Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf clothing websites

• 18-11-2021 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I am wondering what sites people use for purchasing golf clothing, accessories or clubs?

Been out of the game for a number of years and looking to return but don't fancy spending crazy money on clothes from Halpenny or McGuirks.

What are the hidden gems out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Golfer365

I know a lot of people using www.druids.com. Some good deals going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I was in decathlon recently for the first time (beside ikea) and they have a whole golf section which would allow you to kit yourself out fairly cheaply. The gear looked fine to me, however it's all branded with some decathlon generic brand name and not mainstream (like nike/ping). You could also hit the hiking area too if your going through as hikey type gear often crosses over with golf gear. I wouldn't travel the country to go there though only if you are already nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Have bought stuff from them before, its very poor quality from my experience.

https://www.duckhook.shop/ is an irish brand, very reasonable and I find the clothes to be really good quality.

apart from that https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/ is the best of the online shops, really good deals to be had on the recognizable brands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Minus 1 for Druids here. It's cheap because the quality is really sub-standard. I've unsubbed from emails/texts and ended up getting more down the line - a pain in the hole. Every 2nd week they have a "special" sale deal, which is nonsense and poor marketing/USP imo.

Definitely giving a +1 for Duck Hook. Have a few bits from them now and am very happy with the quality. Shipping is generally fast too. Other opinions are clubhouse, sportsdirect, Zalando (discount clothes appear regularly) and amazon but none are Irish based if that's a factor. Dwyer's trousers are very good quality too, I've picked a few pairs in sales and I'm a big fan.

Decathlon is arguably the best value of all, you can get literally buy everything inc clubs and balls too. Their inesis distance balls are the pound for pound best value on the market full stop @ .50c a pop. Quality has always been excellent from decathlon at a very competitive price.

For premium balls, Seed is an Irish company and what they produce are 100% as good as ProV1/TP5 etc at a massive discount (if you use and pause the subscription for best deal).

My only advice is to fill your boots now before stocks go low. There's a risk that it could be some time after xmas when retailers actually get stock back in due to well documented global supply chain issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Agree about druids but my experience so far of Duck Hook is that the quality is also poor. After a few washes my polo and particularly jumper material feels awful, that's just the nature of cheaply made polyester clothing. They even contradict themselves in this jumper description saying it's a cotton blend but the materials description(and the actual label) says 95% Poly 5% spandex.

Ultimately you get what you pay for imo, I have Nike, Under Armour and Mizuno gear that is still good after many wears and washes. If you can find big name brands like this at discounted prices that's the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

This is a very good site for golf clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

As with any UK (or non-eu) purchase these days. Be very careful to check that the retailer is charging you correctly in terms of VAT and labelling their packages correctly.

• Some have registered as an EU/Irish company and you pay the full price including the EU/Irish VAT in the total price. No surprises when the delivery comes.
    • Plenty are not registered as EU/Irish companies and as a result, you should never be paying local UK/non-eu VAT. Irish VAT and customs charges are then due to be collected by the shipping agent prior to delivery in Ireland (An Post/DPD etc).
    • Thousands of mislabeled packages are being stopped and returned by an post every single day. The reason given is "missing information for automatic customs processing". An Post blames the retailers for not having the correct price, description and customs tariff code amongst other things.

Probably only two ways to check: by talking directly to the retailer to ask about delivery issues and reading recent online reviews (the likes of trustpilot even). It's a tough Christmas for buying stuff online from the UK when we wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought previously. An opportunity for Irish retailers to step up for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I like to buy Irish where possible. I bought a couple of things from duckhook and liked them - found them very good quality. I'll probably pick up a pair of trousers from them now too.

Ended up going to decathlon and the clothes weren’t that greatly priced considering the other brand names you can get on the websites listed above. Think I’ll go for the 99£ package from Druids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Earlier this year I used Addresspal to get a shipment delivered. Not sure if this is still an option.

Definitely still is an option but you'll be taking a hit on everything since the changes in July.

UK vat, Irish vat of 23% (+ duty if over €150). € 3.50 handling fee for processing the charges. Then finally the addresspal delivery cost itself.

Essentially the UK 2nd market is all but unavailable (eBay and others) as everything has extra charges now and priced out of reach. And you hope that the items have the correct info on the label or get sent back. I think the only exception on ebay would be for the global shipping system which should be compliant in collecting all charges up front and using appropriate labelling. However not all sellers are using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I generally go direct ontothe adidas or Nike app. It's hard to beat their quality and prices are reasonable and regularly codes for 35% off the addidas gear.

Then regatta and craghoppers worth a look also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

+1 for regatta and craghoppers, especially trousers are light and kinda windproof.

I try to support local pro shops as much as I can, in any of the local clubs. Many are selling off summer gear now at great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

On the topic of deals, anyone got a good deal on practice balls, want to get a big bag for chipping etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The Adidas BF sale is now on and you can get an extra 15% off the BF sale price with the first code here:

https://discountcode.independent.ie/adidas

Picked up a few bits and bobs earlier with it, you tend to have to get in quick if you're looking for the more popular sizings.

Ended up ordering earlier this week from this website and then again today as there were some great deals on the black Friday sale.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

How did you get around the shipping to Ireland bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I see druids golf have there biggest ever sale on, which has everything priced the same as before except for a few items. They are the DFS of Golf clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 GymTanLaundry

The Druids gear is okay in my opinion, not as nice as the more established brands but, the spamming this week in terms of texts and emails has been unreal, never seen anything like it. Wouldn't be rushing to them but the "sale" prices in line with regular pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

What about Sports Direct? Some of the Golf gear looks solid enough to me. Pretty good brands aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Like the op I've been out of the game for a long number of years. Wife started playing during the summer so I've been dragged back to it also!

Ordered the Ambassador pack from Druids Golf last Saturday and it arrived yesterday.

Am happy with it, everything fits well and looks nice.

Advertisement