Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reccomend me some golf shoes!

Options
  • 24-11-2021 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Requirements - must be waterproof (the walking through long wet rushes to find a ball type!), trainer style, and ideally not fully white to avoid cleaning every second!

Black Friday deals would be good!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Ecco golf shoes are great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Go and try the shoes on in person if at all possible. Sizing can be off and it's important to know the comfort levels. I know the I use (Hyperflex Boa) are half a size bigger than my usual size. You're going to walk 10k plus in the shoes and you don't want to be looking at blisters or discomfort.

The Hyerpflex Boa is outstanding IMO. Flexes and feels comfy like a trainer but it has spikes and loads of grip. The waterproofing is excellent too. They are close to a trainer look that you're interested in. The Grey model probably ticks the box and you won't need to worry about mud or stains.

I'd suspect it's very hard to have a durable waterproof trainer with a good grip. Most of the trainer style shoes (IMO) are lacking a bit in terms of waterproofing and durability. I have a pair of Puma fasten8 spikeless which are super comfy and look great. They supposedly have 1 year of waterproofing guarantee but in reality, it's closer to water-resistant than truly waterproof. Absolutely 100% for summer use and dewy/misty conditions but definitely no good in winter or proper rain.

If at all possible don't skimp. I ended up by three pairs of inferior shoes before lumping on the Hyperflex (Got a deal for €160 at the time). Never spent as much on shoes, trainers or football boots in the past. However, I've never got that level of quality in footwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

Sketchers are very comfy. They seem to be a size smaller than my usual size for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

i've a pair of sketchers with spikes for softer ground and nike spikeless for the summer. Had both now for a couple of years and really like them. The nike were on the cheaper end and got them for around €50 in a sale. You might get some end of line deals in store that mightn't be advertised online

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

Definitely don't buy footjoy superlites, as good as they are for grip and comfort. They're summer shoes. Lad in the shop will say they aren't. Feet do be soaking after a round now. Gone back to me old ones till my Ali express supposedly waterproofs arrive 🤭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Ecco goretex

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

They'd wanna feed and water u round for that price🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Agree with this - Sketchers are super comfy! But size wise I find them the same as my normal shoes/runners...depending on the brand I'm a 9.5/10 for all footwear and my Sketchers for golf are a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Actually I just remembered about a mate that swears by spraying waterproof solution/layer on his trainers. I can't recommend it as I've never done it but he's adamant that it's a great way of protecting them. It might be an option for you OP but I wouldn't be counting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

I'll never buy footjoy again. Tried many types now and they are always leaking within 6 months.

Have skechers now and they have been going well. Just started letting water in but have been using them for over 18 months now. A bit of gorilla glue along the side will hopefully give me another while 🤔

Have just ordered the druids shoes now on sale

Anyone know if they are any good? Worth a punt as they should be delivered and all for less than €40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I've had success every time with footjoys so won't buy anything else now. Always comfortable, never let water in and last ages.

It's funny with footwear how particular it is to the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Recently bought a pair of footjoy traditions. As comfortable as the "runner"type shoes I normally buy. They're keeping me dry and are easy to clean even though they are predominantly white. Currently 116 euro in mcguirks and I highly recommend them ( although I logged in this morning to buy a second pair for next summer and my size wasn't available ☹️).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I bought a pair of shoes from them a couple of months ago. Not that exact pair but similar enough.

They seemed like good quality and were very nice but, a word of warning; when I tried them on they were very tight fitting. There would've been no way I could walk in them without bursting out the sides. I never wore them and I ended up selling them a couple of days later on Adverts.

I ended up buying a pair of waterproof Puma from McGuirks at a decent price. At least I could try those ones on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I've had several pairs of Skechers over last few years and found them great for comfort and lasting. However, I bought Skechers Torque recently and they split and cracked badly after only a couple of months of moderate use. I returned them and was told several pairs had same issues. So I guess not all models are good/bad for any manufacturer.

I changed for Puma which I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Thanks. I had read they can be a bit tight fitting so went for the 10.5 instead of my usual 10. Fingers crossed 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

Do them ecco three fit to the usual size or are they tight fitting?

That seems like such a good price I might get a pair myself.

From what i see from reviews, they fit to size but they have a removable sole which can give you an extra half size

Free returns anyways if they dont fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have had 2 pairs of ecco shoes. Would say they are a slightly small fit, but nothing crazy.

Pretty sure they do half sizes, so probably lean towards a half size up

• Advertisement

Just ordered a pair there in my normal size 9.

Hopefully they fit just fine.

Thanks for the link. Delighted with what I've gotten for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

I have a pair of Footjoys that I bought about 6 years ago. They were thrown in a press in the house for the last 2 years and looked in bits. Crushed under a box, bent out of shape and covered in mud. I was going to throw them out but I said I’d chance cleaning them up and wearing them once to see if they still functioned properly.

I’ve worn them for the last 3 months straight. An incredibly comfortable and durable pair of shoes. They are like wearing slippers and haven’t let me down in terms of leaking water. Unfortunately they discontinued the model I have but I’ll try get in to try a few pairs on in McGuirks in the next few weeks. I’d recommend Footjoy and at the end of the day, it’s personal choice too so go with whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Tried all sorts over the years and find Ecco the best. They cost as much as 1.5 or 2 others but they last twice as long or longer too. And they are the most comfortable.

Would you wear them year round?

Or would you have a different pair for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Think you can't go wrong with Footjoy. I had a pair going on easily 7 years. Kept in great condition and waterproofing never let me down.

I only bought myself a new pair this summer as I thought 7 years was taking the piss :D Got a lovely set of Under Armour shoes from McGuirks. Have always had footjoy and just thought I'd try something different.

These ones

Incredibly comfortable and have been easy to keep clean. Waterproofing so far has been no issue.

Also picked up a pair of these as an early christmas present. Got them from St.Margerets pro shop, they had a bit of a clearance on shoes that was great.They say they are waterproof, but I plan to wear them as a summer shoe.

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if I also grab a pair of Footjoys. Feels weird not having a pair haha. I was buying the same style for so many years, and just when I went into buy a new pair I didn't like the styles that were available.

Shoes can be very personal. There isn't really a best imo. You kinda just have to try a few out and you'll then know what your preference is. Find it weird because I would have done it for years with football boots, or with runners/trainers. Something another person claims is the best you might hate. The fits and stuff can vary across brands. Under Armour for example I'm a smaller size than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yes one pair spikeless for the summer and a pair of goretex w spikes for the winter. Waited for deals, paid about 160 each. Not cheap at all but you pay 120 for a pair of footboys or adidas too.

Haven’t played in 2 years so looking to get myself some new shoes. Have them Ecco ones above ordered. Think they will do until half way through the year next year then I’ll look into some summer ones.

Another great deal on the new Sketchers Elite V4. Over 100e in most places

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Skechers-Go-Golf-Elite-V4-Golf-Shoes-White-Navy-Red.html#SID=2546

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Plus 1 for under armour. Having tried many different brands, I will be sticking with under armour from now on. Comfortable and good waterproofing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement