Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork developments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Student accommodation is typically 6 small ensuite bedrooms with one shared kitchen / living room and are easier to fit into the footprint of a building as they only need one entrance door, its alot of extra income compared to one or two bed apts and you can clearly see that with the amount of them going up around Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are the major tax breaks still in place ? Or are they long gone ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

OCP going in for planning this week for Phase 1 of the South Docks development. 450,000sqft of office space and apartment blocks also

Odlums building being retained and upgraded. R&H Hall to be demolished for reasons in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

O'Callaghan Properties announcing Phase 1 of the docklands redevelopment. Already looks very promising. The one quibble would be the relative lack of apartments. They mention about 450,000 sq. feet of offices (so about 4,000 workers) but the article mentions 160 apartments. The "2,000 homes" in the title, I'm not sure of. Might be in future phases?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The 2k homes are indeed in future phases. That article mentions 160 apartments in Phase 1, of which 80 will be build to sell.

They seem to have prelet the hospital which means that should be a definite yes for development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Tomorrow's Examiner front page

Echo front page

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's always a cinema that never materialises... Great to see something happening here eventually but I'm betting the residential and hospital get watered down. Pity about R&H but it would take a charity case to try and do something with that.

Are Goulding's included in that 30-something acre land bank? Eyeballing a map the area north of centre Park road doesn't look that big alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

What's shown in the renderings is only around 8-10 acres. To get 30 acres, they'll need to take the entire site down as far as Monahan Road.

To unlock the worksite, they are going to have to complete the transfer of the port operations to Belvelly. Permission was only granted earlier this year for site clearance at Marino Point, which was expected to take 18 months.

I just hope the hospital operator, Orpea, has started their negotiations with the VHI. Otherwise they'll be heading down the same road as Sheehan Medical who initially had the Mater premises in Mahon.

The planners need to tie developments like this into the developer providing a significant percent of the housing/apts required to accommodate the staff for them otherwise OCD are just making profit at the expense of everyone trying to rent in Cork, developers keep crying about apts not being cost effective but I'm sure they would change their tune quick enough when their lucrative office blocks can't be built without housing.

I don't understand how housing, schooling, and grocery shop provisions are not part of planning applications.

The lack of these three, alone, is a massive driver of car traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Mav11

The lack of these three, alone, is a massive driver of car traffic.

I see that a new bridge and LUAS are included in the O'Callaghan proposal. It would be nice if that happened.

Oh for sure but would love to see a drive to have the new city as a living city and not just an empty shell when commuters go home.

Every time you have a commuter (and I am one) you end up with houses requiring 2 cars anyway. Have people working/living/learning in the city and the NEED for a car diminishes. Families, to be fair, generally will need one but the requirement for 2 should be gone

That's it though, OCP will say to the planners "oh all our workers will be whisked into the offices from Ballincollig on the new light rail system and that new Monard town will have loads of new housing so we don't need to provide anything locally because the government are definitely going to build all that because they have said they will, also here are some lovely 3D renders for your planning dept to wet themselves over" 🙄

You might have read between the lines and guessed I would like them to just build the f#cking apts and houses Cork City needs not more bloody offices!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Is that the JCD building on the right of the second image?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Just a placeholder building image I think. The revised office development there is shorter, more squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd love to have seen something imaginative done with R&H Hall buildings but it was never going to happen, really.

If that bridge doesn't get built, they are going to have to figure out a way of getting traffic out other than Albert Road - that's already problematic.

Still, good to see some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Only there for the shiny rendered images. The light rail and bridge are dependent on public funding being made available to get them built. You're talking around 20 years for that to happen under CMATS.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Global warming will destroy the Cork docklands , extreme floods and rising sea levels.

I don't understand these investments .

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

Eventually the City Council will see sense and build a tidal barrier at the mouth of Lough Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not without letting the OPW dig up half the city and block off the river first I fear.

• Advertisement

Apparently there are minimum base levels for docklands developments-so the city centre will be long gone before any new dockland developments...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

PLANNING permission has been granted for a further tall, c €30million+, 243-bed student accommodation complex at Cork city’s Victoria Cross, on a former garage site which has been sold for €4.1 million.

It features several blocks, including one of ten storeys, facing UCC’s own ongoing Crow’s Nest 255-bed facility, under advanced construction with Sisk and which itself has four blocks of seven to nine storeys, under the shadow of the 16-storey County Hall.

While on the one hand, high density is the way to go, not sure I'd be so keen if I lived in one of the houses nearby...

I've no real sympathy for anyone who bought a house near UCC, in the past 25 years, especially with the growth of RTC/CIT/MTU.

It's like people buying next to a stadium giving out about match day crowds.

What the hell did they think was going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Except that there are other things in those areas that would make them good areas to live....walking distance to town, and working in e.g CUH, The Bons, Business Park on Model Farm Rd, ESB and others. People working in these places need places to live, and don't want a long commute.

I agree that high-rise is the way forward in many instances, but not to the exclusion of others.

And of course, many people have lived in those areas for much longer than 25 yrs.

It's a low rise area between 2 massive universities and the major hospital in the region.

For ALL the reasons you quote it is a no brainer that it is going highrise

Hardly high rise though .. it's 4 or 5 storeys, higher than the neighbours sure ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

It's 2 metres according to regulations. That is why the entrance to the One Albert Quay underground car park is up a ramp. The older Webworks nextdoor has no ramp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭thomil

On a completely different note, Coca Cola Zero Bikes, the bike rental scheme in Cork, has undergone quite a few changes.

For starters, it has lost its Coke Zero branding, now simply going as "TFI Bikes". The website has been rebranded, as has the software on the individual stations. The Android app has been updated as well, while the iOS App is, as of December 6th, undergoing final App Store approval. The website link remains the same at www.bikeshare.ie

Going hand in hand, the first-generation Coke branded bikes are being replaced by new bikes carrying the TFI Bikes branding. While they are generally similar to the original bikes, the gearshift mechanism on the handle has been simplified, the rear mud guard has been enlarged and also extended backwards to protect the rear light.

Finally, five additional stations were opened in September and October, on the Mardyke, College View Road, outside the Model Farm Road Business Park and at MTU/CIT.

I wrote about these changes on my blog a month or two back. I hope it's okay if I link that here:

Cork Bike Share System - Kicking the Coke Habit? (thomil-english.blogspot.com)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement