Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Darren & Joe’s Free Gaff

Options
  • 04-11-2021 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Has anyone seen this yet? I gave it a go on the player. My god this is bad, this is up there with the Big Bow Wow and any of Alison Spittle’s muck. I have seen their stuff on Facebook and listened to 2 of their podcasts and was genuinely hopeful that this would be good and it was good to see two “unconnected” RTÉ newcomers given their shot but it wasn’t to be IMO, this was pure shoite. Got through about 15 minutes of the shouting and had to switch off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I watched the first one. On one hand, it's good to see new faces and people being given an opportunity, on the other hand, it didn't really work for me.

For a short episode some of the sketches were quite similar (the bus driver and the guy in the chipper) .

Comedy is really subjective and maybe it'll appeal to others, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Yeah, as you say subjective so possibly for others. I thought their other stuff was very good and the two podcasts were quite funny. Wondering if RTÉ “input” on the sketch show took over and turned it to shįte. It is good to finally see two new faces that haven’t come from the RTÉ dynasty given a shot though, hope they make a go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wonder how long before they get the 2fm breakfast show slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Never heard of these two but I'm going to take a wild guess that they both have beards and their promo photos have them mugging furiously?

Edit: yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

OMG I lasted 3 mins and I was pushing myself to keep watching for those 3 minutes

Utter dross - when was this kind of stuff ever considered funny outside of some crappy youtube channel, actually I've seen stuff on youtube that is 100x better than this

Does RTE consider this as investing in home programming to fulfil their remit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Lex_Luthor

I was hoping they would be like the young Irish comedian Sean Burke, who is excellent. I was very disappointed and gave two episodes a good watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

That Darren Conway lad has a big following online. But he's essentially to the Dubs what Rory Stories is to culchies. The dubs hate when you tell them that because they ridicule Rory's Stories for being shite.

I don't find him funniest in the slightest. His comedy routine is basically him in conversations with himself as characters and him going "Go on"..."no"..."I said go on"...."Go away would ya"

The other lad Joe McGucken has been trying to make sketches online for years, posts over in reddit.

This is RTE seeing Darren Conway being popular online and then trying to take those viewers and try make them bigger. It's pure scutter though.

You'd wonder where these lads will be in 10 years time. Probably extras in fair city or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Darren Conway is about as funny as a dose of arse cancer he makes Rory Stories seems like art in comparison. His "funniest joke" is that Mary Lou is his ma he's absolutely putrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

+1

Apart from being funnier, he's a lot better at acting, makes his characters seem a lot more fleshed-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Rory’s Stories is pure scutter as well though, just like Conway and his pal he had a few brief entertaining moments in the beginning, then he tried pulling at heart strings by tapping into mental health and just churned out serious bottom barrel slapstick ****. Even had his mot start up a platform of her own which was woeful also. Has he dumped that fat lad sidekick? He made an awful tool of himself on TikTok, started releasing videos of himself when he was smashed and getting into heated rows with people over Liverpool games, pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Lex_Luthor

I can't for the life of me understand how that Rory's stories get so much of a following and the fact he has live shows!!!!

Advertisement