical😀.

Again, its just my opinion, although I know many more people who share the same view of French cars. That being said, I also know many people who swear by them, my neighbor has a Megane with almost 250,000 trouble-free kms.

Still wouldn't touch a French EV, didn't even consider any of them when hunting for a new EV recently.

I drove my Kona 55k km. Is the first gen so no app no connectivity, although I thinkered something myself with an old phone and an ODB2 dongle. It's a very efficient car. Beats all the cars available in 35-45 k price range by a good margin. The GOM still expects to get 415km at 90% at this time. For a single person going to work it is fine. Family car bit hard. A bit noisy some would say too noisy. MG on paper is a very good proposition although from the two I would still choose Kona but SH to level the price.

Yeah certainly my wife's previous car was not a good advertisement for Citroen, reckon the car cost as much in breakdowns as it did to buy

I've also heard with Renault's in particular that if you get a good one it's basically unkillable. I know one dude who spent 2 years trying to drive one into the ground and it just kept going 😂

I'll admit I was fairly skeptical about the French EVs, but I guess since they're part of groups of brands who codevelop platforms they seem to have improved things a bit

Advertisement