Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dealership straight swap

• 07-10-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

This could be a long shot. I've a Ford focus 1l petrol, 171, only 7k km. I bought it a few months ago on lombard finance, about 14k outstanding. My previous car was a cmax, before that an octaves. I'm slowly realising that my fat a55 isn't that comfy in the focus. I'm a big lad with a bad knee (rugby injury). The car is good as new bar the number plate. Full not, titanium model with auto gearbox. Dya think I'd have any chance of literally going to a garage and asking to swap to a higher mileage mondeo/octavia esque 171. I've no idea how to even approach it. The dealership I bought the car from doesn't really have anything I like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You've two chances, I'd say - slim and none.

Dealers will generally only even consider a straight swap for something incredibly rare/in demand that they know they'll sell on a) at a profit and b) pretty much immediately. I really can't see anyone agreeing to it for a Ford Focus, sorry.

Be prepared to take a bath on this if you really want to get rid of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Cheers for the response. That was my fear. I know my uncle swapped a 181 focus for a 161 kuga. I'm guessing that's the kinda sacrifice I'd have to make

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Even if both cars had the same market value a dealer would still want money from you as they are in the business of making money. They would also need to cover the cost of sticking a warranty on the newer car. If you can sell your current car privately then buy the Mondeo/Octavia with no trade-in then that's probably the best way to do it and the minimum financial cost to you.

The finance is the killer really. I wouldn't buy a car with with 14k finance on it

If the value of the Focus is greater than the finance amount then the proceeds of the sale would be paid to the finance company to clear the loan and the remaining goes to yourself. However you would have to be up front with a buyer and they would have to be ok to proceed that way.

• Advertisement

Yeah I wouldnt trust somebody to do that If I was in a buyers position. Sign of the times I suppose

Sure look it Ill stick with it, its a fine car. Maybe the kick in the hole I need to lose a bitta weight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goochy

with the shortage of use cars around , if your car is in demand surely some dealer would take it ?

they charge you retail on their car and give you trade price for your car - so they make money on the car they are selling and make money on your trade in by marking it up to retail ?

you lose out so you get inferior car worth less than your trade in ?

The issue isn't with a dealer not taking their car, the issue is that the OP wants to swap for a bigger car of the same year without having to part with any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Like for like value, no way. Maybe they'd do a swap for something on their forecourt they are retailing for 2 to 3k less than they will retail your focus for, locking in a profit for themselves in the process. Or maybe something they are just struggling to sell...but then again you probably wouldn't want anything that nobody else does either.

Personally, I wouldn't be too bothered about going down in years to a bigger car if it meant I was in something that suited me better....a 2017 focus is worth probably same ball park as a 2015/16 mondeo or similar in the class

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goochy

why does the car have to be 2017 would an older similar mileage car not do ?

• Advertisement

Doesn't necessarily have to be 2017. Im leaning on the fact my car has 7k km on the clock, barely broken in. Was hoping itd carry a bit of demand. But ive given up on it for now. Will hang on to what I have. Thanks for the responses folks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

That little mileage would be a worry for many, has the car been serviced?

yep every year with trust ford. Previously Owned by an old man whop used it literally for a shop run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

ask the dealer you bought it from. They may have knowledge of something coming in and may have someone looking for what you have. No harm asking.

I did it back in 2014. Got a saloon, realised I needed an estate. The net extra I paid after 4 months use was €1500. (estate was 2k extra, I paid 3.5k to change) The dealer (Conlons) had someone looking for something similar to what I was driving and they had the estate in stock.

Finance was not an issue either as I was keeping the same amount financed. I think it was a €100 fee and it was also lombard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

Your car would be in high demand by basically any dealer in the country, where as Mondeo's have lost their popularity so I would think its very possible you could do a swap - i.e. on the basis that your car might be worth a couple of grand more than a 2016/17 high mileage Mondeo. As another poster said the best place to start would be the dealer that sold it to you- even if they don't have anything advertised they might have a suitable car coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe think of looking at other marques like Renault Megane or Scenic or even the newer Dacia Sandero Stepway but maybe that would be too small for you. Renault do good seats.

You might get a good trade in. Worth looking.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

I would think any half clever dealer would work a deal for you. You would be getting the trade value for your car against the retail of theirs, so they would have their margin in the car you buy, and then they will mark up your Focus aswell.

Talk to your dealer, I did it earlier this year and the dealer had no issue with it. In fact, it wasn't a straight swap, they gave me €300

Advertisement