Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Were you Covid Czar what would your policy be atm (23.11.21)

• 23-11-2021 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Lets sort the let it rip merchants from the Level 5 lovers.

Time to get off the fence

Were you Covid Czar what would your policy be atm (23.11.21) 76 votes

Let it rip - lift all restrictions - vunerable can cocoon - burn the masks
    51%
    LumenDannoenglanderCushtieyoyoF1fanThe Davestatorrovers_runnerDeeper BlueyoungbloodmikekerryIrish_wolfazizAtlantic DawnDelinquintchoronzonixCoeusRichard HillmanOops!Dickie10 39 votes
    Lockdown - level 5 - close schools/hospitality/5km
    1%
    livia21 1 vote
    Some light restrictions - what we have now
    26%
    CharlieDSN[Deleted User]Stone Deaf 4evrsydthebeatprunudoOutkast_IREGPointahnowbrowncowWhitters22omicronPops_20JPCN1[Deleted User]BanditLukecheezumsHeracliusLuxembourgoScaredyteethApothic_Red 20 votes
    Some heavier strictions - not full level 5 - perhaps a circuit breaker
    17%
    Supercellvictor8600rgbm1odyssey06banie01d15udecantwbr1amaccawally79whatlliwearBenimarI carried a watermelonskeogh82 13 votes
    No opinion - just here for the lols
    3%
    xhomelezz[Deleted User]Irish Stones 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the trigger has to be pulled... old Level 3

We didnt need full lockdown last november either for that matter.

Also get the boosters out there

Need more pcr test capacity and subsidised antigen tests.

Get contact tracing going in schools

Get portable hepa filters into schools etc & nightclubs if they are open instead of half on half off masks in coppers

But everywhere else... mask up

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My ideas -

• Spend several billion on the health service. Plan and build a temporary COVID hospital in every major city, to get COVID patients seperated from the main hospitals. This is a new disease that we need a general increase in care for. Override planning laws via a decree if necessary to get them built.
    • Take ward nurses and immediately train them in what I'll call "ICU-lite". ICU care, but tailored for COVID care only, not full ICU. Whenever there is a surge, redeploy them to the COVID hospitals. Pay them extra for this.
    • Take student nurses and some of the 50k people who came back to Ireland at the start of this and train them up to cover the other nurses when they go do ICU-lite care.

Antigen test or PCR test the entire health service every Monday morning (or maybe fortnightly)

Anytime there is a wave, get those hospitals staffed, otherwise keep them on ice. It'll be expensive. But we've spent €40billion on COVID, lets spend 10% of that on sorting out the hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Immediately restrict and I mean Immediately

Michael Martin

Stephen Donnelly

Leo Varadkar

Eamonn Ryan

Norma Foley

Heather Humphries

Simon Harris

Paul Reid

And get people in Place that

A. Comprehend what is going on

B. Can actually communicate

C Can actually make coherent decisions

D End this ClusterFuck of absolute chaos.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Covid with no vaccine = No hospital bed

Unless a documented medical reason as to why no vaccine.

• Advertisement

Let it rip whatever it is... I must be living in a parallel universe, I don't know one person who has died from or even ended up in hospital with the virus.. I do know loads and loads of people who have or had the virus including some very ill people and all got over it with no problems..Before anyone jumps down my throat I am not denying there is a virus I am just sharing my experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I bleedin well haven’t a f00king clue tbh, though I may formulate an opinion later.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

End testing of the wild. This daily bollox of XXXX cases isn't worth anything now that vaccines are deployed. Put all HSE staff back into the departments where they belong.

Everyone admitted to hospital is tested at the door. Covid positive, off you go to a regional dedicated Covid hospital - we had "Fever Hospitals" a century ago, why the hell do we rarely learn from history.

Also, one mention of a new variant spreading rapidly and I'd close every airport and ferry port to passenger travel - seal the border with NI if they didn't agree to close their airports and ferry ports to passenger travel. We're an island and it should be used to the advantage of both jurisdictions. Any unionist with a problem can have an all expenses paid 1 way ticket holiday to a "mainland city" of their choice paid for by Dublin.

So, yeah basically what this guy said too:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I would ban all restrictions, impose overt constitutional bans on any such restrictions ever being introduced again, and a constitutional ban on removing that article. I would also push for charges of Treason against all those who had voted in favour of any restrictions in the past, and sedition against journalists and the like who promoted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Hold firm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

Poll needs another option, wouldn't condone letting it rip but it be nice for some of the current restrictions be eased. Namely proper nightclub opening hours and the removal of vaccine certs. Removing mask use for the winter would be foolish imo.

It is good to see the poll indicating the majority want no further restrictions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Keep going as we are light restrictions but realistically post Xmas will see cases rocket and the government hit the panic button unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Seems to me there's absolutely no Panic in government circles, infact they appear to be in complete denial of what is going on, asleep at the wheel so to speak. Quite astonishing lack of any leadership.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Boosters for all above 18 but only via booking online or phone for under 50's to speed up rollout to those who will likely attend.

50+, healthcare workers and groups 4,7 get text appointments automatically.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Drop all restrictions and reign in all spending relating to Covid measures. Begin a huge programme to ramp up hospital capacity over the next 5 years. Continue the vaccination/booster programme for whoever wants it but remove any vax requirements for day to day activities. Do a public health campaign next autumn advising the elderly and vulnerable to get their Covid shot if they wish. Legislate for full sick pay entitlements for all workers both public and private - advise that people can use this to stay home over the Winter months if they are concerned they may have Covid. Disband NPHET and end the mass testing programmme, particularly for young and the asymptomatic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you were exposed to Ebola, you would be quarantined. No choice to run about and expose your family, friends, and members of your community to a deadly disease. Those in your community would be vaccinated. No choice. If you refused to get vaccinated you would be quarantined.

COVID-19 is a deadly disease. Millions have died worldwide. Across the pond 774,580 USA citizens have died, and this deadly virus continues to spread rapidly, both domestically and to us across the pond.

Populations with millions of citizens that refused to be vaccinated are breeding grounds for not only the spread of Covid, but also providing the biological statistical probability size to increase the likelihood of virus variations to evolve and spread like delta and super delta. Delta has been markedly more contagious than original Covid, and the next variation to evolve may be even more deadly, perhaps circumventing existing vaccines and killing millions more.

A small city in Northern California told city employees that they must get vaccinated in 3 weeks or not report to work. Freedom of choice protesters marched about city hall demanding reversing policy, or many city employees would quit and the city services could not function. Well, 4 weeks have passed, only one employee quit out of more than 200 city employees. Employees got vaccinated. The vaccination mandate is still in effect and the city continues to provide necessary services.

My university employer mandated that all students, faculty, staff, and administration were to be vaccinated, or they would not be allowed to enter campus this fall semester. This vaccination mandate holds for months now. We did not close and higher education continues, with thousands of us in compliance with the vaccination mandate.

If this pandemic was Ebola, I doubt that we would be reluctant to get vaccinated. For some unexplainable reasons millions continue not to get vaccinated, and sadly many millions have died a horrific death as a result.

What is all the fuss about vaccination mandates today? Historically they are not new in western democracies. Polio was epidemic in California beginning 1901. California K-12 required polio vaccines for admissions to their schools for decades. This is the largest state in the USA with almost 40 millions. As a result of a successful vaccination program like California, the last case of poliovirus originating in USA was back in 1979.

Are these czarist polices or just good public health sense?

Post edited by Black Swan on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I would announce a once off €1 tax on every man, woman and child. To be paid directly to the Czar.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

So a quick poll assessment from the OP 25.11.21

So 55% say "Let it Rip".

This would be vastly different to the Journal Polls

I have my own theory on this aggressive opinion but I'll hold for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Full and frank messaging and discussion, people are going to die but it will be over faster if we behave differently. If you are scared/vulnerable you should lock yourself down but it will NOT be mandatory. Modify your behavior don't expect others to so behave accordingly.

Massive advertising campaign for extra vitamin D3 and k2 over the winter. Acquire stock and distribute to everyone via post and at local level. Hammer the point home D3 K2.

Gut contact tracing, it's endemic now. Complete waste of resources. End any free PCR testing for asymptomatic except in few circumstances. Investigate PCR cylce thresholds, trail lowering them in certain areas and monitor data from those areas with scrutiny.

Open up funding for antiviral trials. Look closely at low/mid vaccination countries with success and trial these methods.

Get rid of covid pass, it's just infection/movement license and is useless in epidemiological sense.

This lad has useful ideas also:

Full transparency of data, have it highly stratified as much as possible.

Investigate recovered levels of staff in healthcare, prioritise/cross train them to critical covid contact positions or as much as possible. Incentive this with extra pay.

Gut PUP as much as possible, get people back to work. Slash as much spurious covid grants/loans as possible.

Proper H13 HEPA filtration portable/fixed/retrofit *everywhere* as much as possible, leverage PUP savings for this.

Start sovereign wealth fund to mitigate the previous expenditure, look at gigantic overhaul of NGO funding and Foreign Aid.

Investigate and prosecute coivid funding corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Tigthen up the testing criteria, people with no symptoms €100 charge for the test.

Vaccines for all the vulnerable in society.

Schools: shorten mid terms and summer holidays for the next 5 years to make up for the massive time lost so far during this.

Employee nutritionists for all schools, more education on feeding ourselves, home economics starts in primary school, have individual health plans for children who are overweight meetings with parents to oversee plans, increase of physical education by 100% of all schools swimming lessons in every year of school years.

Fast food levy €5 on all purchases over €10, plain packaging for all sugary drink and all snacks crisps and chocolates increase levy’s on these.

Healthcare: Audit all admin/management roles payoff duplicate roles, use more efficient processes from the private healthcare sector, one Health Dept overseas it all.

Health of frontline workers weight management programs to help with the problems with front line workers, reduce pay if not hitting weight targets, better education on shift working.

Fat tax implemented like Japan on employers.

All the above would be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

No opinion - just here for the lols

I knew voting I'm here for lols was right.

On more serious note I strongly believe, if EVERYONE would follow the very basic measures, we would be in different situation. But of course it's only wild fantasy..

Id vote for a lot heavier restrictions on posting about covid

Round the unvaccinated up and put them into work camps

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

My first act would be to break down the maths of this apparent pandemic to the public. To gently explain to the people that as per figres from HSPC.ie, just over 500 of our 5500 plus "Covid deaths" have happened in an ICU setting- 11% was the exact percentage when I last checked.

Meaning that 89% of deaths happened among people who were already to terminally ill with pre existing conditions that medics ruled a transfer to ICU would do nothing but prolong the inevitable.

I would open everything, pointing to the UK as a country which has successfully done it since July, and most of the US before that, and Sweden who never bothered with most of this nonsense. I would advise anyone who wishes to take vaccines and boosters. I would put no pressure on younger, fit and healthy people to take one as they are a- at negligible risk of a severe outcome from Covid and b- Cillian De Gascun the other week on Twitter basically said the vaxxed can transmit as much as the unvaxxed- ergo, if your older relatives are vaxxed, it seems to make little difference to their health whether you are or are not vaxxed (a main selling point of the initial campaign being we needed to be vaxxed to add an extra layer of protection to our parents and grandparents)

Though prosecution would be outside my remit as Covid Czar, I would publicly request that the DPP looks into prosecuting Micheal Martin, with a view to imprisonment and asset seizure, for his gross negligence in leaving our borders open last December, when it was known circa 1 in 30 Londoners were carrying the Kent variant. This bumbling buffoon thought it would be sound practice to allow in tens of thousands of ex pats. Had he not done so we would have likely exited all restrictions by around March- instead we are effectively still under restrictions that originated last December.

I would mandate for special mask only train carriages and buses, where paranoid eejits who think their 5 euro magic Dealz cloth protects them can all huddle in terror while normal people use the other carriages and buses without a shyt given.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

I'd also request a study be commissioned into suicides during the pandemic, in particular to ascertain any spikes during particularly irresponsible public utterances (such as when Tony Holohan needlessly described Delta as a "dark cloud on the horizon").

Evidence of spikes would, I hope, lead to criminal charges of using a public medium to transmit a message likely to cause harm and needless distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A constitutional ban on removing an article from the constitution is moving into authoritarian territory. Treason for voting on what you believe would protect the country and sedition for those who raise awareness of the dangers of this disease are also quite far along the dictatorial path. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

So you do the right thing by getting tested, it's something else and you get hit for €100 next time you have symptoms you say it's ok it will pass and it becomes a super spreader that infects the whole of your local pub - that gets you banned those that survived will never speak to you again, you are 20 and can't get laid because no woman will be seen talking to you, you life descends into a train crash and you end up a homeless prostitute giving out handjobs to feed your drink and drugs habit.

If I was in charge, two week snap lock down everybody has to take an antigen test every day. Close the borders open the country. Everybody has to report for monthly PCR test and do a weekly antigen test. Everybody gets vaccinated with all of the vaccines or has to live in on an Island with Dana and Daniel, nightly concert hosted by Pat the plank Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

We're already suffering from authoritarianism and dictatorship, so your point is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ah, the old 'Two wrongs make a right' school of thought: Punish people who think differently than you and justify it by claiming oppression under your previous opponents. Who does that benefit in the long run?

I understand people having problems with restrictions and wanting more freedom but actively seeking to punish those who were acting to protect the country's citizens from a potentially fatal disease is a shocking level of bitterness and vindictiveness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement