Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naas General Hospital Primetime Investigates Dr Aamir Zuberi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Jesus Christ

I wonder did the staff that saw the suspect behaviour, did nothing, then decided to discuss it a year later leave the country too?

edit . a google search on him gets, "Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe. Learn more". I wonder what links he applied to be removed before this current scandal

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2021/1122/1262519-sexual-abuse-complaints-naas-general-hospital/

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this article, you can contact Dignity4Patients, whose helpline will be open from 07:00 to 23:30 on Tuesday at 086 165 4111. Its helpline is normally open from 09:30 to 17:00 between Monday and Thursday. You can also contact the Rape Crisis Network on 1800 778 888.

It won’t end with Naas either

Dr Aamir Zuberi also worked for several years at another leading Irish hospital prior to taking up employment in Naas.

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2021/1122/1262519-sexual-abuse-complaints-naas-general-hospital/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Yeah, the question (apart from perpetrator who is a psychopath) is why leave the questioning. I know I’m my heart and my soul I would have questioned earlier… maybe not quite early enough. I tend to be the sort who gets myself very unliked at times as I do not stand for any kind of abuse, be it directly intended or consequential to a condition such as mental illness or alcoholism etc, be it to others or myself. It’s the only way to respect both yourself and others at same time.

Maybe a younger nurse or cater etc just hadn’t got time or experience to come to this type of thinking and collective think-sense has ab awful lot to do with with any individual does not have the the courage to put the hand up.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,813 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the courage to put the hand up

Somewhat unfortunate phraseology there

Life ain't always empty.

Oh good god. ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Has the added effect of giving people more reason to mistrust of the medical community at a time like this.

Sick fucker, I hope to God he wasn't unsupervised around minors under anaesthesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I know there is a tendency to want to 'send them back where they came from' if possible, and this guy is already back where he came from, but money spent extraditing, trying and convicting, and incarcerating this guy would be money well spent in my opinion.

That said, perhaps passing on the info to the Pakistani police might result in a rather more swift and decisive punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wouldn't bank on it ,the Pakistan legal system is worse than a lot of places , corrupted and favours those who are well off ,

In these cases I'd be happy to see the army ranger wing tasked with returning him here , but in saying that if he was brought back by legal means he could declare himself an asylum seeker and were stuck with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'd be surprised if Ireland even has an extradition treaty with Pakistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How did the guards know to contact the victim? I mean were there witnesses, video, or did the perpetrator admit to it somehow?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Suggestions something was "witnessed" which does beg some serious questions over why it's only now coming to light. If anyone has tried to cover anything up here there needs to be a major investigation. It also begs the question of what else may be going on elsewhere. There is clearly a trust between patients and medical practitioners, but that requires full investigation into alleged wrongdoings

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Holy F*ck !

Witnesses ?? wtf was going on ??

I wouldn't bank on it ,the Pakistan legal system is worse than a lot of places , corrupted and favours those who are well off ,

Have a little look into how their international airline pilots get "licensed", scary stuff. Basically it's "show me the money".

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Whilst the story sickens me I'm equally as sickend by the fact nurses witnessed this and did nothing. It leaves serious questions unanswered as in are these people still "caring" for patients to this day?

Plenty of questions all right but will there ever be answers?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I meant to watch this but missed it. As bad as it sounds, there may have been worse abuse going on in other HSE facilities. We're not talking about ancient history here either. What will happen to the staff who knew about this and did nothing about it?

"At least 18 intellectually disabled residents of a Health Service Executive-run centre in Co Donegal were subjected “to sustained sexual abuse” during a 13-year period with the full knowledge of staff and management, an unpublished investigation has found.

The report documented more than 108 incidents of “devastating” abuse perpetrated on mainly non-verbal adults by another resident, given the pseudonym “Brandon” in the report"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Evidently you never heard of Jimmy Savile or Dr Shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It really makes me question the culture in Irish hospitals. I want to move back to Ireland with my wife in a few years, she works in surgery, if this happened here, in the us, there would be no hesitation in reporting on a senior but somehow in Ireland things still get swept under the carpet. I don't want her working in such an environment to satisfy my desire to come home. At best it doesn't exactly sound collaborative. Is it an Irish thing? We still just defer to authority?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil seems to be the hse motto. Anybody who covered this up should be struck off. An unconscious patient is at their most vulnerable and if you are not prepared to help them then you shouldn't be working in a hospital. The system here is a shambles lessons are never learned and way too many blind eyes are turned. Heads should roll. How was this guy allowed to continue working in other hospitals? It is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

The entire system is a shambling wreck at this point.

We're operating on a system of exchange in ireland. We train our own doctors and nurses at huge expense, and then a large cohort of them are plucked off to other countries. Then, to fill the void, we have to import doctors and nurses, quite literally people who will work for less, often from places of questionable certification.

You get what you deserve in such a globalised system of farce. That is, a small nation like us loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

I don't think people understand how not worth your career it is to 'challenge the behaviour' of a doctor or consultant if you're a nurse.

Here's a prime example of that from my mum's best friend who was a nurse. The Pakistani consultant she was working with wrote a prescription for a LETHAL dosage of medication on the charts of a child in his care. As a nurse with many years’ experience and someone that took no guff from doctors, she questioned the dosage (the foreign nurses on the ward BTW had this utterly subservient and deferential attitude to doctors, so they wanted to comply with the order and 'not bother him'), so she wrang him. He refused to change the prescription and balled her out about questioning him and speaking to him in an 'argumentative manner'. She then rang the on-call consultant who flipped when he heard what dosage had been prescribed and told her that under no circumstances should a dose like that be administered to a child.

What was the net outcome of this near fatal incompetence on the part of the consultant?

A general letter was sent to the staff on the ward about how to 'appropriately and respectfully' communicate with consultants in a professional manner that was absolutely directed at her. She took early retirement that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

🙄

The vast majority of Non Irish Healthcare workers here are very professional, very caring, decent, good at their jobs and well qualified to do the work.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Quite telling on a story about a doctor sexual abusing patients, that's the post that gets a response from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

This is a very strange story. So the only evidence available is witness testimony? And the victims were informed that they had been sexually assaulted even though this could not be proven (yet?). This is exactly the angle that causes nothing but panic.

Typical reactions on thread we well…making sure very patient at the hospital a potential witness, calling the accused a psychopath etc etc.

What about calming down and waiting for an official statement to be issued, now that the hospital and gardai need to respond?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

I think we're low on rangers with the requisite complexion needed to fade into the Pakistan background.

And as Ive garnered from other threads on here there is never ever any context where changing ones skin tone to appear as another race is ever acceptable. Ever.

So the Pakistan security forces would see those big Irish heads a mile off, unfortunately.

Advertisement