Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lab grown diamond or other gemstone

• 24-11-2021 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone with experience on this?

I was getting a present today for the other half, a very well known jewellers in the city asked had I ever heard of lab grown diamonds, explained a bit about them, not mined etc.

Said they are identical to mined ones but grown so no environment impact.

Anyone heard of these, or was it waffle. As said guy said it was from a BIG chain of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Think they have to have a tiny stamp marked on them somewhere as they are ridiculously pure or something.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Inferior! The naturalness is part of the charm imo

I didn't think artificial diamonds had attained much popularity. I suppose technically they are less flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ElJaguar

I only buy blood diamonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

You may know this already but anyway, there is a supply of raw diamond big enough to give every person in the US a cup full of them. Theyre in no way rare. Just the supply is held down by debeers and a few others. The natural market value of diamond is about the same as shyte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I didn't actually!

Just something which came up from the jewellers themselves, your man said they are a sustainable alternative.

I thought he was talking rubbish,but apparently not!

Asked a friend yesterday, he said his recent engagement ring was a lab grown. I wonder are they as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

And the fact that mine workers mostly live in poverty due to low wages, and a lot of them are children, what effect does this have on their charm?

Okay fair enough. But clothes, runners, smartphone components and many other things are produced by child labour/in near-slave conditions so it is a wide problem usually ignored by most people.

If I had a choice between a natural diamond that had definitely been mined ethically and a lab grown one I'd prefer the former.

See, that was why I asked the initial question!

I never knew there was anything other than mined ones, and I know some mining conditions are bad.

Didnt actually know you could grow one in a lab. Just spoke to the jeweller again this morning as needed to order, he said the lab one has all the certs and such etc from a thing called GIA ( dont ask me)

Said only drawback is resale value, but as its a present I dont imagine I will sell it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, that's why I try my best to not support those industries any more than I have to.

As mentioned already, diamonds aren't rare, or particularly expensive. It's just the way the market is controlled and advertised that controls the price and appeal.

• Advertisement

Well if it's of heirloom quality or slightly lower the resale value could matter to whoever inherits it, in fifty or a hundred years time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Its very difficult to find an ethically processed diamond not from a lab, you'd be happy to pay a premium of 1000s, for an inferior product that no one but a professional could distinguish?

The technical flawlessness of lab grown diamonds are an indicator of their artificiality. They sell for less because they are less valuable.

A non-professional could struggle to distinguish diamond from zirconium.

Lads the 'inferior product' line is a bit of a joke. Diamonds are not washing machines, they are diamonds. Jewellers are generally marketing them as a cheap alternative to the real thing.

Yeah, just never knew before or thought about it.

I will explore more and come back. On the heirloom, it's more sentimental than anything, a ring for circa 2k.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mined diamonds are more expensive due to mining.

The rarity of unique stones produced by nature is a factor in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Except they may not be as rare as we are led to believe.. there are hoards of them- stored away to keep scarcity high.

Its only relatively recently that diamonds were heavily advertised as a must-have for engagement rings and so inflated their value...

“Roll it back”

Yes I agree. There is huge price manipulation just as there is manipulation in the silver market.

All assets are massively inflated at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

My mate works as a diamond trader. He has worked in the industry for decades, including for DeBeers who mange and control most mined diamonds in the world. He now sells unset cut diamonds into the jewellery trade.

A few years he sold almost no lab grown diamonds, now they make up the bulk of his business. They are better quality than mined diamonds and are cheaper, although the price differential has shrunk over the past couple of years he tells me.

There is no way to tell a lab grown diamond from a mined diamond except that the lab grown ones tend to be better quality. The GIA use the same rules for grading both types so a VS1 H 1CT diamond for example is the same whether lab grown or mined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My wife used to make diamonds in a factory out by M1/M50 junction years ago. 30c US a carat at the time was all they were worth.

It certainly used to be the case that man made diamond was not allowed to be used in the jewellery business, Debeers and the like wouldn't allow to protect their cartel and inflated pricing.

We've still got 2 vials of the stuff sitting in the home office.

Maybe I'm wrong, since I'm the only person who thought natural seemed better. It looks like lab grown diamonds are becoming popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

I don't understand the fascination with mined diamonds when there are hundreds of different gem stones and crystals like opals that are far more beautiful and intricate with a huge variety of shades and colours where the imperfections/contaminants actually do add to the beauty and uniqueness of the gem. Like a mined diamond is just a really shiny lump of well organised carbon, and are actually inferior to the lab grown ones. Why someone would work anything from 1-12 months of their life just to own an inferior gem baffles me. Get a ring made of meteorite, or some rare earth metal. Get a sapphire or an emerald or the gem that aligns with birth or something.

I can't see the diamond industry lasting in it's current form. Look at amethysts for example. Once their beautiful deep purple was prized as highly as rubies and sapphires, now because of massively increased supplies they are a tenth if not less than the price of their counterparts. Carbon is an abundant material, it might not be for a few decades but the time will come where the average person could probably have a diamond grower in their house for making tool tips etc. and all those mined diamonds will only have sentimental or historical value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People talking about the lab grown ones having a lower resale value, and they do but it's not like the mined ones retain most of their value after you leave the jewellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Child labour helps keep prices down to a more sustainable level.

I do not understand the fascination with having a vulgar piece of shiny stone on one's finger.

Thanks all.

Some feedback, I asked a more local Jeweler to see what they had in lab grown. Price was roughly 35% cheaper than mined, or the way I looked at it, I could get a sizably bigger ring for the price I had planned ( 1.8K)

The local chap said 5 years ago, not a sinner would but these, now they account for 30% of sales. Said yes, main issue is AT THE MOMENT, They dont know about the re-sale, but the process isnt really old enough to know this anyway.

Overall, I put in an order for a lab grown Sapphire and Diamond ring, cost was 1599 for this, but the equivalent one in mined was 2350, so overall I feel its good. They come with certification and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I wouldn't insult the wife by buying makey uppy fake diamonds. Not natural at all. That's part of the charm of real diamonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Same here. You’re basically saying “sure that’ll do and I’ll save a few quid” which is not really the signal you want to send with a gift for your partner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

My partner choose a lab grown diamond for her engagement right. The quality of the stone was far better in terms of clarity, flaws, colour.

I'm not one bit concerned of the retail value of the diamond. Far as we care the retail to see it on is zero but the ring looks fab. Substantial saving in the cost of 50% over the mined diamond. When your saving for a wedding, house and kids to come down the line she much rather have the ring she wanted and still have a small some in the bank.

OP good choice with the lab diamond.

Advertisement