Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

50K to invest prsa vs managed fund advice

• 05-11-2021 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Folks

First Post here and thanks if you can offer any tips/ideas.

Mortgage paid, no loans , kids reared.Healthy savings and public pension in 6yrs time.

Looking for advice on investing 50k. Thinking of maxing out my and my wife's existing prsa over a few years due to the tax relief and small fees payable.

Other idea which I have verbally committed to with a financial advisor.invest the 50k in the irish life protected consensus market fund.total annual management fees 1.82%.

Just don't want the 50k sitting in a bank.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 grassmoon

AMC of 1.82% is quite high. Davy Execution only PRSA offer 0.75% and let you invest in passive index funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Open a Degiro account and put it all in SMT, thank me in 6 years.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Any active fund you get from an Irish finance company will have high fees and poor performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

(SMT = Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust PLC)

How long do you plan on investing for?

Depending on that answer. Similar to SuperCell above, I would open a Degiro account and put it all on an ETF or something like SMT. Just make sure you understand the tax implications of whatever options you choose.

For some background reading, I really like this website AnIrishInvestorsGuide – The simple guide for Irish investors.

and this is worth reading too

Don’t invest in an ETF until you understand the tax (irishtimes.com)

AMC of 1.82% is horrendous.

If you add the Other Ongoing Costs to that (assumimg that you can Irish Life to disclose them) you're probably looking at an equivalent Total Expense Ratio of circa 2.5%.

Way better value in the market than that for these products.

What dod the finiancial advisor say about putting some money into the PRSA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's the worst possible type of fund in this case. It's protected, which contributes to the cost, but the protection is likely not worth it, and then it's a consensus fund, which means the active management is merely copying the average asset allocations of other actively managed funds; hardly worth paying an active sized fee for.

A low cost investment trust like SMT is a good option. I'm invested in them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 R0me0

Thanks Folks.

Decided not to go ahead with the Irish life investment even before I read your opinions.

I didn't discuss in depth the prsa idea with the financial advisor.

The investment would be long-term 10yrs min.

FYI. I have a deffered pension from a prior employment that i left in 1999 that was worth £10k at the time.Its current value is €74k.Hence my interest in putting the lump sum into equities.

I will do a bit of research on your advice and take it from there.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

Would you be able to tell me more regarding tax implications when investing in SMT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@Uli84 I personally don't invest in Investment Trusts (ITs) so I'm not the best person to answer. I believe the main difference is how they are treated for tax. With ITs you pay 33% Capital Gains Tax when you withdraw the funds as opposed to the 41% exit tax every 8 years and on withdrawal with EFTs. With ITs you can also use your annual CGT allowance of €1270 to offset losses against any gains. They are definitely worth looking into and they have a lot of strong\experienced followers here so I hope one of those could jump in and help you.

Advertisement