Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

really frustrating searching for a rental property in dublin

• 18-11-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

the rental are very very high. For myself/wife I am looking for a 1 bedroom <1400 or 2 bedroom <1700 (to be shared with another) rental property. Nearly for a month. The ones I send interest in daft, usually never respond. For those who respond, there is a public viewing, I never get picked. I have a decent job, permanent employment. I am at my wits end. The govt in this country is f***g useless. sadly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ewiz9

Any suggestions, help, pointers to rental property in the above price range, in a decent neighborhood in Dublin, welcome.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Simple answer, no.

Those prices are way too low your choice will be limited tbh

would you please suggest a more realistic price range?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd probably suggest going to at least 2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The government have manufactured this situation and are useless so should be turfed out after the next election. But I wouldn't be making long term plans in Ireland if you can as the government are not making any meaningful efforts to change the rental situation and crash rents while increasing supply. The pandemic has really shown how our little country is really still a little country despite our illusions of big tech and finance grandeur.

The only thing to do with Daft in such a stressed environment is to log on multiple times per day with your saved search and email each ad indicating you are ready to view the place that same day. Make sure your English is spot on (I'm just judging from your OP so don't mean to cause any offence), convey that you are ready to move in and have a deposit and rent ready to go; specifically set out your job and the fact it is a permanent/full time role - I would be happy to proof read your cover letter if you want to send it by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Not even; across Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford there were just 81 homes available to rent on November 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

Blaming the government on the current situation is a pointless exercise IMHO. The opposition policies will mess it up even more. You'll be a long time waiting for a politician to suggest policies which might actually help - i.e. create more landlords, or more property lettings.

From a practical point of view, work on a reply email which outlines your positive attributes (good job, good job security, no pets, solid finances, good references, like gardening and reading etc). Set up alerts on Daft so you are ready to respond as soon as the ad goes online.

With so many people wanting properties coming up for rent (especially in the price point you are at), you have to stand out from the crowd. A LL with a 2 Bed letting in Dublin for less than 1700 will be getting a flood of responses. If you're initial pitch is sloppy, other potential tenants will outshine you.

Also try to talk to letting agents in the area you want. Sell yourself as an exceptional tenant to them. They will likely be the decision makers in a lot of cases.

Good luck. I know its not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

So few! This is a great victory against the landlord class. Soon we will end landlording completely.

Only being sarcastic. That's a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What would help the market would be to encourage investment companies to invest and build. But of course that wouldn't sit will with the current narrative that investment companies are evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Tax insentive irish LLs will increase supply , oh wait the regulations and caps have already fcuked the market

On a note dec is a less busy letting time, maybe wear a santa outfit at viewings to standout more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Agree about speaking to the local Estate Agents in the area you'd like. If you approach them in the same way as you would with a recruitment agency when you go looking for a new job, ie. provide them with the relevant information and satisfy them that you are the best candidate for the property. They are acting on the landlords behalf and will shortlist the applicants who meet the landlords requirements. If you make a good impression on the EA they are more likely to recommend you to their client landlords. Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

OP where in Dublin do you want to live? Is it city centre or suburbs? The only way you could get a place for the money you are talking about is if the landlord is stuck at a low rent by RPZ. The things is people on those deals aren't moving and if they do they tell their friends first so the landlord doesn't even advertise. You appear to be at least €500 below actual rents

anywhere is fine. I am not even being offered one. so, it's not like I can choose from many options. I understand my rental range is lower in the current market. But it is a high percent of my after-tax income. currently, I am looking to rent a two-bed at 1.8-2k and share one room with another. I don't even know how people (esp. one income families) can afford to rent for such a high rental. it looks to me that people who are dole + social housing probably have better living standards than me.

Do you intend to rent out the second room after you rent the apartment? A lot of landlords do not allow this

And also most landlords ask for proof of income and will refuse to rent to someone if they feel their rent is too high a portion of their income

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Got an apartment at D6. a 2 bed 1 bath. thanks for all the pointers.

Post edited by ewiz9 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement