Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky News being added to Saorview

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Isn't the cost to 2rn the same regardless of the number of broadcasters. But the charge to the broadcasters will drop slightly as they share the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I got the email about this news on my phone this evening. I was completely stunned & delighted when I read it there and then. But then I wondered why would Sky do this for viewers here in the Republic of Ireland. I would imagine one reason why this move being done by Sky is because of the separate broadcast licensing issues coming from Brexit.

If this issue surrounding Brexit is true; I would think this news might be the beginning of a trend from other UK broadcasters to come onto Saorview in the near future. If this was the likelihood following this announcement from Sky, given the limited spectrum offered on Saorview at the moment, how many more channels would you think would be able to go on the platform in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

When Sky News was in its infancy , RTE1 actually relayed Sky News for a few hours during the daytime for one summer (1989? or 1990?) . This was described as being of benefit to tourists etc, outside multichannel areas (with just RTE1 and 2) during that summer.

I think the ad breaks were cut out on the relays and replaced with a caption (not RTE's own ads).

Post edited by Antenna on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It will make no difference unless they have a news desk here... are they just putting the current channel on saorview....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The IT were reporting today that Sky News will be broadcast in high res SD on Saorview from this Tuesday. I suppose that resolution would be a little bit better than what you have with VM's channels on Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

"high res SD" compared to VMs no res definition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Maybe they'll go with 704x576 (or 720) instead of 544x576? Hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Luker

A very surprising move, all be it a welcome move. I already have sky news FTA but delighted to see additions to the saorview platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Will this be the first time ever, that a non Irish channel will be broadcasting on Irish terrestrial TV ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yes.

Though RTE One carried a two hour Sky News block (including two back half hours of NBC’s Today) in the very early 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

And TnaG, as it was then, used to carry some programming from UK shopping channel QVC at the end of the day's schedule.

When it was time for the simulcast, the QVC presenters welcomed viewers in Ireland joining them on "Tinnajee" ;-)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭mike2084

I didn't see this coming to be honest - I wonder if this will mean more Irish content from Sky News or unless it's purely a Brexit related move.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

There was article on Irish Times last week mentioned they would create a new kids linear channel.

They may combine it with TG4+1 (like RTE Jr & RTE2 +1) and launch on Saorview at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Does anybody with saorview not have a dish too for the English channels? A positive move but not ground breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Probably not for their main TV, but I do know of some people who have a TV in the kitchen or bedroom that just has Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

My TV is showing the channel 23 ID as Sky News. The EPG also just shows Sky News but extra info says launching 30th Nov. Literally as I type this they now have the Sky News logo on screen.

A quick rescan on the Zgemma shows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know a few older people who just have Saorview but I don't know if there are many more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I can see a test card now on 23 from Three Rock but the EPG calls it Sky News. Saorview Information ('Faisneis Saorview') has moved from 23 to 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭JDxtra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

I can't figure out why they'd go on it now, not back in 2012 when linear TV was relevant, saorview was shiny and new and having sky news on it would have been a great selling point at the time when comparing it to the outgoing analogue service. Now with fibre broadband and 5G rolling out all over rural Ireland, anything new on saorview will seem a bit meh really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Just did a manual scan and have it on the Saorview EPG on the TV and combo.

Think Sky News will be a good hit for Saorview as most people with Saorview on TV have the Saorview channels as a separate EPG or only a terrestrial epg on their TV, also on the Saorview Combo, Sky news will be with the terrestrial channels way ahead of the satellite one's, well done Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't know why they didn't go with Saorview in 2011 maybe the chance wasn't offered.

Also Sky was under different ownership and management then and maybe that was a factor.

I know it's only a test card yet, but anything different in picture quality ? Irish Times reported that it would be in high resolution standard definition, whatever that is !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

It must be the Irish version. There's no real sense in a commercial operator paying to be included on Saorview and not running any advertising.

Sounds like it will be bog standard blurry vision standard definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Checked the spec briefly, and it seems NorDig does support 576p - really only used in Australia in the early days of DTT there as "ED" rather than HD - if someone did want to go for "high resolution standard definition"

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks. Such a shame. I can't understand why standard definition isn't being done away with in this day and age and high definition becoming the norm. Its the modern day equivalent of broadcasters opting for black and white instead of colour.

Advertisement