Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motor tax question

Options
  • 24-11-2021 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭

I see a neighbour driving a VW Passat 2.0 TDI

Motor tax disc shows EUR 200 until 06/22

2012 model, and it seems a cheap way to drive.

Just wondering if this is accurate, because I want this sort of motor.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why do you think OP it's not accurate?

That's the average rate of motor tax for your typical run of the mill family car these days and has been for a good few years. All you need now is the price of the car itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Because he is a gangster. It surprises me the tax is so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

holy shiiit he's driving a cheap car.must be an amateur gangsta

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid with 416bhp is only €170 a year, that's how to properly play the motor tax game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gangsters drive 10 year old Passats?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

I would say you can thank the Green Party for that.

They were the ones that sold the idea that "diesel was environmentally friendly" than petrol cars since it produced less carbon. Hence 80%+ cars from that period were all diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You can look up tax rates here.

Much safer than nosing around gangster's cars 🙂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Or you can thank all the car companies that lied about their emissions? The diesel issues weren't unique to Ireland or to the Green Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

Well it was the Green Party that brought forth the idea (if I recall correctly) to tax based on CO2 rather than the size of the engine, as was the case previously.

Petrol cars produced more CO2 than diesel, while diesel cars just produced other more harmful gasses like NOx. So yes car companies did lie about the level of NOx etc. being released, it would have made very little difference to how much you paid tax on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

I have a 2012 avensis diesel 2l same rate 200 for the year,thats why i couldnt find a petrol when i was buying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's actually a myth that the Green Party were responsible for the change. Not only were they not in Government when it was first announced, but they had never been in Government before up until that point. It would be like blaming SF for something the current government announced tomorrow.

The change to basing Motor Tax on emissions was actually announced in Budget 2007, which was delivered in 2006.

Here's the quote from Finance Minister Brian Cowan's (FF) speech at the time: (https://assets.gov.ie/194593/082b8141-377f-4d02-94e6-54b38f74c614.pdf)

At the same time, my colleague, the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government will consult on his proposals for a complementary rebalancing of annual motor tax. This would provide a further incentive through the motor tax system for the motoring public to drive cleaner cars and would impose some additional cost in respect of cars with higher carbon dioxide emission levels. This would apply to vehicles registered on or after 1 January 2008. Underpinning both of these initiatives will be a new mandatory labelling system for cars based on CO2 emission levels. Linking consumption taxes to environmental goals requires us to discuss the details of such moves thoroughly with stakeholders if we want to get it right. 

The government at the time was made up of Fianna Fail, the Progressive Democrats and 5 independents. The Minister for the Environment mentioned above was Martin Cullen form Fianna Fail. The Green Party were in opposition, and did not contribute to the budget. As mentioned, they had not ever been in Government at all up until this point.

Here's an interesting article from October 2007. By this time the GP were in Government with FF and the PDs, but the Motor Tax reforms were delayed and were not due to be implemented in January 2008 as promised. In the article, Fine Gael's Phil Hogan is lambasting the Government at the time, especially The Green Party, for not introducing the changes.

"One would have assumed that the entry of the Green Party into Government would have expedited the introduction of this environmental reform but instead I find that the measure has been pushed off until the middle of next year."

He continued: "If the Greens have as much influence as they claim, it has to be asked how this important environmental measure has been allowed to slip onto the back burner. Actions speak louder than words."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/motor-tax-reform-to-be-delayed-1.813158

The truth is that all political parties in the Dail at the time supported the change to emissions based motor tax, not just the GP, and the GP were minority partners in Government when it was finally implemented, but it was FF and the PDs that actually introduced the idea.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

Forget saving the environment.Its all about tax tax tax revenue revenue revenue.Next is a tax on battery sizes,etc

Actually under the 2008 CO2 rates the motor tax on some 2 litre diesels came down from €710 to €156 which was a big factor in enticing people to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Any examples of a diesel car with €156 tax? Particularly a 2008 one?

2010 Avensis

It was only for a couple of years, they went up twice when austerity came in, first €225 then €280 where they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

People were buying city cars with diesel engines rather than petrol to save circa €40 a year in motor tax despite them doing about 5k miles a year in conditions completely unsuited to a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

The 156 euro was the rate at the time, which as elperello has said has gone up since .

Afaik A 08 1.4 diesel corolla was originally taxed at 105 euro and is now 200 after increases.

Interestingly A few years on a 186bhp bmw 520ed and 168bhp audi a4 ultra also fall into this category

Advertisement