Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine seizure - Dublin Port

• 24-11-2021 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

BIG cocaine seizure in Dublin Port tonight. I wonder can it top the €750 million found off the Cork coast in 2008?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

No news outlet reporting this yet?

Cocaine makes all the headlines as the moral panic drug but I'd reckon weed makes them more money these days. 15, 20 years ago your average stoner was weekly buying a 25 Q of hash, packing their joints light, making it last. These days it's an addiction out of control for so many who smoke it, costs a fortune, relatively low cost to produce etc. Few if anybody managing to get through 150 plus of soapbar 20 years ago the way so many kids would with weed today. Addictive, mind altering poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Conor Lally is reporting it on twitter. More to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Good. Hopefully a few more finds over the next while.

Hold on.. are you talking about Weed or Cocaine? Cause Weed isn't addictive.. no more than milk is addictive. The tobacco that Irish smokers tended to mix into the weed was what caused any kind of real addictions.. with the associations being made with weed..

Also your logic seems off... 15 20 years ago the average smoker packed it (light) to last because it was so difficult to get a hold of (regular supply being very unreliable), with cannabis/Diesel being the majority of the smoke market. If it's as common as you suggest now, why would it be so expensive? More supply usually results in a dropping of price due to increased competition, from that increased supply (in any case, weed is still relatively the same price in the Midlands as it was 20 years ago, just some slight inflation).

Weed has it's downsides, mostly related to paranoia, and memory loss... but it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

Now, cocaine on the other hand ruins lives. That's pure poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

A small bit naive to say weed isn't addictive.

Many people get addicted to it. You might try and isolate that to mean "weed on its own" isn't addictive, but that's not really a real world example. Plus although many more don't get technically addicted, they do have problems with its use (even if it's not an actual addiction).

I think they are both pretty terrible drugs in terms of harm. Those two plus alcohol really suck tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d make cocaine extinct before weed... never been into either but the sheer number of people who turn into cûntish smartarse aggressive dweebs after a few lines of coke... never seen people like that after a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Everyone loves cocaine. It's not going away ever. Legalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bags of coke are miniscule in comparison, isnt pungent, easy to sell (too easy)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No White Christmas for lots, I hope

Dublin nightlife is ruined by the amount of cokeheads around.

• Advertisement

Cocaine is vile. As strumms said, it destroys peoples' personalities, prolonged use will turn anyone bad. Then there's the crime along the way.. this isn't 'ooh that's a bit naughty' level crime.. it is people being fecking beheaded level crime. Then there is the mixing with other products and the risk to health. Coke is shite. More seizures please (no pun intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

Nonsense, of course weed is "addictive", just because most that try it won't become addicted doesn't take away from that fact.

Just like not everyone becomes an alcoholic does not negate from the fact alcohol is addictive.

A guy who shared a house with me in Dublin during my student years was addicted to the stuff (my opinion of course) over the course of 2 years I witnessed first hand how the initial nightly habit became after a one after work, followed later by another that night, which increasingly progressed over the year to having a few during the day, while neglecting his full-time job to the point of dropping out, choosing instead to fill his day in a haze of smoke in his room playing video games.

Last I heard, the guy had returned home to live with his widowed mother in rural Carlow, and had spent some time in hospital due to increasing bouts of paranoia and psychosis.

I'm no party pooper, far be it for me to get in any individuals choice to partake in any recreational activities legal or otherwise, but suggesting a scientifically proven substance isn't addictive is factually inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

a few people will be murdered, and production will continue..... nothing to see here!

I smoked weed for 6-8 years in heavy amounts, and I was able to stop immediately once I wanted to. Minor cravings, but nothing that couldn't be ignored. Whereas I started smoking tobacco when I was 14, and I'm still smoking tobacco now 30 years later, in spite of serious attempts to stop. There's a difference between a physical addiction to something, and a mental addiction.

Weed on it's own (no tobacco), or pure joints are the most common way I've seen people make them abroad, so yeah, it's a real world example. I love the hedging in your post. You say it's naive to say that weed isn't addictive, and then, repeatedly in your own post, say it's not addictive, but it is. sortof. Kinda. In a vague way...They don't get technically addicted. Yup.

I'm no party pooper, far be it for me to get in any individuals choice to partake in any recreational activities legal or otherwise, but suggesting a scientifically proven substance isn't addictive is factually inaccurate

Yes... Weed is a "scientifically proven substance". And... as with km, the post is more hedging. As I said, it's as addictive as milk. Some people may become addicted to it, just as some people might become addicted to milk, but the majority do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

This is bang on the money

People aren't addicted to weed, it's the tobacco they mix it with that they're addicted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The value is something around €10m. A rounding error for those involved and won't be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Anyone who uses it has blood on their hands make no mistake about it. Pure scumbags.

I regretted replying once I seen who I was replying to.. but I had already written it so here we go..

Let me clarify, so there is no hedging :)

There are problems for many people with weed. To say they are addicted, not necessarily for all people in this category. On its own, many people say weed is not addictive (but of course it is and many people are addicted to it - Your sample size of one here didn't cover this). And when you step back a bit and consider why people use weed (or other substances for that matter) the concept of addiction becomes quite complex - something you of course allude to with your mental vs physical stuff.

So to be absolutely clear - weed is addictive its silly to say otherwise and on top of that for many people they have problems with it even if they themselves are not addictive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Gardai said the €5 million Euro seizure will damage the pockets of the criminals this Christmas. The two million euro of cocaine will be destroyed by an incinerator in order to take it off the streets.

A spokesman for An Garda Siochana said they are pleased with the 500k seizure but it's a mere splash in the ocean of the illegal drugs being brought into the state on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Arsenic and cyanide are types of poison, cocaine is NOT, otherwise Elton John, Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton would all be dead, they took lots of it decades ago and they're still alive, well into their old age. If u check dictionary.com you won't see the word poison or poisonous in its definition. U may be entitled to ur opinion, as wrong as it is, but not your own facts.

Anything is poison if you take enough of it. Paracetamol, aspirin etc.

Anyone who supports the war on drugs has even more blood on their hands. It was attitudes like that which thought the Magdalene Laundries were a good idea, just a different type of fun that's being condemned.

The definition of poison is anything which destroys/impairs life. The drugs you mentioned don't if taken in moderation, just like cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Allinall

You don't have to socialize with them. How come so many people paid good money to listen to coke-users like Macca, Jagger, Elton John etc. How many people have paid to see u perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If Ireland legalised all drugs tomorrow, do ya think the cartels and organised criminals who control the production of it on the ground would turn around and tell the people they control "ah here lads, we give up now. Ye can all go off and join the unions and participate in the free market economy".

The only people legalising it would make any difference to are the low-level people selling it on the streets and the users. Even then it would only be in terms of law enforcement. Their current bosses would still be their bosses.

Years ago, if a single lady wanted to have a different type of fun with her body (sexual intercourse) she was condemned and punished by the brainwashed society of the time. Thankfully that has changed, now it's drug use that's condemned. Do u understand?

• Advertisement

Everything is potentially addictive, depending on the individual involved.

Weed is only addictive due to the pleasure associated with it, and can be easily given up. How often do you hear of weed users stealing to maintain that habit? It doesn't happen, unless they're also using other drugs in addition to weed.

LOL. You're right, Cocaine is not a poison, in the literal sense.

Advertisement